Thread: American Black Cherry (Prunus serotina)

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default American Black Cherry (Prunus serotina)

A very valuable tree in the history of the country, and to any person seeking comforts in the wild places. If you find one or a stand, you have some very good stuff on your hands. The wood itself was used in many tools and tool handles as well as furnishings. The bark is particularly astringent and lends a dark cherry red color to your leathers. A bark tea was used to treat sore throats and as a cough elixir. The leaves also could be used to tan hides, although with a much less rich color. The berries have a bit of a pungent taste, but still sweet enough to enjoy. Excellent ingredient for wine, jelly, and cold drink.

I didn't have my camera with me, but we ate supper with a friend last night for a change and I noticed all the black cherries on the ground and still on the tree. I think we are going to pick about a gallon today and juice them, then dehydrate the juice for fruit snacks. I hope to do a nice write-up on them like PTW has done.

I wanted to bring to everyone's attention that these trees are in fruit in my area and maybe you should have a look around to see if you can find some too. It appears to be quite abundant in the eastern US.

Pics and processing coming soon!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

YCC, I have had to cut down all the wild cherry tree's here,because the wilted leaves are toxic to goats,and wouldn't you know it,that's one this they LOVE to eat is wilted leaves...normally they pass on stuff they shouldn't eat,but those leaves are irresistible to them.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Black (or Wild) Cherries are very common trees where I live. Like Nell, I can remember having to quickly get fallen Cherry trees out of the pasture to protect the livestock. This was a common problem because they often grow in fence lines, the seeds having arrived there in bird droppings.

The wood is excellent for woodworking, It is beautiful in color, close-grained, and takes a polish well. It is surprisingly hard and heavy and furniture made from it is very durable. The drawback is that if your sawblade or router bit is the least bit dull, or if you are the least bit slow in making a pass, the wood will scorch and mark.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If he ever decides it needs to be removed, I will keep the wood tips in mind and maybe even send you knifemakers a block or two. Right now it's his shade tree we sit under to knap or whatever, but he's talking about getting a hog pen started. His boys are in the FFA and he wants to be supportive (even if it stinks to high heavens..), so I would like to know if the fallen foliage might be toxic to hogs also.
    We spent pretty much the whole day yesterday down at the creek swimming and jumping out of trees and swinging on ropes and having a lot of fun celebrating the good lord's creation, so I didn't get the chance to pick cherries yesterday, but one day this week my plan will come to "fruition"
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll keep them in mind.
    Do you think hogs would eat the foliage if the wind blew the leaves into the pen? I probably should tell him before he establishes his pigpen. TIA!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    Do you think hogs would eat the foliage if the wind blew the leaves into the pen? I probably should tell him before he establishes his pigpen. TIA!
    Hogs will eat absolutely anything - anything. Me and my brother used to feed hogs pine cones when we were kids - and they would eat them. They'll eat meat and bones, too. I have always heard that if you wanted to murder someone and get rid of the body you should throw it in a hog pen - and they would eat the whole thing. Disturbing thought! Kinda makes me rethink that sausage I had for breakfast!
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Banned

Just dont forget to pull the teeth first

Quote Originally Posted by preachtheWORD View Post
    Hogs will eat absolutely anything - anything. Me and my brother used to feed hogs pine cones when we were kids - and they would eat them. They'll eat meat and bones, too. I have always heard that if you wanted to murder someone and get rid of the body you should throw it in a hog pen - and they would eat the whole thing. Disturbing thought! Kinda makes me rethink that sausage I had for breakfast!
    Except I can never get the to eat the stalks of broccoli and cauliflower!
    A friend bought property off a neighbor that was an old hog farm,the guy and his brothers could not go back on the property after their father was eaten by his hogs there,no one knows if the man died of natural causes,or if the hogs actually killed him,no autopsy because there were only pieces left when he was found.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

The black cherries here are pretty tart, but I eat a few here and there. The ones I really like are what I believe are pin cherries. They are lighter in color, get a little bigger and are sweet. They're getting ripe right now too. I find a lot of fresh ripe ones on the ground , because the birds tear em up and end up knocking many to the ground in the process.

One book I read said pin cherries are more tart than black, but that isn't the case here unless I'm mistaking escaped grove cherries/ ornamentals for pin cherries. But, I'm pretty certain they're pin cherries.

Supposedly the whitetail deer here eat black cherry leaves and suffer no ill effects. Maybe they know which ones to eat and which not.??