Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cacti

Default Cacti

This came up over in the cooking thread. So I thought I'd crosspost the info here.

Prickly pear cactus pads (nopales) are traditional eats in Mexican cuisine. Usually you'll see them served as part of en egg dish, or in a burrito.

They are best picked young and small, no more than 3/8" thick. Springtime is the best season.

After picking, I washed the pad, and de-spined it. I use tongs to hold it, and the run the blade of a knife along the surface to cut them off. I use a vegetable brush to get the glochids (the tiny hair-like spines) off. I've heard you can also burn them off on a stove burner or grill.

Then I cut it up. At this point you can blanch the pieces or let them sit in salt and then rinse, to reduce the slime. If you like okra, you can skip this step.

Then you can sautee them, boil them, include them in a stew, fry them, what have you.

Supposedly they are very good for you too, with blood sugar and cholesterol lowering properties.

More detailed info here:
    http://www.goodhealth.com/articles/2...as_a_vegetable

Here are some cactus fries I made last night:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I cut it into pieces, and blanched them, hoping to reduce the slime. Then I dredged them in Zatarain's fish fry, and fried them:

The fruits (also called tunas) are also edible, and quite tasty! Last year I gathered many:

After de-spining, peeling, blending them (you can also break them down by cooking), and straining them:

I got quite a bit of juice:

Which which, I made:

Syrup (some intentionally, some was meant to be jelly, but failed)

Wine

You can use the syrup for pancakes, or mix with club soda or tonic water for a soda, or my fave, a margarita:

AWESOME, awesome post!!!!
    Thanks so much grrlscout, can't wait to track down some cacti/fruits to try it.
    BTW, the fruit (color is beautiful) has so much range of what all you can do with it. I had NO idea.

Great post. Rep on the way.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I should also include some warning that I'm talking about prickly pear cactus here (Opuntia). Some other kinds of cacti (barrel cactus for instance) have high levels of oxalic acid, which is bad news. Read up on the details here:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wryheat/200...from-a-cactus/
    Last edited by grrlscout; 06-18-2010 at 05:16 PM.

That was a great post. Those things over winter here in the Midwest just fine. I had them for seven or eight years and never knew they were edible. I found out AFTER I got rid of them. If anyone in the Midwest wants to grow them, they will shrivel up after the first frost and you'll swear they are dead but they aren't. Just leave them outside and when the weather warms in the spring they pop right out again. It's kind of amazing to see how bad they look, all shriveled and brown then how plump and green they get again.

Thanks for that post. By the way, the hairs are a pain, literally.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Excellent post! My wife and I make prickly pear jelly every year, and want to make wine soon!!

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tried to give you some rep grrlscout, but I gotta spread the love. Excellent post!! Thanks for sharing! our cacti are blooming now and I am eager to make some fruit treats and beverages from them. Bookmarked the thread for future reference!! Thanks a bunch!!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Here are some other cactus things that I found this weekend, that we can munch on.

For one, yucca (I think this one is soaptree yucca [yucca elata]):

The blossoms are edible fresh, boiled or blanches, and I harvested some to try out:

Also, according to the ethnobotany database: "Stems [can be] baked overnight, dried, broken into pieces, softened and eaten" and "Trunks [can be] pit cooked, pounded and made into flour."

The pods of some varieties are also edible. I've been looking for banana yucca (yucca baccata), because supposedly it's the tastiest (especially when roasted). But haven't had any luck yet. The fruits aren't in season yet anyway.

When they are, they look like this (not my pic):

Though the season is done, I did manage to find just a few remaining ocotillo (Fouquieria splendens Engelm.) blossoms, already dried:

I plan on making a nice tea with these.

The plant looks like this (the multi-limbed one in the center)*:

There are many other uses listed in the ethnobotany database, including: "Parched seeds ground into a flour and used to make mush or cakes" and "Fresh blossoms used for food."

That's all for now!

