Thread: $1 knife and 50 cent sheath

Default $1 knife and 50 cent sheath

About 10 years ago I bought this knife at a yardsale for $1. It was more then a bit rusty but otherwise the handle was tight and the edge was pretty clean.It still has some pits in the blade but sure hasn't hurt the usefulness of the knife. The blade is about 7" and it's about 11 1/2" overall. I believe the handle is maple.

The sheath I bought sometime later at a flea market for a cool 50 cents. It fits the knife and is an easy carry. What more can I say.

I keep looking at new knives and keep thinking how well this old piece of work has served me. Still think one those Mora's is in my future. Still my old butcher has cleaned alot of deer, hogs and fish over the years.

oldtrap
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Keep that knife. It's served you well and seems to have a great history.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I like new knives as well, but it seems like I still go back to the "Lucky" hunting knife.
    Sounds like you found yours.......Fate.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That looks like an old hickory knife to me. I still use my G-grandfather's set every year to process meat. They do their job very well.

I agree that it looks like an Old Hickory knife. Definitely a keeper.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Even though the handle shows alot of wear I can still make out some of the brand that is inset on it. The experts are right again. This is an Old Hickory.

I just spent some time looking around and found that a knife very much like this one is still available from Old Hickory. The blade on the new one has what they call roller marks. Not sure if they are for some good reason or just the way the carbon steel is processed. Anyway I am a bit surprised at how reasonable the the price is. The site I was in sells this knife new for a few cents over $11. Got to tell anyone reading this, that is one heck of a price for a knife that is this useful. I have looked for awhile now for another one at the sales with no luck. May just end up buying a couple new ones for the kitchen.

oldtrap

You might be surprised to know (or maybe not) that Old Hickory is made by Ontario Knife. I don't have a 2010 price list for Old Hickory but the 2009 list shows MSRP at $9.78 for the 7" butcher knife. The Product Number is 7025. If yours is not an Old Hickory it's sure a good reproduction.

Here's a killer deal on that knife.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MF9PY0/...0&linkCode=asn
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default My favorite hunting knife

Years ago my dad and I were up near Yosemite looking at the wintering deer heard when clear across the valley we spotted a big red spot on a hill side. We thought that a mountain lion had made a kill, so we went over to look and to our surprise ( not really ) we found a fresh kill alright, but a fresh human kill. All that was taken was the trophy head. And laying right next to the carcass was a knife that I could never afford. Well a call to CA DF&G to see if they want to look at it for prints or see if they wanted to look at the kill site came up a great big NO!!! So that how i got my favorite hunting knife.

Ya gotta luv Karma.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Ya gotta luv Karma.
    Funny how stuff comes around and goes around.............Congrats, your effort was rewarded!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27