Thread: Another Planer Blade Knife

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Default Another Planer Blade Knife

A while back I made a knife from a planer blade and posted it. Over the weekend I made another and fitted it in a deer antler handle. I learned a lot in the process, even if it did not turn out quite like I imagined. I really like the natural curve of the antler for the handle!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I'm not a fan of the holes in the planer blade, but as has been said time and again, you use what you've got! I hope to find some other readily availabe (i.e., "free") knifemaking material and try some more.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

PTW. I found a couple used 12" saw blades at a yard sale awhile back. Cheap. If I ever have the time I intend to try a knife project out of them. So many projects on the idea board and so little time. Is it just me or do we all have that problem? :>)
    I like the way that antler looks on your latest knife. Holes or not looks like your getting the hang of this knife thing.

oldtrap

I think you did a great job. Like you said, you use what you have. If it works, go for it. Again, nice job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrap59 View Post
    PTW. I found a couple used 12" saw blades ...
    I've got a couple old saw blades and and drawn out some knife blanks on them. My only problem is that I don't currently have access to any way to cut out the blanks without overheating the steel and ruining the temper. I want to be careful to keep the temper because I don't have a ready way to re-temper it (though I could probably find a gas torch to heat it for tempering, but this rather imprecise). Besides tedious work with a hack saw, the only way I can think of to cut out the blanks with relatively little heat is with a plasma cutter. I need to find somebody who has one.

Thanks for the compliments. I am pretty happy with it. I like the antler handle way better than the wood I used on the first one.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Well done PTW.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel