Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synthroid dependent?

Default Synthroid dependent?

Hi all. This is my first post. I did not see a checking in thread so I guess I will just start here. I recently had my thyroid removed and am now dependent on Synthroid. I did know if any of you had any input on this. I have always been one that likes to prepare for the worst and now I am meds dependent. My doctor does not seem to think that finding synthroid will ever problem but I beg to differ. Any advice on this issue would be helpful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quigley View Post
    Hi all. This is my first post. I did not see a checking in thread so I guess I will just start here. I recently had my thyroid removed and am now dependent on Synthroid. I did know if any of you had any input on this. I have always been one that likes to prepare for the worst and now I am meds dependent. My doctor does not seem to think that finding synthroid will ever problem but I beg to differ. Any advice on this issue would be helpful.
    Q, I don't have any answers, on this subject, but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon. Until then, here is the Intro section.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

And y'all be nice to Quigley......even though I'm the one who invited him here. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Sorry, Quigley but if you know 2D then you already have 3 strikes against you.

As for not finding Synthroid it would help to understand why you think that might be a problem. What kind of emergency do you foresee?

By the way, if you go to Synthroid.com you can get a coupon for your med that will save you a couple of bucks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sorry, Quigley but if you know 2D then you already have 3 strikes against you.

As for not finding Synthroid it would help to understand why you think that might be a problem. What kind of emergency do you foresee?

By the way, if you go to Synthroid.com you can get a coupon for your med that will save you a couple of bucks.
    How about just give him 2 strikes......he and I have never actually met. LOL

Living where he and I live, I'd say that a Katrina type disaster, would be the first to prep for.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

If that's the case then he should talk to his doctor about an additional one month supply that he can keep rotated. I have medication I take daily and that's exactly what I have. It's a good back up too. On rare occasions I've realized I ran too low before re-ordering and have had to go to my backups for a day or two until I could get it refilled.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Docs will prescribe a 3 month supply for some medications. I would think that one you are probably going to be on for the rest of your life would be on that list. Then, similar to Rick's suggestion - refill it about a month early. That way you are sure to have at least an extra 30 day supply on hand.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

'Zactly!!!!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is one instance where I say go online and buy in quantity. Half the world is on syntoid. The pharmacy will often give a 90 day supply on the spot.

By some judisious and completely legal maneuvers I secured a 1 year supply of my heart meds. Nothing habit forming or dangerous so there was no problem.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Docs will prescribe a 3 month supply for some medications. I would think that one you are probably going to be on for the rest of your life would be on that list. Then, similar to Rick's suggestion - refill it about a month early. That way you are sure to have at least an extra 30 day supply on hand.
    I did not realize that I could do that. I thought I had to wait until I ran out. If that will work that would be awesome.

Just explain your concerns to your doctor. They will probably be onboard with the idea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As a member who lost his thyroid last year, refill your perscription five days early move the five pills into a micro pill container thats water tight and has cotton in it. Keep it in the top of your pack as a backup. This way your insurance will continue to compensate.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    As a member who lost his thyroid last year, refill your perscription five days early move the five pills into a micro pill container thats water tight and has cotton in it. Keep it in the top of your pack as a backup. This way your insurance will continue to compensate.
    I see. That is a good idea. So after one month I have 5 pills and after 2 months I have 10 pills etc. It seems that by doing it this way after one year I will have refilled my prescription 14 times and will have an extra 60 pills. I did not realize that the insurance would cover it this way. So how long until I need to replace the stash?

Quote Originally Posted by Quigley View Post
    I see. That is a good idea. So after one month I have 5 pills and after 2 months I have 10 pills etc. It seems that by doing it this way after one year I will have refilled my prescription 14 times and will have an extra 60 pills. I did not realize that the insurance would cover it this way. So how long until I need to replace the stash?
    Rotate them. Take the oldest ones, and your stash will always be the freshest ones.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

The FDA does advise, however, that to help ensure the best possible potency of your medication, you should store your levothyroxine drugs in a dry place, at room temperature. You should avoid humid or hot conditions -- that means, you should NOT store your levothyroxine in the bathroom. Summertime and hot climates -- as well as the popularity of mail order pharmacies -- raise additional issues. Find out important guidelines on how to protect your thyroid medication from heat damage.

Synthroid is shelf stable up to two years with a potency drop of 5%
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Check the expiration date and be mindful of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Rotate them. Take the oldest ones, and your stash will always be the freshest ones.
    Definitely.

Thanks to all for the help. I can tell that I am going to like it here.

Something else to consider - since they are a prescribed medicine, you may want to keep those that you store in an original, labeled bottle that came from the pharmacy. While I understand that they are not a controlled substance, if stopped by law enforcement it would be one less thing that you had to explain. That, and it would still have the expiration date on it (if you rotate the bottles too).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

The wife has taken Synthroid for years and no problem with supply. We have a very understanding Dr with common sense. You will notice a big difference between generic and the real stuff. Crash is correct about the container. Haven't heard of anyone dealing synthroid but anything is possible.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

"Pssst. Dude. Got any Synthroid?"
    "What?!"
    "Come on, man. I got cash money."