Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Survival Stove

From the Very Well-known

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Esbit is made out of Methenamine. I have no idea how that relates to hexamine or whether one is a component of the other.

You might try Amazon.com. I think they ship world wide.
    Before getting from amazon, I've asked the guy with the esbit like stove where he got his extra tablets. I'll get a reply tommorow.

The stove that is on ebay india is not esbit make but is a look alike. Would that make a difference in working? I guess no?

Here is the one which I've ordered:
    http://cgi.ebay.in/Portable-Foldable...3A1%7C294%3A25

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior View Post
    Before getting from amazon, I've asked the guy with the esbit like stove where he got his extra tablets. I'll get a reply tommorow.

The stove that is on ebay india is not esbit make but is a look alike. Would that make a difference in working? I guess no?

Here is the one which I've ordered:
    http://cgi.ebay.in/Portable-Foldable...3A1%7C294%3A25
    It looks like it will work just fine. For the price (under $2.50 US) you probably won't go wrong.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree. I don't know what the fuel is but the stove looks like it would work just fine.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by wychwood View Post
    How about this fuel, might suit you too Crash as it's odourless. Havent tried it yet myself but I intend doing so. It's supposed to be Esbit compatible.

http://www.armyrations.co.uk/product...l_Gel_Fuel.htm
    Looks kind of interesting. We have a similar product (Sterno) but I have not seen it in the little packets like that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

From the Very Well-known

How about this fuel, might suit you too Crash as it's odourless. Havent tried it yet myself but I intend doing so. It's supposed to be Esbit compatible.

http://www.armyrations.co.uk/product...l_Gel_Fuel.htm
    If I didn't misunderstand and my memory didn't fail, doesn't the esbit solid fuel give out some strong odour?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior View Post
    If I didn't misunderstand and my memory didn't fail, doesn't the esbit solid fuel give out some strong odour?
    Yes the esbit fuel does and it's not advisable to use it in confined spaces. The link I gave is Crusader ethanol based gel fuel. Hope this clarifies things for you. It looks like it could do the job and is supposed to last 20 mins.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I think there is an odor to Esbit when not burning, just stored. If I keep it in my pack, for example, I notice it when I open the pack. I have it stored in the box laying on a shelf and I don't notice any odor. I guess it can dissipate if it isn't closed up.

I haven't notice a strong odor when burning. Nothing like triox, in my opinion.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think there is an odor to Esbit when not burning, just stored. If I keep it in my pack, for example, I notice it when I open the pack. I have it stored in the box laying on a shelf and I don't notice any odor. I guess it can dissipate if it isn't closed up.

I haven't notice a strong odor when burning. Nothing like triox, in my opinion.
    When I broke out my Esbit in the power cut, Rick, in the instructions it recommended not using it in confined spaces and it was a bit whiffy. Perhaps it's the fuel that I've got.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

When I broke out my Esbit in the power cut, Rick, in the instructions it recommended not using it in confined spaces and it was a bit whiffy. Perhaps it's the fuel that I've got.
    Winnie, have you tried those Gel-Packs you posted earlier in the Esbit Stove? I can't see why they wouldn't work just as well.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I certainly don't advocate using anything in a confined space. I'd never fire up anything in a backpacking tent. Under any circumstances.

I've always been outdoors when we've used one so perhaps there has been enough of a breeze that I didn't notice it. Either that or our bad cooking masked the smell. (shrug).

Blog Entries

Hey Sarge! Yup they're on my list, I'm going to give them a try. Just to point out I didn't use the stove indoors, I must've looked pretty funny sitting outside my backdoor with with my fishing brolly covering the pot boiling! but at least I had a hot drink and a nice stew.

I've never noticed an odor while burning either fuel. The Esbit has a slight odor, but the Triox really stinks. One batch must have had a broken seal because the stink was very noticeable before opening. On that batch I notice that you would get a slight "pop" whle burning the tablets, but did not notice it on the others.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh, I completely forgot to mention...

You must wash your hands after handling Trioxane. It's toxic and can be transferred to your food and utensils.

Esbit does not carry that precaution.