Page 30 of 62 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits info.

I think it depends on your skill and experience level, Sarky. I would agree with you but I'd rather see a novice have a survival kit of any type than nothing at all. Hopefully the kit has some instructions for the novice.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hunter-Fisher-Trapper Ameriborn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'd rather see a novice have a survival kit of any type than nothing at all
    That is the most true statement I have ever read.

My little brother (Whom is 14) while we were out hunting in Southern Ohio, actually lost track of time and it turned dark on him. He couldn't see a thing at night, but he remembered his survival kit, which contained only a few items. (Fire Starter, tinder, whistle, LED Light, small flashlight, water purification and an emergency poncho I believe was all that was in it) and he needed to use the Flahslight to find his way home. He started walking witout it, remembered it, used the flashlight only to find he was going the wrong way.
    To live is to survive. To hunt is to live, to fish is to live and to trap is to live.

Hey Marcraft.... you don't really carry all that stuff on your back into the woods????
    Damm! I thought I carried a lot of stuff!

hey Army Ranger Rick, I went to your web site and i've gotta say what were you thinking when you list 550 cord as a luxury item??? I'm a retired SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape) Instructor, and we lived or died by our use of 550 cord. It's not like the stuff weighs so much or takes up a lot of space!

Blog Entries

How I missed this thread is beyond me.
    Klak I like your kit alot, love the vest especially as its on you so losing things would be hard to do. Only thing I'd change... nah, nothing I really like it.
    And Crash's avatar looks like he's on a sub with that glowing red light flashing and the big horn going Ahhhooooga Ahhhooooga!!
    Last edited by Beo; 08-26-2008 at 02:53 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

when i'm not paying attention it looks like somebody wearing a red cloak oh yeah nice kit

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    hey Army Ranger Rick, I went to your web site and i've gotta say what were you thinking when you list 550 cord as a luxury item??? I'm a retired SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape) Instructor, and we lived or died by our use of 550 cord. It's not like the stuff weighs so much or takes up a lot of space!
    My Dad always told me you could never have enough 550 Cord. Its the best out there for the size and price.

Default Sarky's 550 Paracord Comments and Mine Too...

Hi ya all.

I know it's been awhile, but I just stopped by for a few minutes to say hello and to post a comment here....

Sarky wrote: "Hey Army Ranger Rick, I went to your web site and i've gotta say what were you thinking when you list 550 cord as a luxury item??? I'm a retired SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape) Instructor, and we lived or died by our use of 550 cord. It's not like the stuff weighs so much or takes up a lot of space!"

Me, personally, I don't really consider 550 Paracord to be a "must have or die" survival item. Sure it's a nice to have, no doubt about it. But before I ever heard of the stuff, like when I was a kid growing up hunting & fishing back in the 60's. I use to make shelters, animal traps and go fishing without it by just using regular ol' rolled up copper wire and nylon fishing line.

And so that's why I consider it (550 paracord) a luxury item like some of that other survival stuff that I list on my site. You know as the rule goes..."the less you know about survival, the more stuff you need to pack & carry - the more you know, the less you need."

If I'm carrying a BOB or small pack, sure I, too, carry some 550 paracord with me along with my solar-handcrank am/fm radio that most people DON'T think it's a necessity.

But I do, because if I'm alone and all by myself in the boonies, which I sometimes like to get away by myself, I don't like listening to myself talk.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with talking to yourself if you're all by yourself, as long as you don't ask yourself questions and answer yourself back.

And so that's why I take & pack my radio and some paracord too, but only if I am carrying a small pack or BOB.

BTW, being you're an ex-ol'SERE instructor, I got a question for you....What do you think of those "Survival Weapons" ideas on my site? Those few items that I suggest you pack and carry in your pocket survival kit? The cement nails, some duct tape, thick rubber bands and a few screw eyelets so you can make a couple of those weapons.

I'd like to get your feedback on my simple improvised survival weapons, as I have never seen anyone else come up with these ideas.

If you haven't yet made any of these weapons, make'em and try'em first and then let me know what you really think of them. Ok?

Really, I'd like to get your input and feedback as I am planning on submitting these ideas thru the US military channels.

Okey-dokey?

Blog Entries

Hey ARR, One of those weapons you show on your web site my Grandfather taught me to make back in my preteen years. Its the stick and rubber band arrow or rock launcher. It wasn't a great leap from it to making a crossbow which I started doing when I was about 14. When I saw the pic's of it on your web site it brought back some memories. When my grandson comes over this weekend I think I will teach him how to make one. Thanks for making me remember.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I don't think that I can agree with you Rick. A crappy kit could be even more dangerous than no kit at all. If you give a novice false confidence with a kit that will fail them, they will more than likely put themselves in a more dangerous situation thinking that the kit will get them out of it. Where as with no kit at all they know pretty much where they stand in the survival situation. Something is better than nothing only if it will work.

