Thread: Packing the Alice Pack

Default Packing the Alice Pack

While doing the series on General Preparedness, I thought I should do a video on packing an Alice pack. I know that some people don't like the pack in question, I happen to use mine all of the time. I think one of the keys is not to overload the Alice. Anyway, if you have any questions feel free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYybxFCt-lk

Another good vid. I like the Alice pack too and have used a large one for years. I recently converted my medium pack to a trauma kit in case the family has to bug out for some reason. I did update the shoulder straps and the waist belt to Molle straps and I do like the improved padding. I've never used the map pouch for anything so it was an interesting twist to see you pack gear in it. Thanks!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Hey I.W., why don't you post links to all of these vids in a blog; that way they could be readily available long after these threads get buried? I really wish I could get You Tube! BTW, sometime back Chris was offering to pay money for instructional vids, you might PM him & see if the offer's still open!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Nice vid IAW.

@Sarge - there's a link to his youtube channel in his signature.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Yeah, but....

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Nice vid IAW.

@Sarge - there's a link to his youtube channel in his signature.
    Yeah, okay, but that's only good when he posts. Once he's buried, so's his sig.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I have used my med. alice for over ten years,and if I had to buy new pack tommarow,thats what i'd buy again.Theres a reason it stayed as the main troop pack for so many years...because it worked!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"

Banned

Great Vid, Helpful, Thanks

As I use an Alice pack as well, was intresting, never though of carring the ax under the pockets.
    Great vid, some rep coming your way......Been watching some of the others as well, Thanks!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by mccaw69 View Post
    I have used my med. alice for over ten years,and if I had to buy new pack tommarow,thats what i'd buy again.Theres a reason it stayed as the main troop pack for so many years...because it worked!
    Do you use it with or without a frame? Also does the medium alice come with a waist strap if your not using a frame?

Justin - The medium Alice I have does NOT have a kidney pad or waist belt. I do use a frame with mine as I do the large Alice. Both frames are equipped with the pad and belt.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Very nice vid! Thanks. Hey, you left your tarp behind!

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Very nice vid! Thanks. Hey, you left your tarp behind!
    Its an extra one

What is the easiest way to tell the difference between a Med and a Lg. I have one, but not sure which.

Paul
    I like this little guy

http://pmooreknives.webs.com

The large Alice has three small pockets at the top of the pack.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The medium Alice does not.

That's the main difference at a glance.

Wow, to quote Yogi - "It's deja vu, all over again." Those ALICEs really bring back memories of a misspent youth. Wish I had known then about over-loading an ALICE of either size. OK, one short one: my ruck jumping into Robin Sage (paid vacation in the Uwharrie Forest) was weighed at 137 pounds, at it was a medium.

Rick: in spite of fading memory, I think the waist band came with the frames, didn't it?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Yep. The kidney pad attaches to the frame on both sizes.

You can hump the medium without a frame but the large pack requires the frame. The medium has two metal keepers built into the top of the pack for the shoulder straps to attach to. The large pack doesn't have them.