Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Papers

Default Personal Papers

I remember learning this when Katrina hit. That you should put all your personal papers in a plastic bag. That way they are more proteced from certain elements. I had never thought of doing this before.

Putting it in a plastic bag is a good start. If you know you're going to be around your house, you might also consider putting them in the freezer. I know this sounds silly, but putting them in the freezer will protect them from burning, since the freezer is insulated.

Having a fire resistant document safe would be the best option. They are not too expensive.

I guess if I were just going to put them in a plastic bag, it would be one of those that you can vacuum the air out. They seem like they'd protect them better than a regular zip top bag.

I never would have thought of the freezer. But that would be a great idea actually. Learn something new everyday.

I guess I just have been using an old box for everything, and they pretty much keep ok in there.

Actually, I've heard that putting things in the freezer in a bag is a great way to store things, anyhow, if you don't have a fireproof safe. I don't know that I'd just want an old box, particularly if it's just a cardboard box. They would easily deteriorate if they got wet and stayed that way for a while, like in a flood.

We bought a kryovac machine recently ...mostly for meat we smoke, but I think I'll vac pac all our important documents ....can't hurt, right?

We use a safe for our important papers--and for cash. I'm pretty sure it is fireproof.

I keep mine in a file safe. It's organized and safe around 40 dollars not a bad investment.

I have kept mine in a plastic bag only. You never know when you are stuck with a horrible weather.

Mine are in zipper bags in a firesafe. However, I'm going to get a bigger firesafe and seal some of the less used papers in vacuum bags from my food saver.

I'm actually going to try using it on some of the things in my emergency kit as well. This little machine was probably the best 40 bucks I ever spent. LOL

i put all my money / papers in a gun safe i bought at a discount, its big enough for me to fit in it (about 4x4 feet space on the inside) and its water/fire/theft proof so no worries whatsoever , if you can get one for cheep i highly recomend it (the full steel ones that look like bank safes not the ones with glass windows)

Default I may need to get papered

I don't have a heck of a lot of personal papers that matter to me except old family tree and old photos and stuff, but if you're looking at important family business paper...deeds, insurance etc. I think I'd keep the originals in a bank safe deposit box and keep photocopies at home in a file safe for reference. Unless, you know, the world is collapsing and you can't trust the banks anymore, of course if that happens the papers probably won't matter, nevertheless. If you want to hide quantities of cash, roll it up and stuff it in a stainless steel thermos bottle and bury it, someplace close by. Make a map if youre really goofy about that kind of thing.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

If I lose my personal papers Can I disappear and live off the grid
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Here is a list of documents that should be accessible so they can be carried on you in an emergency and a list of documents that should be housed either in a safe deposit box of fire rated home safe.

Documents That Must Be Carried..............Documents Protected In Secure Environment
    Immunization records (copies)..................Adoption/custody papers
    Certified birth certificates........................Social security card (original)
    List of allergies by individual.....................Birth certificates (original)
    List of medical history by individual............Marriage license (original)
    School records (copies)...........................Death certificates (original)
    Transcripts (copies)...............................Citizenship papers (original)
    Military/DOD (original if active duty)...........Immunization records (originals)
    Power of Attorney for Health Care (copy)....Bank account info. (originals)
    Living Will (copy)....................................Copies of front and back of credit cards
    List of physicians and contact information...Diplomas (originals)
    List of investment acc. # & contact info.....Transcripts (originals)
    Retirement acc. # & contact info...............School records (originals)
    Social Security card (copy).......................Divorce/separation & settlement (originals)
    List of advisors:account.,attor.,fin., etc......Insurance Policies (originals)
    Two forms of picture ID............................Military papers (orig. if retired/prior service)
    Recent photos of each family member.........Military/DOD (copies if active duty)
    Front and back of credit cards not carried....Passports (original)
    Bank account information (copies)..............Power of Attorney for Health Care (original)
    Ins. policy # and contact information..........Living Will (original)
    Professional licenses (original)....................Property deeds, titles, mort. docs (orig)
    Medicare cards.......................................Will (original)
    Inventory of safety deposit box contents....Stock, bond, securities certificates (original)
    Citizenship papers (copy).........................Previous years tax returns (copies)
    Attorney-in-fact (copy)...........................Attorney-in-fact document (original)
    Professional licenses (copies)....................Copyrights and patents (originals)
    .................................................. .........Motor vehicle/boat titles (original)
    Last edited by Rick; 12-26-2007 at 06:18 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We keep our papers in a fire box. It's really not big enough, but it is portable.
    If we had something bigger, I'm sure it would still not be big enough.

Blog Entries

Rick, your wallet is how big
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Actually, I have a Harley chain from my belt to my BOB. I'm thinking of putting rollers on it. It's getting to be a drag pulling it around (get it? drag. What a hoot).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Yeah, anyway 1970 called asked for its wallet back... lol... jk