Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the best self defense rifle. Why?

Default what is the best self defense rifle. Why?

Ok. lets just say i have all the hunting and long range guns and ammo I will ever need. I do not own a " self defense gun". I'm looking for a couple of cheap on the DL guns. What do you recommend. I realize i will have to travel to another state to buy it it. What I'm looking for is a reliable gun in a easy to find caliber. Clips in the 30 round range. Open sights. Non reflective finish. Synthetic stock. Good to 200 yards, but capable of laying down some lead for up close action. Not wanting to start a war, but hold my own as i decide to fight or flight. I believe in American made, how ever I'm open minded. A caliber that i will not have a problem finding reloading supplies. Does not weigh a ton. Something the wife and family will enjoy shooting. Nothing full auto, yet. I will be buying this gun this summer and would like your opinions as many of you years of experience with these guns. Thanks for your replies.

Oh i forgot to say. I really like to research ideas and make the most cost worthy purchases only once. I just don't want to buy something does not fit my needs. Thanks again.

By the sounds of what you are describing I'm not sure what you are envisioning as self defense. I was going to suggest 12 ga. shotgun, but from the sounds of it you may be looking for something else.

Oh - and before Sourdough reads this - it's magazine, not clip.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I was thinking 12 ga shotgun too, but you described a full blown assault rifle.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post

Oh - And Before Sourdough Reads This - It's Magazine, Not Clip.

Amen.............

Banned
    Blog Entries

Grizz, do you have a price range, or a price cieling....?

Under $400. Clips vs Magazine. Really!!!!! OK the thingy you put the bullets in!!! Thats to anal for me. People have to be flexible. Yeah I have several shotguns, looking for an assault rifle.

Banned

Maybe a used m1 carbine 30 cal x 30 rnds.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz View Post
    Under $400. Clips vs Magazine. Really!!!!! OK the thingy you put the bullets in!!! Thats to anal for me. People have to be flexible. Yeah I have several shotguns, looking for an assault rifle.
    SKS, w/add-on removable mags, about all your gonna get for that money.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Ahhh, a budget zombie shooter! They would have to be mindless zombies to keep comming after you put a couple of their buds down at long range with your hunting rifle. Anyone else would find a better place to be.

Seems to me like you wrote your requirements while holding a cheap AK or an SKS moded for AK mags.

The $400 price range eliminates almost everything else. As well as the 30 round mags. There are better choices, but not at that price.

Ammo supply is a problem for the M1 carbine, thought it would be my choice too.

I would forget the reloading requirement and stick with the cheap and available surplus ammo in the AK calibers. Jacketed bullet and primer are closing in on the cost of the loaded round.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would invest $400.00 in ammo for a firearm you currently own.

I would NOT risk my life on any $400.00 "Center-fire" Assault Rifle. Maybe a $400.00 assault "Rim-fire" Rifle.

Banned
    Blog Entries

OK the thingy you put the bullets in!!! .
    Sorry, The Bullets go into the cartridge case, It is the Cartridges and not the bullets that go into the Magazine. Sorry I am Anal, at least about firearm terminology.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

For $400 you're going to have to find something pretty much used to match your criteria. If you want to double your funds look into the Ruger Mini-14, otherwise I have no suggestions.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ok say i buy 1 rifle this year and 1 next year. $1,000 for rifle and ammo?

Banned

use your hunting rifle this year and next year spend 1400.00

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Does that make the empty spot in the gun where the clip goes the magazine?

Does an M1 Grand have A clip well or a magazine well?

Does that make a cartride a "bullet holder"?

Are stripper clips really clips since they do not retain the cartridges during the feed cycle and are not necessary for proper functioning of the weapon?

Does that make a belt fed machiene gun operate from a clip? If you hang the ammo box from the side of the belt fed machine gun does that make it magazine fed?

I say sell three or four of the hunting rifles and use the $$$ and buy an M1A and hunt with it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-14-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If you've got your heart set on a "black rifle" you've got several options in the $1000 and up category. Now you have to figure caliber, because cost and availability may be a factor. If I could only have one (I don't believe in only one) I would probably go with 6.8mm. Other calibers are more popular, but I think that round combines range, knock down that works pretty well. There are quite a few people (a lot actually) that are more knowledgable about firearms than me on the forum.

Another to consider that may be closer to the price you mentioned is Ruger mini 30 in 7.62 X 39. You can find a new one in the $500 to $600 range (used are cheaper) and the ammunition is very affordable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Here's some:

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If you've got your heart set on a "black rifle" you've got several options in the $1000 and up category. Now you have to figure caliber, because cost and availability may be a factor. If I could only have one (I don't believe in only one) I would probably go with 6.8mm. Other calibers are more popular, but I think that round combines range, knock down that works pretty well. There are quite a few people (a lot actually) that are more knowledgable about firearms than me on the forum.

Another to consider that may be closer to the price you mentioned is Ruger mini 30 in 7.62 X 39. You can find a new one in the $500 to $600 range (used are cheaper) and the ammunition is very affordable.
    Here's some sites that sell used ones:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-30-sale-8515/

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Ca...ni-14-Type.htm

Good hunting!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

WASR 10s(AK variant) are starting to go for under $400 again but make sure you know what to look for when buying one.

An SKS would be your best choice for that range but work better with 10 round stripper clips than sks mags.

Saigas go for under $400 and are available in several different calibers although for that price your best bet would be to get one in 223 or 7.62x39. The down side to the Saiga is that mags are more expensive although the 7.62 versions are capable of being converted to take standard AK mags.

The only American made gun that might fit the bill would be a used older mini 14. They usually go for $500ish but they sometimes go for around $400. I would not pay a penny over $400 for one being that the new ones go for a little over $600 and are way more accurate.

Be aware that older Mini 14's changed from year to year, making after market add on's a tricky business at times.
    Just be aware of what year it was manufactured before buying scope mounts, cool stocks etc.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27