Thread: Gorge Hook and Cordage fishing set

Default Gorge Hook and Cordage fishing set

(note: This is preachtheWORD posting for maker_of_fire. He is much better at primitive technology than modern technology!)

In another thread (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...290#post228290 post #30 and following) I posted about a Gorge Hook and Line I made. I am not sure that you guys understood what I was meaning. Here are some pictures.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The Gorge Hook is made from a deer leg bone, and is about 3/4" long. The weight is soapstone. The line is made from narrow-leaf milkweed.

In the other thread about using pine pitch, I asked if I should coat my cordage in pitch to waterproof it and keep it from falling apart when wet. Do you think this would work, or what else could I use?

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pine pitch will make the line rather stiff and unweildy. I might try coating with some tallow or beeswax to help with the water, but Pitch is pretty brittle. Erunk has some recipes to make pitch of different qualities and softness. You might give one of his recipes (like for chewing gum) a try on some scrap pieces and see if that is more what you are looking for. TrapperJack on youtube. He's got some good stuff on there!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

I suggested the beeswax to him. That seems the best option to me. I wonder how it would work without any thing on it. Would it fall apart when wet? I suspect that he is a little hesitant to test that out and risk ruining his work.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

That's a cool setup.

I'd use some type of oil for waterproofing, but if it's narrow leaf milkweed which I thought was also called dogbane or indian hemp then it shouldn't fall apart when wet. My dogbane cordage just got tighter if anything and the moisture actually helped to set the twist.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Let me know how it works out ptw. I would think the tallow would give a scent in the water. Of course, there weren't bees here before european settlers came, so the natives didn't have beeswax.
    My yucca cordage doesn't seem too affected by water when processed the way I do. Either way, I am definately interested in the results. Keep us posted!
    I find that a well twined rope doesn't come apart in water and I don't coat my yucca strings with anything. Got a 3' piece I have been using for various stuff for about a year now and took it swimming/ fishing with us today to tie the cricket cage around my neck. Still unaffected by the water so I say give it a shot! you can always dry it out and coat it later if you think it still needs it.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    Of course, there weren't bees here before european settlers came, so the natives didn't have beeswax.
    I didn't know that!
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Sadly, it's true. Native Americans didn't have nifty sayings like, "Mind your own beeswax" or "What's all the buzz about?". "Busy as a buffalo," just didn't have the same pizzaz.

Excellent job on the fishing kit, by the way. Making cordage is something I want to work on this year.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    there weren't bees here before european settlers came, so the natives didn't have beeswax.
    I'm Not so sure about that YCC,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_bee

Honey bees as a group appear to have their center of origin in South and Southeast Asia (including the Philippines), as all but one of the extant species are native to that region, notably the most plesiomorphic living species (Apis florea and A. andreniformis).[1] The first Apis bees appear in the fossil record at the Eocene-Oligocene boundary, in European deposits. The origin of these prehistoric honey bees does not necessarily indicate that Europe is where the genus originated, only that it occurred there at that time. There are few known fossil deposits in the suspected region of honey bee origin, and fewer still have been thoroughly studied. There is only one fossil species documented from the New World, Apis nearctica, known from a single 14-million-year old specimen from Nevada.[2]

Morphology of a female honey bee
    The close relatives of modern honey bees - e.g. bumblebees and stingless bees - are also social to some degree, and social behavior seems a plesiomorphic trait that predates the origin of the genus. Among the extant members of Apis, the more basal species make single, exposed combs, while the more recently-evolved species nest in cavities and have multiple combs, which has greatly facilitated their domestication.
    Most species have historically been cultured or at least exploited for honey and beeswax by humans indigenous to their native ranges. Only two of these species have been truly domesticated, one (Apis mellifera) at least since the time of the building of the Egyptian pyramids, and only that species has been moved extensively beyond its native range.
    Last edited by Justin Case; 06-20-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Yeah, but 14 million years ago Nevada was in the Southern Hemisphere and breaking off of Pangea. That's when Raquel Welch was running around in that animal skin bikini. European Honey Bees were brought here in 1622.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Are those bee stings on her chest ? she must be real allergic !!

You're sick. You know that, right?