I thought I would post what is in my kit that I am trying to pull together (I am well aware I need some more stuff) I plan to use this in my car since i am rarely away from my car. RIght now it is in a olive drab messenger bag thingy. I don't plan to go hiking through the woods with this but to have it ready if needed for anything.

I carry in it
    2 space blankets
    6 snap glo sticks
    small bottle of hand sanitizer

1 fishing kit that contains
    12lb test line
    30lb test line
    assorted sinkers
    a few jig heads
    a dozen or so hooks of various sizes
    some swivels
    everything is on safety pins and in a small plano box.

swiss army knife
    nail clippers (personal phobia lol)
    needles and thread
    one of those 5-in-1 whistle things with some matches an striker in it
    a pack of fuel cubes for easy fire starting.
    100' of 550 cord
    roll of ducktape (collapsed the tube inside)

first aid kit in a plano box
    bandaids
    alcohol prep pads ( fire or cleanse wounds)
    triple antibiotic
    steristrips
    2 suture sets
    2 chlorapreps for cleaning wounds (better than alcohol, it kills virus' as well)
    hemostat
    scalpel
    tweezers
    some gauze pads (2X2,4X4)
    and most important the knowledge of an EMT
    (thinking i need to add some meds)

I would add to this kit some items from work.
    Surefire G2Led and batteries
    Leatherman kick
    Nalagene water bottle
    gerber folder knife
    EMT shears (cuts anything under the sun)

I am still building my kit. I know i need more in the ways of H2O and hunting.
    The area I live in (where the kit will see use) is next to a major river I have fished for years. I plan to focus on using the water resources available to me. I am still building this kit and would welcome any advice.

Sounds like you've got a good start. What are you storing it in?
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Blog Entries

Cool Sarge's Survival Swag.

Quote Originally Posted by chiye tanka View Post
    Sounds like you've got a good start. What are you storing it in?
    Uh, C.T.: He posted the answer, here it is: "Right now it is in a olive drab messenger bag thingy."

OK Boys & Toys, here's what you've all been waiting for, Sarge's Survival kit in order of importance:

1.) Your brain!
    2.) The knowledge, both physical and academic, that you store there!
    3.) Your Clothing!
    4.) The proper components that covers all 8 purposes: a.) fire & light;
    b.) signaling; c.) Navigation; d.) water & food collection e.) shelter
    & personal protection; f.) medical; g.) knives & tools; h.) multi-purpose
    items.

All items should be germaine to the locale in question.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Sarge, missed that.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Blog Entries

Thumbs down "Bad" survival kit items.

Things I'll never include in my kit. Some of you will probably have no problem with them but I do so they stay out.

1.) Razor blades. Some "genius" figured that a razor blade would be a cool "sub" for a knife. There IS no sub for a good knife! Also, somewhere on this site are graphic photos of a members slashed up hand when his razor blade went berserk! He had to have stitches! Think of that happening deep in the woods! Talk about creating your own "survival scenario".

2,) One of those "wittle itty-bitty cable saws." I've even heard somebody say they were "crakerjack!" Or maybe that was where he found his. Also I'd never wear one around my neck!

3.) Those 2 chemicals Les Stroud used to start a fire. Smells like a disaster waiting to happen.

Anybody else want to contribute? We've talked a-plenty about what to include, let's hear some opinions on "survival kit no-nos".
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I agree with you Sarge, I can't stand those wire saws. Never had one make it through 3 or 4 strokes.
    When I lived in Mass., I was told that all the old-timers used to carry a razor blade wrapped in a hankie to field dress deer. I think that's insane.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Razor or razor blade? I do carry a straight razor with me for the obvious use and I suppose it would be capable skinning with proper experience.
    I have talked to 2 doctors out mooze hunting and having field dressed, quartered a mooze with scalpels (forgot their knives somewheres) took a long time and many blade changes
    Even those hand held cable or "emergency chain saws"
    I wonder,...You loop/wrap the "saw" blade around a tree, grab the handles loops (some go around your wrist) and start cutting towards your self...
    the tree is cut and as it starts to fall you realize that you are still tied to the "saw"...
    now comes the good part the butt comes up a butt strokes you in the kisser.
    I wonder what will be your thoughts?

Ouch???????
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

id be wondering why the h3ll i thought i could cut down a tree with a cable saw in the first place.

Default Hello My Survival Kit

Hiya Guys as I am quite new I thought i wold introduce you to me with my Tobacco tin (or around that!) Survival kit!

The Contents Are:

4 Cotton Wool
    4 Vaseline covered cotton wool
    1 wire saw
    2 stock cubes
    2 energy sweets
    1 Fishing kit
    1 mini maglite
    1 Tampon
    1 flint striker
    1 Needle rapped with coarse thread!

And fill any spare space with more cotton wool