Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits info.

the calories I am not sure about

I am a bit above novice level i think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samfranklin View Post
    the calories I am not sure about

I am a bit above novice level i think.
    Sam, I commend you for acknowledging that you are around or just above the novice level. We all were at one time.

First, read the threads of interest to you posted in the Forums.

Second, use the Search feature in the Forum taskbar for specific information/questions. You'll be AMAZED at the information posted here.

Third, if you have a question, just ask. The chances are that several members will have the knowledge and experience to answer specific questions. When asking a question, be as specific as you can be. Include information in your question whenever possible.

Fourth, don't presume that you understand how something works simply because you've read about it or have had a question answered. You must have practical hands-on boots-in-the-field experience to truly understand many of the things discussed here.

Fifth, again, welcome to the Forum, Sam!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Sam, I appreciate you asking the questions that you are asking. While it is true that the rule of 3's state that you can survive for 21 days without food, that assumes minimal physical activity. If you are building shelter, hunting, hiking your way out - you will need food long before 21 days.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Multi use items are excellent but don't get quite so wrapped in it. Some items, while only serving a single purpose, do it so well that they require a place in your kit. The Starflash mirror that Ken posted is one of those. so is a whistle and a knife. The Starflash is head and shoulders above tin foil or your mess kit. It could be the difference in being seen or not.

Also, you might want to reconsider the paracord hanging around your neck. If you don't have a break point built into it.
    1. It can be used as a weapon against you. (Think garrot).
    2. A nasty slide down a bank could have the paracord get caught on a branch or limb and you'd wind up getting strangled or a broken neck.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool

Crashdive123,
    Sorry you mistook me i meant to use the tin for boiling water.
    Sarge 47 I am listening to their advice and I think to be fair all I am doing is arguing my survival kit to be useful and that I can perfectly justify that.

Ken
    I do not want to disclose my age over the internet so I am afraid I won't do that but,

I have been on training courses with SERE and I have been given advice from NAVY SERE INSTRUCTORS who said my survival kit was excellent. I have slept 4 nights on bodmin moor only using my survival kit and have survived so. I thank you all for your comments
    Sam, based on this post your grade just dropped to a "D". Since you don't wish to mention your age you are either very young or just immature. Why would you try to debate experts when it's obvious you know way less than them? You've also failed to answer my earlier question. I think we can conclude that you are really just "blowing smoke". Nice try, have a good life. Oh, & your line "Survival is my life" is just plain silly. Do you know why?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Um, I've got a question, or maybe a comment.
    The last I knew, the second "E" in SERE stood for escape. Didn't your SERE instructor teach you that?
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Sam, I think we can conclude that you are really just "blowing smoke".
    Sarge, I gotta disagree with you on that comment. I think he was inhailing...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Yes CT, so for Sam's edification, "SERE" = Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Grey Wolf I am in the Uk and in the Uk we have SURVIVE EVADE RESIST EXTRACT

In america it is what you put,

Also
    I am young and I do not want to disclose my age over the internet and that is my right.

Sarge 47 you think it is silly because you think that survival is not my life

Sam - In your introduction you stated that you had attended the RN SERE course. With my background, I knew that you meant Royal Navy - maybe not everybody picked up on that. It is important to remember that an open forum has members from around the globe. This, in my opinion is why introductions are important. I completely understand why somebody might not want to reveal too much information in an open forum, and by all means, do not post anything that you are uncomfortable posting. Please realize that members probably range in age from twelve years old to folks in their eighties. We recently had a member that was passing himself off as some sort of expert. He had his own survival website or blog. Much of the information he was passing along might cause harm to those that did not have the experience to know the difference. When folks ask you questions like age, it's just to get a point of reference. Without that point of reference the answers that are given will most likely be from the point of reference from the person answering the question, which may prove to be incorrect or useless to the original poster.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool I rest my case.

Also I am young and I do not want to disclose my age over the internet and that is my right.

Sarge 47 you think it is silly because you think that survival is not my life
    1st, it's obvious that you are very young as well as immature, your posts show that.

2nd, Of course "Survival is your life"; DUH! Survival is "Life or Death"!
    However, your answers have damaged your credibility. Here's the thing you need to know:

1.) On this forum we have both current & former SERE instructors! We also have many ex-military that have gone through both SERE training & more crap than you could ever imagine; a wise person would be learning from them, not trying to act like they already know everything; which you don't as you never have answered my original question. Remember the old saying: "You can't tell a fool anything, (because they think that they already know everything.) but a word to the wise is sufficient. (A wise person listens & learns from all around them, especially those with more knowledge.)

2.) Too many people try to separate Survival from everything else & make it a separate thing....it's not! It's simply an extension of what ever you may be going through at the moment. When you treat it like you are now you are making it into some sort of game, which is wrong.

