Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jackpot

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

with the numbers on the mayapples, i can get the exact area/color a few days apart
    what i didn't do was take pics of the mayapples before wrapping them in newspaper
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Banned

Either no plants produced fruit around here this year or animals got to them fast, because I didn't find one may apple this year. Thousands and thousands of plants but no fruit. You were blessed.

HA, I was just out checking on several mayapple patches and none had fruit?? WTF! The critters are eating them unripe? The little stem was there, but it was just a dry nub of a stem with no fruit on it. The fruit appears to have fallen or been pulled off by something and all the mayapples appear to be trampled.

I did find 3 and they were still green.

MAYAPPLE testing – picked two of the mayapples that looked the ripest

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

cut a little piece for tasting

and did some more cutting

the inside little ball actually had an apple taste, not sure if eating some of the seeds was a good idea, but i did

i'll be having small bits throughout the day

Lydia

The seeds are supposed to be cathartic as well. I've never eaten them so I don't know. You might be having small FITS throughout the day. Keep us posted.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian-guerilla View Post
    ok, no more seeds

Caution! May Apple root can be toxic and should only be used by experienced herbalists. The seeds and rind are not edible, and are said to be poisonous. The whole plant, apart from the ripe fruit, is highly poisonous in large doses.

http://www.prairiemoon.com/seeds/wil...&from_search=Y
    i wonder what is considered " the rind "

would that be the outer part of the berry in the above pic ?

Lydia

I guess it's a matter of semantics. I've always thought of the outter portion as the meat of the fruit but "rind" is a good description and accurate. The core, to me, is the central part of the fruit with the seeds. Petersons says, "The pulp surrounding the seeds..." so I defer to them. Pulp it is.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think I would try to get a hold of whomever made that statement and have them expalin themselves. WTF is the fruit if not the rind or seed portion? That's all there is to them.

There's a lot of varying opinions on mayapple edibility and parts and someone needs to clear it up.

Uh, what statement are you referring to?

By the way, I checked on my plot this afternoon and they are all gone. There are a few plants that are starting to dry but the fruits are gone and a good portion of the area is trampled. It looks like something has made a home next to the patch of apples. It's burrowed into some wild grape vines and has a pretty slick set up. There's enough vegetation overhead it might even be fairly waterproof. It's large enough for a coyote to bed down in.

young survivalist

i think it may be an area thig. mine are still on but some have goe missig. . . hhmmm 0.o
    but i have gathered four mayapples. one i will place in the freezer, the other i the fridge in the fruit storage, and the last at room temp.
    the last one im just gonna cut up and take a look aroud.

P.S. i think the rind might be the layer just inside the skin? just a thought
    some people like Bear Grylls. others like Les Stroud. well you know what. i like Jerimiah Johnson

young survivalist

BREAK THROUGH

left all the mayapples sit on the table by accident and checked on them today and guess what. . . they got yellowish white. they also got soft but it is questionable bc they have a few brown spots on them. im not very familiar with the taste and what not so maybe somebody else should try this experiment
    some people like Bear Grylls. others like Les Stroud. well you know what. i like Jerimiah Johnson

I found some huge ones the other day and they had a reddish hue to them. I put one in the car and in two days it was ripe....or cooked, I'm not 100% sure.

The best way to propagate may apples is by root cuttings in the spring. They spread by underground stolens. If you cut them up so you have one or two eyes on a segment you're good to go. Don't decimate a wild population digging them up. And do it before they come up. Very early spring.

They like a good woodland soil with lots of leaf mulch. Dappled sunlight or shade for a good part of the daylight hours. If you are going to build a bed, you might want to chop up the leaves when throwing them on top. That way they come up straight and strong in the spring.

If you do try seeds, you have to cold treat them. Plant them and let them sit out over winter. The first year, all you will see is a single roundish leaf sticking out of the pot. It takes about 3 years to flower and fruit.

The deer got mine. Along with two of my small apple trees, @#$@#. The plants just withered up in the heat last week too. I only have a few from stock bought at a local Native Plant place (Garden in the Woods). Slowly building up a patch. They used to grow wild here but not so much anymore. Lots of things like that now.
    Last edited by LowKey; 07-10-2010 at 04:43 PM.

What does "cathartic" mean? Does it mean you get "the runs"?

It means it induces catharsis.

Okay, okay. Yes, that's one definition. It actually means cleansing or purgative. You can say Exlax is a cathartic medicine not to be confused with candy. You could also say I find WSF carthartic in the evenings....meaning it's a way to release emotional stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Okay, okay. Yes, that's one definition. It actually means cleansing or purgative. You can say Exlax is a cathartic medicine not to be confused with candy. You could also say I find WSF carthartic in the evenings....meaning it's a way to release emotional stress.
    We give you the runs?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I was thinking Exlax is a way to release emotional stress. It depends on where you do your thinking I guess.