Thread: Survival kit challenge month

Default Survival kit challenge month

This "challenge" is a chance to try out your skills with your kit. You can use as much or little of a kit that you want. The duration is for as short or long as you want.

The minimum requirements: Identify two different edible wild plants. Make a trap or snare (dismantle when finished). Start a fire without a match or lighter.

Any bushcraft items can be used for subsequent challenges.

Please post pictures and/or descriptions of your experience.

Good idea Rebel. Not sure if my hiking days will return this month, but I like the idea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks Crash. Sorry hear about your disability.

My hope is, with a little practice and experience we can develop some confident survivalist.

I hope no one worries about failure in these challenges. Such as starting a fire without matches or a lighter. Someone may be able to offer a good suggestion. We are here to both learn and teach.

So....is there a consolation prize if we don't survive?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yes. I'll come and visit you for a week.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There will be plenty of matches, lighters and fire - lots of fire waiting for you at your final destination.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh well that's good because I.....hey....wait a minute.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hehe. So silly. I'll try this!
    "Tread lightly and carry a big stick."-Ben Franklin

I'll go for this, some time this fall. Seriously, if I was any busier there'd have to be two of me, so....not getting out much this summer.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Banned

As I walk up to where I will set up I see dandelion greens young and not yet send up flower stems. I pick some. I then see some wild sorrel and pick some of that. Make a salad with the wild greens, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a small plastic pouch I pocketed at a restaurant. Fire started in under ten seconds with one of my tinder cups, a ferro rod and the awl on my SAK Farmer model. Fire was in my pocket cooker, water boiling in under 6 minutes. Stout cup of tea then used emergency fishing kit with a grub dug out of a rotting log on the lake shore. Caught a legal sized crappie in under 1 minute, and another 3 minutes later. Scaled, and filleted and cooked over coals in the pocket cooker on wire mesh. Half hour and bush breakfast done. Set a trot line to catch more fish (not baited as it was just to fulfill challenge requirements, pulled it back out 5 minutes later.) This all done within 100 yards of my backdoor. Not actually my backyard but close.
    Last edited by hoosierarcher; 06-02-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    As I walk up to where I will set up I see dandelion greens young and not yet send up flower stems. I pick some. I then see some wild sorrel and pick some of that. Make a salad with the wild greens, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a small plastic pouch I pocketed at a restaurant. Fire started in under ten seconds with one of my tinder cups, a ferro rod and the awl on my SAK Farmer model. Fire was in my pocket cooker, water boiling in under 6 minutes. Stout cup of tea then used emergency fishing kit with a grub dug out of a rotting log on the lake shore. Caught a legal sized crappie in under 1 minute, and another 3 minutes later. Scaled, and filleted and cooked over coals in the pocket cooker on wire mesh. Half hour and bush breakfast done. Set a trot line to catch more fish (not baited as it was just to fulfill challenge requirements, pulled it back out 5 minutes later.) This all done within 100 yards of my backdoor. Not actually my backyard but close.
    Excellent Hoosierarcher! You are a survivor.

Banned

Today from a cold start I took my longbow & put an arrow through the head of a squirrel(target/paper) at 20 yards. Then another arrow into the heart/lung area of a rabbit(target/paper) at the same distance then a third arrow between the eyes of a raccoon(target/paper) at a slightly longer distance. Three arrows, three kills, 30 seconds. I doubt I could see that many real critters that close together in time or place but having the skill to put an arrow where it needs to go gives one a warm and cozy feeling deep inside.

Blog Entries

Cool Matchless fire-starting exercise.

I've started a fire before using the Magnesium block, but had never used my "Strike-Force" flint & Steel firestarter(http://www.wisementrading.com/firestarters/flint.htm) as I felt that I would just keep it in reserve if I ever needed it. So yesterday I took it outside, along with some "dryer lint" & tested it; here's the results:

EXERCISE: fire-starting using only the Strike-Force Flint & Steel with some un-prepped dryer lint.

WEATHER CONDITIONS: Sunny & dry. No fuel used as the idea here was to simply set the lint on fire. If I can do that I will have a fire.

GROUND CONDITIONS: Moist from all of the rain we've been having.

PROGRESS REPORT: I quickly discovered that you have to hit the flint very hard with about 5 or 6 rapid strokes to create a shower of sparks. However. once this was done the lint flared right up.

SUMMARY: Success with minimal effort. I like this tool & will replace my mag. block with it immediately! The Mag block is now my "back-up!"

Hope this helps some of you!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

dandelion and cattail

twitch-up snare

Fire-steel with lint.

later...
    Last edited by rebel; 06-20-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

"The minimum requirements: Identify two different edible wild plants." Id'd 2 plants of wild berries & even consumed them! Mulberries & Wild Rasberries; yum!

"Make a trap or snare (dismantle when finished)." Made a "box trap" & caught a mother cat with her 5 kittens. The kittens would hardly make a mouthful but "mom" was fat enough!

"Start a fire without a match or lighter." See the above post on "matchless fire-starting...I merged it with this thread."

That's it for me!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Nice going Sarge.

Has anyone named the cats?

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Nice going Sarge.

Has anyone named the cats?
    The mother is feral & won't come close at all. The kittens are getting use to me as they rotate from hiding under our house to under a large hedge right near-by. They're young enough to catch & I'm trying to get them used to me by feeding them tuna & such...we'll see.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I'll just add the wild edibles I have in my yard:
    - Sheep sorrel (not a real oxalis, but edible, and it tastes lemony)
    - Wood sorrel (i.e. oxalis, do not eat if you have a history of oxalic acid kidney stones)
    - Mulberry (so many berries it makes a big mess)
    - Onions
    - Chives

I spotted some blackberries today. MMmmm!