Thread: The Sword I made ...

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Default The Sword I made ...

Several years ago, I got it in my head that I needed to make a sword. (In case the barbarians attack and we run out of bullets!) My dad (maker_of_fire) worked with me.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

We started out a leaf spring from a big truck. In the pictures you can still see the hole in the middle, which we left so people would believe what it was made from. It was quite a challenge to straighten out the leaf spring. We tried several methods. What finally worked the best was this: I hammered it with a 9lb sledge while dad held it on top of a big stump. After about a day of this we got it straightened out.

I did not hammer it to make the blade. This was done totally by stock removal using a disk grinder. This was a ridiculously slow process because we did not want to overheat the piece and lose the temper of the steel. It took several days of grinding to get what you see in the pictures. I did not put an especially sharp edge on it for the sake of saftey. A 37 inch, 9 pound sword with a razor edge sounds pretty dangerous to me!

We used an acetylene torch to trim down the tang. The handle is extremely dry locust wood, held in with brass pins and wrapped in leather. I shaped the handle for a two-hand grip, which is necessary with a sword this size. The pommel is a brass knob, which was actually a ball from a horse hame.

The resulting sword would be rather large and heavy for practical use in battle, unless you were a rather large and heavy barbarian. (I am large and heavy and I am not sure I could swing that thing throughout a protracted battle!) It makes a good showpiece, even though I have not kept it oiled as I should - you can see the tarnish in places. But it was a fun project and my first attempt at bladesmithing. I hope you enjoy it and are inspired to try something.

Last edited by preachtheWORD; 06-19-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Banned

Hassan CHOP !

But seriously, Thats cool, You could chop somebody's head off with that thing !

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Really cool PTW! Maybe you guys can make some neat tomahawks and machetes, and stuff like that too! I had to show this to my oldest son. He loves swords and such and now he wants a sword like that lol! Nice work!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

That is pretty sweet. If I had one of those none of the farmer's melons would be safe.

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    That is pretty sweet. If I had one of those none of the farmer's melons would be safe.
    Believe me, it was very hard to resist the urge to whack stuff with it! I guess my urge not to destroy all the hard work I put into it overrode my urge to chop with it.

It has actually come in handy a few times as a sermon illustration. Hebrews 4:12 says "For the word of God is quick (i.e., living), and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Actually well done, sturdy to use and a joy to hold
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Well done! That has a very tough look to it and you cant do much better than leaf spring for a sword. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool, man, can you imagine 20/30 thousand guys per side hacking away at each other? Toss in arrows, spears, axe's.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Wow! That is awesome and great work. I still hate Grinding 6+" blades. That looks like alot of work. Very cool.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Nice job! What's next, a plow shear (Isaiah 2:4)?
    Last edited by rebel; 06-22-2010 at 01:23 AM.

Outstanding looking work! I don't know if I could resist the urge to wack something with that one.

Paul
    I like this little guy

http://pmooreknives.webs.com