Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Annual Indiana(with honorable mention to all other states and Canada) Jamboree

I will say this...October in the Smokies is gonna' have LOTS of people in the area. That's when the leaves turn.... People come from all over just for that. I used to live in Knoxville area, not far from there. Dot is from Kodak, which is right at the exit off of I-40 heading towards Sevierville (and Smoky Mountain Knife Works) Exit 408 I believe or 409. The Entrance near Townsend is a little off the beaten path....kinda'. Not real sure about it,never camped there, But Dot may know more...Cades Cove maybe???

Kind of what I was thinking - cooler weather, beutiful scenery. Kentucky would be cool to - I'd still get to drive through the Smoky Mts. and enjoy the view.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well guys my vote is for my home. The Great Smokies. I haven't seen them up close in a long time been wanting to go home. Cades Cove is a nice place to camp. There is a campground in Townsend which is nice as well. My vacation is in October. My vacation starts OCt. 17-23. I believe I will make sure tonight when I go in to work.

I have camped up in the smokies i Oct. I would suggest that everyone brings a light jacket. I will do some research for you guys about campgrounds in the Smokies.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

A place where you can catch some trout would be great.

The Great Smokies has trout fishing.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

How primitive are you all wanting to go?

It would all depend on who's planning on attending. If it's like the last one, with spouses and kids, I regular campground with at least the facilities we had in Indiana would be best IMO. Backpacking in is OK with me, but then we don't get to bring all of the neat toys and projects like we did last time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you are going to be coming during the Fall make sure you reserve your site about 6 or more weeks out. We had to reserve ours a few years ago about 6 out.

We have some great trout fishing here, but it all depends on how much time you want to spend getting to a spot. Some of the best fishing are a few miles into the park and most people do not feel like hiking that much. You have great fishing off Cosby Creek, Little River, Deep Creek, and many more!

Well at Cades Cove they have the amenities that we had in Indiana. I asked about how primitive because they have sites that you can only get to them though the trail. If we do it when I am on vacation Mel, the boys, and me will attend. I will find out exactly what dates that I have for vacation.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm still looking to go. I'll need to know a date so I can postpone shoulder surgery past then. I'll be able to hike in but will need to take a break about every mile. Looking forward to getting together again.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

My vacation is Oct. 17-23

So - how does the 22nd - 24th work for everybody, or is there a better weekend?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm good with that date. I'm actually good with just about any date but that happens to be a good week-end for me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Looking over the info on Cades Cove, it looks beautiful. I know it's a popular campgrounds and a popular time of the year. For those of you that have some experience in the area - please chime in.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It is a nice campground.
    That is a good date for me.
    It shouldn't be a problem to find a camping sites because one school is back in. I love the area and it will bring back alot of memories.
    There are things to do for kids as well. Bicycle rentals, hiking trails, and other stuff.
    It is a beautiful time of the year to go there might be traffic when you first arrive.
    Overall a very good place to camp.

Looks good.

We were at Cades Cove two weekends ago and they ran out of space. It was one of the busiest times I have seen.

No showers or electricity there, but they do have restrooms. Nice little shop with soft serve ice cream too.

The loop is closed on Wednesday and Saturday mornings from 7-10am for Bicycles Only.

Abrams Falls is near as well.

There's lots to do there, but make sure you keep your tent on the pad or you will get a warning and then if you do not move it you will get a citation. The Rangers at this campsite are extremely strict due to its popularity and wanting to keep it clean and looking nice.

It's also not too far away from Gatlinburg and/or Pigeon Forge for those of you that have wives that like to shop. You could always visit Smoky Mountain Knife Works...=)

That is an awesome place to visit. I was living in Kodak when they were building that.
    A lot of people visit there in the summer.
    Crash it might not be bad idea to see if we need to make reservations for those dates.
    I loved camping there growing up.

I think it depends on the location...They do have showers in some places.

I'm going to call them later today and see what kind of info and insight I can get. I see on their website that there are four group campsites - I'll see what I can find out about those too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just thinking about that campground brings back so much memories. We spent a whole summer there one year. it was wonderful.