* Also in the pic are saguaro (the tall guy), whose fruit are edible, cholla (branched cactus at the base of the ocotillo), which has edible flower buds, jojoba (leafy thing in the foreground), which has edible nuts, and mormon tea (brushy low bush, on the right), a mild stimulant.
    Last edited by grrlscout; 06-21-2010 at 01:26 PM.

excellent thread. thanks for posting.

the tuna wine looks great.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Mt daughter-in-law on the farm in NM makes a delicious Prickly Pear jelly. She won't let the recipe out, but I'm working on it.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Blog Entries

Yucca flower petals are delicious. I do believe that is the soapbush yucca you have there. I'm also waiting for the fruits (all sp. of which are edible) to mature. I want to try them stuffed with potato and cheese (like a bell pepper).
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I have to say great thred, not sure how I missed this. Going from the Pacific NW to El Paso, I am trying to learn about all this desert stuff. We do have lots of yucca, prickly pear, and such around; just some more things to add to "the list." Thanks for the info!!
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Hey y'all! Just thought I'd add a few updates. Some of these things I posted in other threads. But I suppose they belong here too.

First off, I made some ocotillo blossom sun tea

It was OK. It kind of reminded me of cucumber water. Very mild, and refreshing.

Also, I think above, I mentioned barrel cactus fruit not being edible. Well, it is -- just not very tasty. Very tart and sour, like an underripe bell pepper.

It probably didn't help that they were out of season. They were about 7 months too old, and probably concentrated. Early Fall is the time to harvest.

Another find has been cholla buds. They show up in the Spring, so they are long gone now. All are edible, but buckhorn and staghorn are preferred.

I removed the spines

Then blanched them and dried them. To use, rehydrate first.

I haven't given them a taste yet, but supposedly they taste a bit like asparagus.

BTW saguaro fruit are ripening up right now. But they are protected on state lands, and very hard to get to!

If you're so inclined, and have access, you can do as the indians do, and use some old saguaro ribs to knock them down.

Too much effort for me. But if you're interested, more on harvesting saguaro fruit:
    http://storytrail.com/pages/Saguaroharvest2.html

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

the yucca flowers i tryed left a foul taste in my mouth, could really heavy clay cause that?
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

I think a lot of yuccas grow in heavy clay. Could be the variety. I hear soaptree yucca is well.. soapy.

Prickly pears are in season again.

You know what I'm going to make with them, right?

You've definitely got to come to the Jamboree in October. I promise we won't make you cook.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

OH MAN.. If those popsicles taste anything like the jelly, we'll have a new favorite summer treat. I've been keeping an eye out for ripe tunas. Haven't seen many that were purple yet, but I know where at least 30 stands are nearby, so when they get ripe, we're gonna make a few gallons of juice and just jelly it as we run out. Got half a jar of jelly left. DEELISH!

@ravenscar, the yucca petals are a bit.. pungent??.. soapy?? Definately a different taste, but it reminds me of some candy my grandmother used to give us that was supposedly "vitamins" (she used herbs a lot). The yucca that bloomed in my yard this year tasted just like the yuccas that grow in the woods down by the lake. I don't think it matters much what soil they grow in, they kinda taste like soap. Not entirely disagreeable, but would take some getting used to as a regular food.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You've definitely got to come to the Jamboree in October. I promise we won't make you cook.
    Yeah, right!

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    OH MAN.. If those popsicles taste anything like the jelly, we'll have a new favorite summer treat. I've been keeping an eye out for ripe tunas. Haven't seen many that were purple yet, but I know where at least 30 stands are nearby, so when they get ripe, we're gonna make a few gallons of juice and just jelly it as we run out. Got half a jar of jelly left. DEELISH!
    They do taste like the jelly! Dang tasty and quite refreshing.

I was a bit disappointed to find the batch I picked yesterday weren't quite as ripe as I like 'em. But we'll see how they turn out.

They won't be morada (deep burgundy) ripe til the end of the month, probably.

Does anyoone have a recipe on making prickly pear cactus jelly from the fruit(tuna)? I thought there was something posted but I cannot find anything!

Thanks, Willie
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"