Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW options

Default CCW options

Glock 30 SF .45 vs Springfield XD subcompact .40

Looking for a CCW and can't decide between two. Would like to hear your opinions. This will be a everyday carry through summer and winter. I am pulling more towards the Glock due to it being a Glock in a .45.
    Semper Fi

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Neither.

But that is just me and my cranky preferences.

Where I am at it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity these days. I am religated to cargo shorts and a tee shirt. The P3AT in the front pocket is about all the gun I can hide.

The shoulder holster shows through the tee shirt and the ankle holster really sticks out. Inside the waist band means the gun is as sweaty as the rest of me.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I went the .45 route when I got my CCW. Didn't do it very long. Pretty darn heavy and it just gets heavier as the day wears on. Hard to wear your pants around your knee on the carry side.

I'd suggest something with a little less punch and a lot less weight. Ruger LCR in .38 Special is a time honored round or the Kel-Tec PF9 in .9mm, another respectable caliber. Both are very lightweight. You can forget you have them. Easy to drop in a pocket and shows little to no profile.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't own the Glock 30, but do have the Springfield XD sub compact in 40 cal. For me, it all boils down to how you plan on carrying it. I normally carry in a shoulder bag or waist bag - an normally carry a full sized 40 cal. How do you plan on concealing it?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't own the Glock 30, but do have the Springfield XD sub compact in 40 cal. For me, it all boils down to how you plan on carrying it. I normally carry in a shoulder bag or waist bag - an normally carry a full sized 40 cal. How do you plan on concealing it?
    I plan on my carry to be mostly IWB.
    Semper Fi

I carry a p226 in a Don Humes. Carry a pf9 in a pocket holster. depends on the what I'm wearing...

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I carry a p226 in a Don Humes. Carry a pf9 in a pocket holster. depends on the what I'm wearing...
    If I remember right isn't the P226 what the Seal Teams carry? 20 round mags I believe.
    Semper Fi

Banned

I carry my Combat commander in an inside the pant holster in the small of my back, when I ride in the car I move it to the side,

For an IWB holster I prefer a full sized weapon to the sub compacts - but that's just me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I went the .45 route when I got my CCW. Didn't do it very long. Pretty darn heavy and it just gets heavier as the day wears on. Hard to wear your pants around your knee on the carry side.

I'd suggest something with a little less punch and a lot less weight. Ruger LCR in .38 Special is a time honored round or the Kel-Tec PF9 in .9mm, another respectable caliber. Both are very lightweight. You can forget you have them. Easy to drop in a pocket and shows little to no profile.
    I did the same. I carry my little Kel-Tec now. I can forget I have it on me it is so light and thin.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I guess I lack sone kind of parinoid gene, or have an excess of lazy genes. I look at that 1911 with the big 'ole .45s stacked up and all I think about is how HEAVY that thing is, and how hard it is to cover it. Then I have to figure out how to get to it if I need it. Summer it is under a shirt, winter it is under a coat.

Then I drop the pipsqueek P3AT in my front pocket and head for the car. Winter time it is in the right jacket pocket, usually with my hand on it. Intent is to shoot it through the pocket. You can't beat that for fast access.

Full sized guns are great. So is my PC, but I'm not carrying it around. If I need access to info on the go It will be an Ipad or Blackberry that I can drop in my pocket. I don't even carry a cell phone on my belt. The small gun may be underpowered but it will be with me when I need it. The full sized gun will be at home in the safe when I need it.

It's a personal thing for everyone. You carry because of certain attitudes, thought processes and body size.

What I have found, for my entire life, is that if I have a weapon I never have a confrontation. I will only have problems when I am unarmed.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Either gun would do the job just fine. I carry the G27 myself. 40 seems to be a lot more available than 45 these days which might be something to consider.

+1 on the P3AT. My G27 is usually with me but the P3AT is ALWAYS with me.

My .02 If you are going to go IWB check out Crossbreed Supertuck holsters. I have no affiliation with them.

I first purchased a comptac minotaur and it was the most uncomfortable thing ever. Very well made, I'll give them that. Some guys swear by them. I swore off on IWB after that day. Well until we were at the dog park and my wife looked at me when I had my Fullsize MP 40 in my blackhawk serpa under a baggy shirt and said, "You need to do something about that!" Well darn, I had to spend more money on a holster. I asked around and a lot of guys swore up and down about the crossbreed so I I ordered one. They have a two week no questions asked money back guarantee so I decided what can it hurt. I adjusted the cant and ride height and it simply is a joy to wear. Not a happy hip hop hooray joy but night and day difference from the first IWB.

My only problem is trying to conceal the handle of the gun if I sit down. It pokes out the back of the shirt. I wear it at 4:00 Compact models of guns do not seem to have this problem because of the shorter handle. (Thanks captain obvious!) Oh well, I wear a button up shirt over my tshirt and the gun disappers.

Sorry that was long winded and again I have no affiliation with crossbreed.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

45 cal Beretta Cougar IWB. I have some of the others but I don't like to shoot that many times. Think I mentioned a dealer asking me why I carried a 45, he said it was "overkill", there's that stupid again.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Then there's the Beretta safely hidden in the house....somewhere....we think.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrnstrong View Post
    If I remember right isn't the P226 what the Seal Teams carry? 20 round mags I believe.

The Navy Seals chose it over the Beretta. though I think both use 9mm. I have a .40 which upgrades the slide and barrel to stainless steel. My .40 is 12+1.

SIG firearms are perfectly balanced and unarguably reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrnstrong View Post
    Glock 30 SF .45 vs Springfield XD subcompact .40

Looking for a CCW and can't decide between two. Would like to hear your opinions. This will be a everyday carry through summer and winter. I am pulling more towards the Glock due to it being a Glock in a .45.
    .45 cal. just means less rounds and one hell of a kick in a glock. I'd go with a glock instead of a springfield, but personally I'd try a different caliber.

Winter i carry a glock 22 or 27. In the summer I carry a walther or a snub-nose. Just because the glocks can get a little noticeable in the summer for me wearing shorts and a t.

It is all personal preference though. Find what you prefer, and use it.
    Last edited by xj2000; 06-25-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    BEND OVER - Here comes the "change"

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default No Respect

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Then there's the Beretta safely hidden in the house....somewhere....we think.
    I should have known, guess a mouse took the mouse gun. I tried the 40 mini- Cougar and just didn't feel right. The Walther ppk/s is nice to carry but a little light. I don't carry any 9s, don't need that many shots. I like the S&W Mod. 60 38 for a belly gun. My 357 has more noise & muzzle blast than my Redhawk 44 cannon so it's my favorite 45 for carry. I don't try to drive a railroad spike with a tack-hammer, if I get too feeble to carry it I'll hire a gun bearer.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Neither.

But that is just me and my cranky preferences.

Where I am at it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity these days. I am religated to cargo shorts and a tee shirt. The P3AT in the front pocket is about all the gun I can hide.

The shoulder holster shows through the tee shirt and the ankle holster really sticks out. Inside the waist band means the gun is as sweaty as the rest of me.
    I am in the same boat, too hot and humid to hide even my S&W M60 38+ snubbie. I tried a Ruger LCP while on vacation and am now saving my pennies to get one. It carried real easy in a cargo pants pocket and is not prone to print the way the S&W does.

Banned

Get one of those fanny pack holsters ? I know, Its so 80's, but I had one, Its a great way to carry comfortable and you can carry a lg frame auto with ease,