Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits info.

What nerve is right! Someone asked for OPINIONS on this forum and Beowulf gave his as did a couple others,and well ,in my opinion,you just confirmed his.
    How pathetic!

Blog Entries

Cool Oh no.....!

It's "the battle of the Ricks!" Hey Double "R", don't run off. And don't get mad at Beu, here in America he protects his local citizenry. I like the fact that you had the guts to show up and speak your mind. I don't know you but I hear good things about your manuals. The "survival" necklace is probably a great idea, but don't bash the Wolves who growl at you. If your product is as good as you say it'll stand on it's own, right? As for Kevin McCafferty I've read his stuff and was not all that impressed. Give me guys like some of the talent we've got here any 'ole day. My brother-in-law was a Ranger, my oldest son a Marine during the 1st Gulf war, my middle brother was a supply Sargent for the Army Corps of Engineers, my kid brother served as a member of the "ready" team of the US Army and was in Panama when the Shah of Iran fled his country, & I couldn't even get into the "friggen" Boy Scouts, OK? If I had the bread I buy your books based on the positive reviews. Seen your necklace and can't afford it right now, but if you send me one to test I'll give it a run like you wouldn't believe! However, you probably have a lot more important things going on over in Italy, but I, for one, would like to see you become a more permanate fixture around here. We have a lot of neophytes just achin' to learn about Survival and you have a lot of knowledge to share. How about it? Or do you just get mad and "hit & run"?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 11-30-2007 at 09:57 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

City Survivalist Proud American's Avatar

Default Im with Rick and Beo

Ranger Rick i dont know any thing about wilderness survival products, ive seen your product though and thought it was good, but your mistake was posting. Registering an posting to try and cover your butt was in all sense of the word .......pathetic. If your products as good as you say it is then by no means should Beo's statement should have offended you. Your product quality should speak for itself.Also Beo, he's right none of his stuff as far as i can tell is copied from the Army Ranger Handbook, check it out yourself, heres the web page for the whole book.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/100893/ebo...anger-Handbook

SO my final verdict, Rick, Beo dosent need your back he can perfectly take on 1000 of those Ranger Ricks. Save your efforts for bigger fish k.

Blog Entries

Default Hey Ranger Rick...

Yeah I went to Ranger School but if you don't believe me I don't give two sh*ts, bet I run your old azz in the ground out in the forests or mountains. But none of that maters anyway, now onto your items.
    The wire saw is trash, not in use today in Iraq or elsewhere by the U.S. Army Rangers, or SF, I know this cause even though I'm out I have plenty of friends still in (if you are a ranger then you may too, or maybe your old school and most of you have gotten out) but... what I was saying was my opinion only my opinion and not that of others here or elsewhere. Maybe they were a little strong but then then I tend to heavy handed, so what get over it jackazz, maybe I don't like the whistle as survival gear... sounds stupid to me never used one in the Army or now, the magnesium & flint fire starter I like, the signal mirrors that come with my survival kits- I don't like ain't got no one to look good for in a survival situation and if I got the fire starter I can lite a signal fire forget the mirror you'll see smoke before the mirror, the compass is good no better than any other compass just because you put rubber on yours, "The folding knives that come with my kits come with serrated blades, which means the blade won’t dull so easy and will keep on cutting longer than regular ol’straight blades that will need resharpening." Not true, serrated does not mean it won't dull dufis that is for cutting and won't last any longer than my straight edged knife.
    "I sell two types of survival kits, (a) fully assemble & ready-to-wear and (b) assemble-it-yourself. When I assemble the wire saws, I always pull & jerk hard on both ends to make sure they are tightly secure. And then I throughly inspect and double check all the items before mailing them off to my customers."
    Ready to wear, great fashion statement bs in the wilderness.
    "Someone wrote: "...if he had been in a real survival situation he would have been screwed?" Oh com’on now, just because one of those wire saw ends popped off it doesn’t mean you can’t use the saw. All you have to do is just grab a stick and wrap the end of the wire saw around it, tie it in a knot and you can still use it to cut wood. If you had an hand axe and the handle broke would you say “oh poop, now I’m screwed.” I wouldn’t, I would try to find a piece of wood to replace the handle. Give me a break fellas, use a little bit of ingenuity."
    If your selling this and it breaks what is that telling you.
    The drinking tube is good in my opinion, if you want one in your pack. I don't but then again this is just my opinion but you must know my opinion matters or you would not have gotten so upset about me trashing your junk survival gear. Anyway Ranger Rick, bro don't get so upset if don't like your gear, its just one guys opinion. I'm sure when you were in some guys didn't like the stuff you taught, made them do, orders you gave, but so what. Hope the gear works great in the upcoming mag and you sell a bundle of survival gear, even hope ypou drop us a line or two here and give us some survival tips. But in the end it boils down to I don't like some (notice I said some) of the gear you sell, just my opinion like it or not, don't care either way and if my rant offended you well I'm... nah, tuff sh*t don't care.
    See ya and Lead the Way!
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Okay, I've taken a long breath and kicked some chat around. The first rule of war is know your enemy. RR you should have ASKED why folks felt the way the did. You had a good opportunity and the potential to improve your product by listening to your customers and you did not do that. PERHAPS, someone would have explained a weakness you had not considered or had not, to date, uncovered. PERHAPS, they would have offered some avenue to improve your product. PERHAPS they would have just vented. Either way, you stood to gain a lot of respect from a wide and varied membership. But you chose name calling instead. So did I and I apologize for that. I'm a better man than that.

I still fervently believe, however, what you did was wrong and genuinely counter productive to your goal.

Edit: Proud American, for a 15 year old you have wisdom beyond your years.
    "If your products as good as you say it is then by no means should Beo's statement should have offended you. Your product quality should speak for itself." No one could have said that more eloquently. That is true for any product made regardless of who makes it.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-30-2007 at 09:58 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hey Wolves!

Just got back from RR's web-site and had been entertaining the thought of blocking his URL when I noticed at the bottom of the page a link to this site. Also I found the pic he was referring me to and he's right, it's a hoot. Ok, his ears are probably ringin' like the "bells of St. Mary's" now!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Don't get mad at Ranger Rick, actually he stuck up for his product and I for one like that he came on here and did it, while I don't own any of his items a couple of my friends do and some like them and some just incorporate them into their gear. Now since he stood up for his stuff I'll order one and see first hand what I think. I've used certain things of his and some not. But don't let what I say sway you on the products he sells, if it matters then get it and test firsthand. BUT I do so love all the back up. And yeah I apoligize for the names and mean comments I said when I don't know the man, he's probably a nice guy and is at least doing his thing to help spread survival information and awareness. Sorry Ranger Rick.
    Beo,
    Oh yeah I got a Ranger Handbook, several actually but thanks.
    Last edited by Beo; 11-30-2007 at 10:21 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I can't say I thought that was professional but I can't blame him for coming on an venting. I even thought it was kinda funny. It may actually make a difference to his business if enough ppl read what is said on this forum if this site really is that popular world wide (not just in Indiana since so many of you guys are from there!) that link at the bottom is probably a big factor too. . . Anyways I'll stick with maintaining my own kit cuz I'm crazy like that.

Default Hahaha, thanks for those comments

Hahaha, thanks for those follow up comments, I had a good laugh, enjoyed reading them.

Sorry, thanks for the invitation to hang around here, but I'm not one of those who hang out in forums 24-7-12. Unlike some of you here, I got a life and better things to do with my time than to hid behind a screen throwing rocks at others. And think you kicked someone's butt just because they posted a few comments on a forum and didn't return. So wrong and so immature.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind visiting forums from time to time, especially in the winter time while I'm waiting for it to snow here in Italy so I can hit the slopes up in the Alps.

I said what I wanted to say on this forum and made my point. And based on all the emails I received this morning from quite a few of your members, visitors and viewers, I am very pleased with the outcome. And I am NOT talking about sales, screw that! I am talking about the positive emails I received in support of what I stated here.

So keep thinking just because someone posted something here once or twice and a few of you puppies got pissed off, barked & howled at the moon, don't think you chased him or her away.

Why?

Because this is an open forum, which means it's not only viewed by registered members, but the entire cyberspace internet community. So the few negative & hostile comments some of you made towards me, you just showed everyone on the internet what type of individuals you really are. So enjoy your new fame. As for me, I think my military record, reputation and accomplishments speak for itself as to what type of individual I am.

Again, I said what I wanted to say here and based on all the emails I received so far this morning, I am very pleased and happy.

Hey, no need to apologize to me, I enjoyed the comments some of you made here, really. Thanks for allowing me to express my opinions, comments and defend my product, I just might be back again later.

If not, to the few [and not all] of you puppies who think I just cut & run and can't take the heat...

Now, now, now. Come on, I did twenty-one years in the United States Army as a high-speed Airborne grunt & Ranger. Do really believe someone like me, though a bit old out of shape, would be afraid of some of your sorry @sses?

Maybe in "YOUR DREAMS!"

And to all of you who read my comments here and sent me private emails, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Take care all!

Yours truly, again

Army Ranger Rick Tscherne
    US Army, Ret. (1972-93)

"Been there, done that and served our country - HAVE YOU?"

City Survivalist Proud American's Avatar

Default Quesstion For Ranger Rick

US Army, Ret. (1972-93)

Good sayin Ranger Rick sadly many ppeople dont reccognise how great there country is(especialy Americans). Also, Rangerr Rick 1993 is year of Black Hawk Down know anyone involved or somthn new the book didt uncover.

BTW it specificaly says no advertising your product on this site but i guess defendin dosent break the rules.
    Proud American

Here lies my great advice from my years of experience......

Blog Entries

Cool AW Dble "R"....

Sorry, thanks for the invitation to hang around here, but I'm not one of those who hang out in forums 24-7-12. Unlike some of you here, I got a life and better things to do with my time than to hid behind a screen throwing rocks at others. And think you kicked someone's butt just because they posted a few comments on a forum and didn't return. So wrong and so immature.

SARGE: Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. BTW, I think it would be interesting to see what would have happened if you were face-to-face with some of these guys instead of hiding behind your computer screen and throwing rocks back all the way from Italy. As a Ranger you know durn good and well it cuts both ways. I understand your schedule is hectic my thought was that once in awhile or so you could post something here that might help the young ones. In case you haven't noticed we have one teen who's gonna try for the Rangers. If you could get past the few "bad" comments you might notice that there's a lot more on this site about survival than worrying about a former Ranger. BTW, enjoyed you're web-site.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind visiting forums from time to time, especially in the winter time while I'm waiting for it to snow here in Italy so I can hit the slopes up in the Alps.

I said what I wanted to say on this forum and made my point. And based on all the emails I received this morning from quite a few of your members, visitors and viewers, I am very pleased with the outcome. And I am NOT talking about sales, screw that! I am talking about the positive emails I received in support of what I stated here.

SARGE: Did you happen to notice that the negative posts you received here were later amended by the same individuals who actually apologized? And if you're not talking about sales why did you come on so strong the way you did?

So keep thinking just because someone posted something here once or twice and a few of you puppies got pissed off, barked & howled at the moon, don't think you chased him or her away.

Never thought that, "RR", I actually felt honored that you came here, no crap!

So enjoy your new fame. As for me, I think my military record, reputation and accomplishments speak for itself as to what type of individual I am.

SARGE: Not to mention these two posts.

Hey, no need to apologize to me,

SARGE: They didn't do it out of need, they showed the kind of people they really are. Mere humans who reacted out of anger, realized it was wrong, and tried to right it. I'm honored to be on the same forum with them.

I enjoyed the comments some of you made here, really. Thanks for allowing me to express my opinions, comments and defend my product, I just might be back again later.

SARGE: I, for one, really hope so. We could use someone with your talents, experience and understanding of survival and all that it entails.

If not, to the few [and not all] of you puppies who think I just cut & run and can't take the heat...

SARGE: Actualy, I said "hit & run", which means something else. C'mon Ranger, you know "hit & run" is a tactic and not an act of cowardice.

Now, now, now. Come on, I did twenty-one years in the United States Army as a high-speed Airborne grunt & Ranger. Do really believe someone like me, though a bit old out of shape, would be afraid of some of your sorry @sses?

Maybe in "YOUR DREAMS!"

SARGE: OOOHH-RAHH!

And to all of you who read my comments here and sent me private emails, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Take care all!

Yours truly, again

US Army, Ret. (1972-93)

SARGE: I tried, the wusses didn't want me; afraid of a guy with bad hearing. What's up with that crap? You never hear the one that gets you anyway, right?
    p.s.: Does this mean I don't get a free necklace?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 12-01-2007 at 10:27 AM.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

hey, ranger dick, next time you think of selling stuff, you may not want to alienate a good portion of your potential clientele. thats not good for a business that obviously could use a little help.

Blog Entries

Cool OK you wild Wolves....

Looks like 'ole Ranger Rick is not gonna stick around. Too bad, I think he'd be a valuable asset once everybody got to know each other better. Anyway I visited his web-site and found some interesting things on it that I'd like to discuss with those of you here who are inclined to do that. I was going e-mail "RR" my comments, opinions, & questions 1st but his e-mail isn't listed.

Right off the bat I want to make sure that everybody understands that I'm not "dissing" the Ranger", but evaluating his "Survival" gear/manuals as to the validity of them saving lives. Here goes.

1.) Ranger Ricks qualifications speak for themselves, he's one dude I would want to be with in a bad situation. I'm sure that we'd get home alive, and that's the "bottom line" here, right?

2.) In evaluating his "Survival Neclace" I found that he gets about $20 for the "unassembled" one, so that was what I looked at since the extra 2 bucks pays for the labor of putting it together and has nothing to do with the quality of the items.

3.) In order to sell that piece of gear for $20 he still has to make a profit, so that means that the actual costs of the items are even less, which is not to say that they will fall apart, but you get what you pay for. Both Cody Lundin & John D. McCann, just to name a couple off the top of my head, recommend putting your own kit together to get the best quality possible. No offense to Mr. Rick, but the Buck folder in my kit costs twice as much as the whole necklace.

4.) He also includes tips which are really "teasers" to get you interested in his Manuals. It worked because whenever I can I'm gonna order a set. Two "tips" stick out in my head, and that's what I want to share here. For the last few years I've thought Like "RR", that a "Survival Vest" is a great idea. John D. McCann uses Cabella's "Safari Vest" which cost $50. R. Rick suggests a fishing vest which I happen to own, so I'm gonna see what I can come up with. Also, under water filters, he shows how to make one with a 35mm film can. If anybody can, I'd like you to check some of this stuff out, then give your opinions. http://www.therangerdigest.com/ Thank you.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

im not dissing or anything but really someone should be a little more grateful that some of us had some nice things to say and not care that his kit was bit at by the wolfs and i argee he should take some of the advice and apply it to make his kit better no such thing as a perfect survival kit always room to improve

@Sarge: I have some of RR stuff and used some things from his site. Awhile back I was going to review on some items that I bought from his and others, but thought not to because it may be against forum rules. The review is my opinion, not the forums. So, how do I go about doing this?
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Blog Entries