Also your answers demonstrate that you don't have a clue as to what I've asked you earlier. Good luck with whatever you're doing.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Okay, as far as grades go you get a "C-" in Survival "101". You also lost points in debating the experts, you have no justification in doing so. You need to PAY ATTENTION; the info here can save your life. I'm not sure if you're trying to sound like a "know-it-all" or not, but that's how you're coming across. Add the whistle & the mirror. Based on your posts so far I can see that your survival kit lacks it's most important element. Your challenge now is to tell me what it is. NOBODY HELP! He needs to learn!
    Okay Sarge.... As usual I'm clueless. Read the thread. I see several things missing BUT.... I'm still a very novice novice. I'm interested what is missing PM me if you want. I am finding I have a HUGE amount to learn. I'm so glad I found this site you,ken, crash and everyone are a great help i am thankful to all of you for anything you can tell me. I'll take all the help I can get I NEED IT!!

Ok I am 12 and got on the SERE course through connections,

I am taking your advice into account and I am not ingnoring it but I am just making principles and points I have been told. I am not ignoring you I am just expressing what i have been taught

Mk 9 Ration Tin
    I have no idea what this is. A picture would help.
    Cotton Wool isine ziploc bag
    Good fire starter. You can improve it by soaking it in Vaseline. I'm not certain how big Cotton Wool is in the UK but here in the States you can get six of the 100% cotton balls in a 35 mm film canister. Not quite as messing that way. It can also serve as a first aid device because the Vaseline can be used on things like chapped lips and to make a temporary waterproofer for something like a hole in your tent ... if you have nothing else.
    MRI GQ 1604 Victorinox Knife (Tie paracord round the top keyring to put round your neck)
    I have no idea what this is, either. A pic would help here, too. Never tie any type of cordage around your neck. If you want to carry it that way ensure you have a point where it will easily break or use a chain designed for that purpose.
    Calorie Sweets
    Don't know what this is.
    4 oxo cubes
    This is okay if that's what you want. I carry bouillon cubes as well. Just remember, they require water. Otherwise, they are fine.
    Candle
    Good.
    Snare Wire
    What kind of wire are you using?
    Sheet of Tin foil
    Good.
    Commando Saw (wire saw)
    Throw it away. A wire saw will probably break the first time you use it. Buy a sports folding sports saw. Gerber makes a good ones. There are a lot on the market.
    Needle and thread
    Good. Make sure the needle is large enough to use on things like packs should you need to. A small assortment of needles is good. You can also replace the thread with fishing line or you can use the inside threads from paracord.
    Silva folding compass
    Excellent. Have a back up as well.
    Beverage pack including sugar tea coffee salt etc.
    Good
    Wooden handcrafted spear (point for digging holes
    Okay. I wouldn't carry a spear. I'd make one if I absolutely needed it. I think a walking stick would serve you better.
    Tampon in plastic package
    Good
    Flint and steel
    Good
    Hexiblocks
    I don't use hexamine. You have to wash your hands after handling it. It smokes and it stinks. Esbit is a lot easier to use and a lot safer.
    MK 9 Porrigde bar
    I don't know what this is. Is it anything like Stoats Porridge bar?

There's my 2 cents.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for your comments rick I will get some pictures asap

Cheers

Hi Everybody please note with the paracord round the neck I only use that when sat at my camp when travelling it fits in my tin

Default Pics of my tin

Sorry my connection isn't fast enough i will get up soon but for now will slowly do descriptions

Default My Answers

Mk 9 Ration Tin
    5.5 inches by 3.5 inches by 3 inches so 5.5 inches by 3.5 inches with 3 inches down.
    Cotton Wool inside ziploc bag
    Cotton wool inside a airtight and water tight plastic bag

MRI GQ 1604 Victorinox Knife
    Victorinox brilliant knife and I only wear it round my neck when by my camp never when travelling.
    Calorie Sweets
    Boiled sweets that contain excessive calories to give you the needed calories.
    4 oxo cubes
    Candle
    Snare Wire
    Brass Type
    Sheet of Tin foil
    Commando Saw (wire saw)
    This is the UK standard issue and works well enough I have cut some large pieces of wood with this and it is ok (does the job ok)
    Silva folding compass
    Beverage pack including sugar tea coffee salt etc.
    Wooden handcrafted spear (point for digging holes
    It is only a tiny spear about 5 inches long.
    Tampon in plastic package
    Flint and steel
    Hexiblocks
    These are just firlighters in hexiblock shape
    MK 9 Porrigde bar
    mixed with water and sugar to make a horrible porridge type thing!

Hope that answers your questions!

Blog Entries

Cool Okay you two!

SamF.;(NOTE: If you & I were face-to-face you would here me speaking in a calm voice, not "mean".) I figured you were 12 -13 based on your posts, & now that I understand that I also understand why your comments are immature. Note, I do not say that to be mean, just stating an obvious fact. You seem to think that because you went through a SERE course you got everything you need to survive, but your wrong. Both you & OldSoldier (?) need to understand what is missing in your kits is not an item, but an attitude! That attitude is what OldSoldier has just displayed: He's here to listen & learn! He gets an "A"! Nobody here is telling you anything wrong! They're right on!
    Pay attention & learn! That's the 1st step. I'm blunt & to the point! Nicey nice doesn't cut it & there may not be enough time to get to where you need to be if we're all tip-toeing around on egg-shells...which I don't do...just ask anybody!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Nope. I don't think you've ever tip-toed on egg shells, Sarge. You're probably the guy who invented scrambled eggs.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark