Page 44 of 62 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits info.

Quote Originally Posted by mddubs
    Waterproof matches - Lighter is better, plus FireSteel.
    Safety pins - Got'em
    Cotton balls soaked in vaseline - For what?
    Char cloth - For what?
    Candle - Unnecessary I think, fire would be adequate.
    Needles/thread - Got'em
    Fish hooks - Got'em
    Flash light or photon light - Not worth the weight, batteries die.
    First aid kit (asprin, ibuprofen, Imodium, Benadryl, butterfly sutures, Band-Aids, etc) - Got most of that
    Wet stone - For what?
    Heavy duty Trash bags - For what?
    550 cord - I have a 100ft shank, but it's too big for the pouch. What would a small piece of cord be good for?
    Tube tent - Sounds too big.
    Energy bars - Might be good to add 1 or 2. Do they ever expire?
    An extra pair of socks and underwear - Won't fit.
    GUN! (and ammo of course) - Won't fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    This post displays your lack of understanding of Survival equipment & how it works. Can you tell me why? Nobody help this time, he needs to learn!

mddubs,

This post by sarge should have sent you scrambling all over the net to find the answers to your own questions. What's more, he did it without being insulting. That's a pretty good feat.

So, what have you come up with so far. We're dying to know.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWELLth View Post
    The best outdoor survival kit and first aid kit – is your head to think with, their hands to work with.

Did you catch that?

The best kit = your head to think with, their hands to work with ...

And by 'their hands' I mean ... the ill or injured _or_ those travelling with you!
    Too true.

In addition, in a true societal SHTF situation, many who are used to being pampered will become the new labor force as they will have little to no useful skills/knowledge to offer. Thus providing basic "menial" labor chores will be their only way to procuring food, shelter, protection, etc. from those who have the means of providing it.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Mddubs says he wants to learn, posts some stuff, then dosen't respond to my question or to anybody else. Hmmmm. His profile shows he was here last night around 8:30 pm yet he hasn't posted in 5 days, what's up with that? Was it because we didn't give him the big 'ole "pat on the back" he felt he deserved? Yo Md, quit stalling and answer the freakin' questions!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

That's the Sarge I know and, um, love?
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

maybe he is still searching for answers...I doubt many people know what cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly are used for in the wild. I know I didn't, till I came here.

Mddubs says he wants to learn, posts some stuff, then dosen't respond to my question or to anybody else. Hmmmm. His profile shows he was here last night around 8:30 pm yet he hasn't posted in 5 days, what's up with that? Was it because we didn't give him the big 'ole "pat on the back" he felt he deserved? Yo Md, quit stalling and answer the freakin' questions!
    Sarge... you're kinda freakin me out

What question are you referring to? I asked a bunch about the items I'm unfamiliar with and was told to figure it out myself. And that's fine, I've found a great community at ********** with some good ideas. (I wonder if the mod is going to remove that link too... maybe I should put it in my signature )

I think you just miss a noob asking all those simple questions so you can stroke your self-proclaimed******* survivalist ego. Which is fine, everyone needs something to feel good about. But really, who needs the pat on the back?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 05-20-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: removed link
    ]

mddubs, I believe this is the post Sarge was making reference to...
    This post displays your lack of understanding of Survival equipment & how it works. Can you tell me why? Nobody help this time, he needs to learn!
    You kinda shot down my suggestions for additions to your survival kit, without knowing the purpose of the items listed. I would be more than happy to explain my reasons for those listed items, but now you're just being sorta an @$$ about it. For the record, Sarge is a *******and he doesn't need affirmation from you on the subject.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 05-20-2009 at 12:45 PM.

[quote=mountain mama;116895]mddubs, I believe this is the post Sarge was making reference to...
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by mddubs View Post
    (I wonder if the mod is going to remove that link too... maybe I should put it in my signature )
    Yeah I did. If you add it to your signature I will remove it from there as well. PM on the way to explain it to you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

The Female wolves, discover the slightest sign of weakness, or hesitation too respond quickly, and moved in for the quick & heartless kill.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mama View Post
    You kinda shot down my suggestions for additions to your survival kit, without knowing the purpose of the items listed. I would be more than happy to explain my reasons for those listed items, but now you're just being sorta an @$$ about it. For the record, Sarge is a ****** and he doesn't need affirmation from you on the subject.
    You suggested items I already had! And I didn't shoot them down at all! I said "what for?" as in, what are these for? Good god.

I would be more than happy to explain my reasons for those listed items
    Ok, so why didn't you? I definitely asked about them. You'd rather just say you'd be happy to explain them than just explain them? Weird.

As for the question... "why does this post display my lack of understanding of survival equipment and how it works" ... gee, I don't know oh wise one. Maybe you can explain it to me oh great one.

I told ya right from the start I've got no practical experience. I was just asking simple questions and looking for answers from knowledgable people instead of random internet sources and you've made it clear I've come to the wrong place. So what's the point of belonging to a community that tells you to just go figure it out yourself? For most it's to wax about how great they are...
    For the record, Sarge is a badass
    Or to wield such grand power as to censor people's posts. It's unfortunate, but it does happen on a lot of forums.

