Thread: GPS after EMP

Default GPS after EMP

I was wondering...
    If an EMP goes off and I have planned ahead and placed a few small electronics in a faraday cage/box will a GPS still work? I guess what I am asking is would the EMP effect the satellites?

I'm wanting to know if I can count on the GPS or do I have to start figuring out how to use a compass for more than lining up the satellite dish on the camper?
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

It does today. We've lost links with com satellites in the past and for a couple it was permanent. GPS satellites may well be another matter. Since the military relies and controls them there may well be some special shielding we don't know about. But solar flares can and do give us fits with satellites.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The GPS satellites are in a very high geosynchronous orbit. Because of the extreme altitude, an EMP that effects electronics that we use will not effect any of the satellites. If your receivers were shielded, and the military does not "turn off" or encode the signals, then it will work. They can just turn off one particular part of the signal (P code) that would render civilian models "less accurate". The older transit satellite system (I don't know if it is used anymore) was a relatively low orbit system that was greatly affected by solar activity.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 06-15-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would worry more about us not putting many more satellites back up as others are falling back to earth. Eventually, there won't be any GPS satellites. At any rate, you still need to learn how to read a map and use a compass.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

You GPS is probably going to serve you well in all situations.

But, having the ability to navigate by compass and map. Knowing how to use the sun, moon and stars to find cardinal directions. These are the things a woodsman finds comfort in as he does the knowledge of using matches, fire steel, or bow drill to back up his trusty Bic.

Sometimes you only need certain skills when you really, really, really need certain skills. I always say it is better to have them and not need them. Than to need them and not have them.

I don't think I've ever heard you say that. I've heard you say a lot of things but I've never heard you say that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm thinking a GPS after an EMP attack would be the least of your worries, but thats just me...............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard you say that. I've heard you say a lot of things but I've never heard you say that.

Oh, well, I've uhhh... typed it a couple of times then.