Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a Wonderful/Great Idea for the forum.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default I have a Wonderful/Great Idea for the forum.

What if there was a way to let members have fun being off subject, etc. However after the thread (Say a scenario thread) ran it's course, it could be locked, and the Original poster could delete the junk/off subject/etc. and end up with a good teaching thread that would be useful to a newbie.

Newbies and lurker's could learn without getting distracted and upset about the tinfoil thongs and our friendly chiding. They could be organized in a new teaching section. They would be locked to the members, but if later it was discovered there was miss information, then a moderator could change the small no longer relevant parts.

In the end we would have had fun, and produced something worthwhile.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 06-08-2010 at 01:49 AM.

This does sound good. Several times I have searched for things but after a few different entries on what I'm searching for, you end up loosing what you are after.

I like the idea, I have also had to sort through the chaff in a thread to make sure didn't miss the good stuff. Some times its tedious.

I'm not sure about locking the thread because old threads have been resurrected with new questions or information that has been valuable.

It could be a a bit messy with editing permissions and stuff I have no clue about.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Something along those lines sounds good. There is a lot of good info here, but at times it's quite hard to find.

i like the idea of still being able to resurrect old threads too.

...or, delete what you want. Take an idea and make it your own. Oh yea, ...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    ...or, delete what you want. Take an idea and make it your own. Oh yea, ...

Not sure what your point is.....? My point is to make educational/useful threads.

My point is being the devil's advocate. Who would guard the chickens (geese for you)?

Banned
    Blog Entries

My point is being the devil's advocate. Who would guard the chickens (geese for you)?

Sorry, I still don't understand.....? What does guarding the geese have to do with creating a educational library for newbies and visitors too the forum....? Suggest you reread the ORIGINAL POST.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    the Original poster could delete
    It could work for you but, what about the full moon folks?

Banned
    Blog Entries

It could work for you but, what about the full moon folks?

Well, I don't know any "FULL MOON" folks. Who edits them is unimportant, the goal is useful information, with-out a lot of chit-chat. Kind of a win-win.

O.K. do it.

Banned

I think "Most" of the goofing around happens in the "General Chat" Forum. as it should.

I've thought of something similar before. My idea was just to give the Original Poster the ability to delete comments that are off-topic. If the OP deletes valuable information that he/she doesn't agree with, a moderator could restore that info. (Mods do have that power, right?)
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    I've thought of something similar before. My idea was just to give the Original Poster the ability to delete comments that are off-topic. If the OP deletes valuable information that he/she doesn't agree with, a moderator could restore that info. (Mods do have that power, right?)
    Then we have a flame war between members; the one who's post was deleted angry at the deleter. Plus, that power too delete cannot just be aimed at certain posts, it's a "blanket" power that applies to any post on any thread. So some troll goes "delete happy" and wipes out tons of stuff before we can ban them, what then? I'm not going to regulate/restore all of that every time! Just try & behave people!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Then we have a flame war between members; the one who's post was deleted angry at the deleter. Plus, that power too delete cannot just be aimed at certain posts, it's a "blanket" power that applies to any post on any thread. So some troll goes "delete happy" and wipes out tons of stuff before we can ban them, what then? I'm not going to regulate/restore all of that every time! Just try & behave people!

First: This could be a "NEW" Forum called teaching/learning threads, members would know up front that it was going to be a teaching thread and would be edited, they could post or not post.

Second: I don't care who edits the post, it could be the moderators, the who is not important.......The GOAL is for New Members or Lurkers to be able to get to the meat of what is important. The object is to produce 5 or 10 good condensed threads that are useful learning tools.

Third: This could happen 90 days after thread has died and no one wants to post to it. We are talking about maybe two or three threads per year.

Four: You could keep the Original thread open, just create a closed copy that is edited, and would be a "CHAPTER" in the book.

Well, I could get into Cliff Notes threads of various teaching/tips threads.

Sourdough - I think that has been the goal of sticky's that have been made (for the most part) I don't think that we can't sticky every good thread, and I know that is not what you are asking. I've got no problem copying a thread, deleting the frivolity, and posting it for others to learn from. The problem with that though is that as new threads in that sub forum are created, or old ones are commented on - the teaching/learning thread that has been closed becomes buried (remember - threads with newest posts to the top).

I do like the idea of valuable information being readily available, and sometimes I am not the most proficient with the search function of v-bulletin board, but I just don't see a way to mechanize it in the manner in which I think you envision.

I know that some forums are really particular about staying on topic. Some, so much so that to deviate is a banable offense. I know that is not what you are suggesting. I don't think the mods should be the arbiters of what gets posted or is pertinent, as that would lead to a lot of discontent IMO. As JIC said, most of our frivolity (not all) takes place in the General Chat section.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I know that some forums are really particular about staying on topic. Some, so much so that to deviate is a banable offense. I know that is not what you are suggesting. I don't think the mods should be the arbiters of what gets posted or is pertinent, as that would lead to a lot of discontent IMO. As JIC said, most of our frivolity (not all) takes place in the General Chat section.
    Surely we don't want to become a "nanny forum" do we?
    Last edited by BENESSE; 06-08-2010 at 05:33 PM.

No we don't, and I don't think that is being suggested. I'm just not sure if the mechanics of the forum will achieve the goal that some are seeking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am just NOT getting this communicated. Pretend you have never ever thought about wilderness survival, NEVER, NEVER. Something happens in your life, and you find this forum. Woo pie. What if after you register or log on for the first 5 times, You get sent to "Basic Survival School". They don't have to read it, but it would have 10 Chapters. Like "If you live in New York City or L.A. survival Tips" another chapter might be: "Economic survival for the poor/cash short/unemployed & how to save your credit". We have so much too offer.

THE FORUM WOULD STAY THE SAME & We would write a quick reference book.