Thanks to those who were helpful without the superiority complex.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 05-20-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Bold
    ]

Mddubs - Stop with the personal flaming (oh wise one, oh great one, etc). Final warning.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

mddubs, I admittedly suggested a few items you already had: safety pins, needles/thread, fish hooks, first aid kit
    Waterproof matches - Lighter is better, plus FireSteel.
    Cotton balls soaked in vaseline - For what?
    Char cloth - For what?
    Flash light or photon light - Not worth the weight, batteries die.
    Wet stone - For what?
    Heavy duty Trash bags - For what?
    550 cord - I have a 100ft shank, but it's too big for the pouch. What would a small piece of cord be good for?
    Tube tent - Sounds too big.
    Energy bars - Might be good to add 1 or 2. Do they ever expire?
    An extra pair of socks and underwear - Won't fit.
    Looks like there was plenty that was shot down without understanding.
    Ok, so why didn't you? I definitely asked about them. You'd rather just say you'd be happy to explain them than just explain them? Weird.
    Because I was asked not to, for your own edification. You will learn more by seeking the answers than by having them handed to you on a silver platter.
    As for the question... "why does this post display my lack of understanding of survival equipment and how it works" ... gee, I don't know oh wise one. Maybe you can explain it to me oh great one.
    *see above
    I told ya right from the start I've got no practical experience. I was just asking simple questions and looking for answers from knowledgable people instead of random internet sources and you've made it clear I've come to the wrong place. So what's the point of belonging to a community that tells you to just go figure it out yourself? For most it's to wax about how great they are...
    No one was "waxing". Sarge just wanted you to investigate the purpose of the items rather than making your mind up about them without knowledge.
    Or to wield such grand power as to censor people's posts. It's unfortunate, but it does happen on a lot of forums.
    Sorry, but the only time I have seen a mod censor someone's post is when that post went against the forum rules (oops, and once for the humor factor). Just because I go 65 in a 45 mph zone, without knowing it is a 45 mph zone, doesn't mean I won't get a ticket if caught. That doesn't mean the cop has a "superiority complex", it just means that I need to learn the law.

Waterproof matches - Lighter is better, plus FireSteel.---Lighter ain't gonna do jack for you if it gets wet,or extremely cold,and unless you are proficient with the Firesteel,gonna be a long cold night.
    Safety pins - Got'em
    Cotton balls soaked in vaseline - For what? --To start your fire with,a little research on here,and you could have found that info.
    Char cloth - For what?--Again,for staring fire.
    Needles/thread - Got'em
    Fish hooks - Got'em
    Flash light or photon light - Not worth the weight, batteries die.--You must have very good night vision,and an extra set of batteries don't weigh that much.
    First aid kit (asprin, ibuprofen, Imodium, Benadryl, butterfly sutures, Band-Aids, etc) - Got most of that
    Wet stone - For what?-- sharpening your knife,you did say you had a knife....
    Heavy duty Trash bags - For what?---carry out trash,emergency shelter,rain coat,cover your sleeping bag with for extra warmth,etc.
    550 cord - I have a 100ft shank, but it's too big for the pouch. What would a small piece of cord be good for?--550 paracord contains inner cords that can be used for many purposes,bootlaces and lashings for a start.
    Tube tent - Sounds too big.--it's platsic,folds or rolls up faily small..
    Energy bars - Might be good to add 1 or 2. Do they ever expire?rotate the contents of your kit,and you wont have to worry about expiration dates.
    An extra pair of socks and underwear - Won't fit.--thats just nasty,as well as unsanitary.

You have a kit alright,but..you need to take that little kit of yours out on a camping trip and try it out,take nothing else,since you seem to think it's going to save you in an emergency,I think you will find your kit lacking for what you intend it to do.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Cool See what Happens?

So I play nice with the Newby, trying to teach him & he already assumes he's an expert & flames me! YES your links will be deleted if they're not where they're supposed to be! That's the rules! You don't like it, fine! See ya & wouldn't want to be ya! You're ignorant of survival equipment as well as outdoors experience; what were you expecting? You don't know the value of a candle, cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, or matches. Maybe you've read & copied material from the internet, but that's all you've done! Bye!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Go for it!

Back! By popular demand. Okay Wolves....Go for it!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 04-28-2009 at 06:04 PM.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Thread Re-opened!

Watch for Sarge's insights coming to a post near you real soon!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool 1st response.

Hi All,

I'm new to these forums and was hoping to get some feedback on my latest project; my survival kit + knife. I was just hoping to hear what you think. Thanks!

-Matt
    Here is Matt showing us a "Survival Kit"; something we don't see very often here on a SURVIVAL Site!
    Notice Matt invites us to tell him what we think...didn't we do that? Quite frankly, I like my SK's better because they're made for me, but at least Matt was trying to follow a list, looks like he almost made it, too.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool 2nd Response.

Bummer. Well ok, I added the link to my signature but it hasn't come up yet.
    Here we see Matt's "nice guy" image starting to slip! He doesn 't want to follow the rules!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin