Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any idea what this is?

Default Any idea what this is?

While out and about on my camp trip, I found these ( berries, fruit , ????)

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

the outside texture feels like a unripe tomato, when cut open the insides resemble a pomogranit. Any ideas if its edible ?

I looked thru the books I have and didnt find anything that matched it, I tried googling it and didnt find anything yet.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Do you have any pictures of the leaf detail from the vine?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Is it this ? wild rose .

This is the only other picture i took .
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

My initial thought was some type of wild rose... But very hard to tell from these pictures.
    And , admittedly, I am not well versed in the plant species of your neck of the woods.
    I am interested.. If you head back there try to get a detailed picture of the leaves on the stem like Crash said.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

I didnt have a camera just my iphone with for the trip, I should be able to get by there later this month and get some detailed pictures. from what I saw and can remember the vine section were the berries(?) are didnt have any leaves. the leaves in the two pictures are from the tree/brush it is growing up in.

What size is the fruit looks 1/4" or less?
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

That looks and sounds like something Green Deane had on one of his youtube videos. He's in Florida. I looked, but couldn't find the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    What size is the fruit looks 1/4" or less?
    smallest one on the vine was maybe 1/2" and the others were 3/4" to 1 inch

Looks like a choke berry bush to me,but I cant' really tell,eyes aint what they used to be.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"

here is a couple pics of the leaves and also what the inside looks like.

Not sure what it is, but it's got leaf miners.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Not sure what it is, but it's got leaf miners.
    just in this little section, the rest of the vine look pretty good.

Is this in Texas? I've seen that plant before if it's the same thing I'm thinking about. Is the skin of those fruits a little bit papery and hollow?

My dad had one of those vines growing along his fence. I knew this guy who grabbed one of those fruits, tore it open, and ate the insides and spit out the seeds. He said you can eat it , told me to try some and I did.

After finding out I could eat them, I always ate those fruits when I saw them. I never got sick or anything so I assumed he was right.

Don't know the name of it or anything, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickled View Post
    Is this in Texas? I've seen that plant before if it's the same thing I'm thinking about. Is the skin of those fruits a little bit papery and hollow?

My dad had one of those vines growing along his fence. I knew this guy who grabbed one of those fruits, tore it open, and ate the insides and spit out the seeds. He said you can eat it , told me to try some and I did.

After finding out I could eat them, I always ate those fruits when I saw them. I never got sick or anything so I assumed he was right.

Don't know the name of it or anything, tho.
    Thanks for the input, could ya head over to the introduction section herehttp://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    and this will help you toohttp://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Of course he meant to say "That doesn't mean that it's okay for you to go eating it without proper identification"!

I've been digging for this one since you put it up and for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. If you find any with flowers on them, that would be a tremendous help.
    There are several morning glory vines (Convolvulaceae; ivyleaf to be more specific) with similar leaves, a few cucumber vines (Cucurbitaceae) with similar leaves, and canada moonseed (Menispermaceae), but none matched exactly.

does it have thorns at the petiole base? I'm leaning toward some type of currant (Ribes spp.)
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Ok, those pictures are much better. Especially after you have isolated the fruit and leave from background plants.

Ibervillea lindheimeri
    Lindheimer's globeberry, Balsam gourd, Globe berry, Snake apple

http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/sp...?id_plant=IBLI

I haven't read the entire page and can't tell you about edibility. There are more pictures and information that will help confirming this as a possibility for identification.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

This website shows the where it is native in the US (TX is on the map).
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

Got that off of Karl's post.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Thanks Karl, I do beleive that is it, I read the info from the link, and what im getting its ornamental.

If it is globeberry, I just read about it last night in Food Plants of the Sonoran Desert, and it's edible.