Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting set up on Yukon River

The chainsaw-powered tools are interesting.
    I have seen the winch sold commercially, but it was expensive.
    (In the $800-$900 range) Chainsaw powerhead not included.

Thanks for sharing.

-Mert
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Pal might need to use one to pull an ATV off of him. If you could print the rules in "city slicker" language that would help. That's probably who'll have to run it.

Oh, look at the time. Gotta run!
    Actually I was hoping for a picture tutorial in case I had to rely on rescue from my Indiana brethern .
    Last edited by Pal334; 06-16-2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Dogman and Mertell, thanks for that headsup. I did not know such a thing was available commercialy. I will do some searching. I would think it is a very useful thing to have.

PS: did a bit of googling, so for those who like me were unaware, here is an example.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...utm_medium=cse
    Last edited by Pal334; 06-16-2010 at 05:33 AM. Reason: add link
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

Banned
    Blog Entries

Baileys is where I buy most of my logging equipment, was a sad day when they had to drop the Husky product line.

Awesome. I've always dreamed of going to that area.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Banned
    Blog Entries

AS, is that allotment land.....? 216 acres is a abnormal acreage. Did she select the site.....? Does she own it or is it Native Corporation Land, you called it fish camp is why I ask ???

Banned

This is a GREAT thread ! very interesting, Gonna give it 5 stars !

AS, thanks, shall chalk that one up to a lesson learned and a possible on the equipment list. Anything that will help in the manual labor arena is always worth considering

How many fish is she allowed to take on a fishwheel? I saw those things operate and it's really amazing how efficient they are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

More great pictures. Thanks. I had never seen a fish wheel. I've heard of em, just never saw one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Absolutely awesome place! Thank you for the pictures.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

The bottom face of the basket on the left and the top face of the basket on the right are open to form a scoop. As the basket rotates they scoop fish out of the water.

If you look real close at the pics you can see sort of a shelf toward the center in each of the baskets. They are set on an angle. Then, if you look at the basket on the right you can see the basket is open where the shelf sits. The left one is open as well it's just harder to see.

As the fish is scooped up it slides down the bottom of the basket as the basket rotates up. The fish slides until it hits the shelf and since it's on an angle the fish slides right out the opening. The ones I've seen had a basket to catch the fish. I've also seen some demo units set up that had the baskets removed so the fish just flop back into the river.

The upper support structure is also a paddle. If you look closely you can see the bottom one is in the water. The flow of the river pushes the paddle which rotates the baskets. Then the basket is in the water being pushed by the current and so on making the whole rig rotate.

AS - I don't see a catch basket on that one. Has the basket been removed because of season or owner just not around to harvest? It might be there I just don't see it.

Again, really good pics into AK lifestyle. Thanks!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thank you, sir. I was going strictly by memory on the description. Correct anything I might have messed up but that's how I remember them. Most of the ones I saw had the basket on the bank side. A couple had a chute down to the basket just to make retrieving the fish easier.

That was quite an amazing read, thank you. I hope this project goes with no problems, and i can't wait for more pictures.

In those pics where you used the auger, how deep do you have to go? In NY, where I grew up, it was 4'. In GA, where I live now, it's about 18" - 2'.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Thankyou AS for the pics. When I got out of the service a 100 years ago(just seems like that long) I wanted very much to move to Alaska to live. Your pics always make me wish I had done that.

oldtrap

Great post AS.

So if I wanted there are still opportunities for do it yourself moose hunts on the last frontier ?

How do they do it ? Pay a pilot to drop them off in the area they want to hunt ?

Yes, Wyoming it is illegal to hunt in a wilderness area without a guide if you are a non-resident.