Exclamation Here's how.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    @Sarge: I have some of RR stuff and used some things from his site. Awhile back I was going to review on some items that I bought from his and others, but thought not to because it may be against forum rules. The review is my opinion, not the forums. So, how do I go about doing this?
    It's not against the forum rules to state you're opinion of survival products that others may buy that might have a bearing on their well-being. If you tried selling the gear, or provided your own web-site offering gear for sale, well now you might be in trouble. Upon visiting Mr.Rick's site I noticed that, all the way down to the bottom of his page he links this forum, so he's more of an ally any way. It's only fair to avoid any personal remarks regarding the Ranger, and try go keep your opinions objective as well as positive, if you can. if you find something that's negative, say why. Remember, you're simply stating your own opinion, and the rest of us will take that under advisement.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WildGoth View Post
    I'm not dissing or anything but really someone should be a little more grateful that some of us had some nice things to say and not care that his (Ranger Rick's) kit was bit at by the wolves and I agree he should take some of the advice and apply it to make his kit better no such thing as a perfect survival kit; always room to improve
    Very well put, WG.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Talking Kinda Dumb Thinkin'

I checked out the RR site and I could probably pat myself on the back until people might buy these so called "survival kits". Guess I have enough extra stuff in the basement to make up several. The necklace, except for a knife & firestarter is dumb. Old RR says band saw blades ain't any good, but I know most everyone can make a better saw out of three sticks and a string to tighten it up like our old timers did. Guess how many feet of band saw you can coil and easily fit into say an empty snuff can with space in the middle for whatever? I don't think that little rough metal piece of garbage would last. If I have pants on I have a SAK and a SOG, always. The survival books have all the info you need on the internet or your local library. I am in the Applachians and plan accordingly. These so called experts may be able to make cute little necklaces & other goodies but like Hank Jrs. song says A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE. People. if we use what's available can also, and I really must be behind the times the only RR I could think of was Roy Rogers!

Blog Entries

Cool Mr. McCafferty.

I was going to mention Mr. McCafferty awhile back, but never got around to doing so. R/Rick mentions him and that Field & Stream will be putting out a review of his necklace in the Dec. '07 issue & I look forward to reading it. In my opinion Mr. M. is probably a very good outdoors-man. He's obviously a hunter who travels the woods all over for big-game and any survival input he can give should be welcomed by any of those in the Hunting Arena. In the March 2005 issue K. McCafferty was actually required to go out into the field and put his skills to the test by going solo into the Rocky Mtns. with his hunting rifle, ammo, and a small day-pack with his 'Survival" gear in it. It was pretty interesting as he had a lot more equipment than the "Bare Wilderness" guys and was even going into a bit of a warmer climate, albeit in winter. He made it back out OK, but it was only for 2 nights, and he had a rough time as well. I was surprised at several things, such as the fact that in his list of survival stuff he listed 4 trash bags, yet didn't seem to have any himself on this particular adventure. He wears a homemade necklace with a neck-knife and some other items, including the magnesium block/flint striker that Ranger Rick seems to "put-down" on his web-site. An interesting side-note, this Mag-block is included in the USAF's Pilot Survival kit. I'm going to re-read the article and write more on it later.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 12-01-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: omissions corrected.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Talking Don't forget 'Ole Gabby!

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I checked out the RR site and I could probably pat myself on the back until people might buy these so called "survival kits". Guess I have enough extra stuff in the basement to make up several. The necklace, except for a knife & firestarter is dumb. Old RR says band saw blades ain't any good, but I know most everyone can make a better saw out of three sticks and a string to tighten it up like our old timers did. Guess how many feet of band saw you can coil and easily fit into say an empty snuff can with space in the middle for whatever? I don't think that little rough metal piece of garbage would last. If I have pants on I have a SAK and a SOG, always. The survival books have all the info you need on the internet or your local library. I am in the Applachians and plan accordingly. These so called experts may be able to make cute little necklaces & other goodies but like Hank Jrs. song says A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE. People. if we use what's available can also, and I really must be behind the times the only RR I could think of was Roy Rogers!
    Yippie Yi Yo Ki Yay!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin