Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matches vs Lighters what & WHY do you prefer the method?

Default Matches vs Lighters what & WHY do you prefer the method?

Lets just get this out in the open... Everyone has an opinion. I would like to know why some folk prefer matches over the modern lighter... and why some still prefer the flint, steel, & carbon patch.

I have been "playing" with flint & steel, making patches over the last few weeks. Even having a little fun with a pocket magnifying glass. Ok I am not impressed. The cotton patches I made after much reading can catch a spark and smolder well. I can light them on a bright day and they smolder. Ok they suck compared to a micro light bic. I even took the carbon patches and added a little vaseline like a cotton ball and vaseline.

For those that dont know me... I keep thinking the Pioneers of 200 years ago like "George Washington" were incredibly gifted or the Gomer Pyle of survival.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I like them all. When hiking, my fire kit contains them all. Matches get wet (yes, mine have been water proofed), lighters run out of fuel, sometimes you need fire when it's cloudy, or at night, ferrocium rods will always make a spark, char cloth is great, so are other man made and natural tinders. I like options.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I like them all. When hiking, my fire kit contains them all. Matches get wet (yes, mine have been water proofed), lighters run out of fuel, sometimes you need fire when it's cloudy, or at night, ferrocium rods will always make a spark, char cloth is great, so are other man made and natural tinders. I like options.
    I agree, I also carry a lot of options, but am working on mastering making fire with nothing purchased, or carried, as my goal.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes, options are the key. Along with knowledge and practice.

I used to have a lighter 24/7, then quit smoking. I keep multiple lighters in the vehicles, but not on me any longer.

I do keep a small ferro rod in my keychain med container (nitro opills for the ticker) and I have a mag bar in each vehicle along with the lighters and book matches in zip locks in the packs that stay in the vehicle. I actually look at the book matches as barter/good samaritin items to be left as good will to people not as fortunate as ourselves.

There is also a small magnifier on the keychain, combined with a compass/thermometer.

Flint and steel is a learned skill like any other. Some use charcloth, some use other substances. Knowing the basis for spark based fire is simply another option. You can get sparks from a lot of places and knowing what will catch them and smolder is part of the skill set.

So is the firebow/fireplow/spindle, and knowing how to make them on the spot.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't really think of any reason matches would be better than a lighter. I carry a bic and a ferro rod every day just like my pocketknife. Knowledge is really the key and knowing how to make a single spark turn into a bonfire is a skill in itself. How you get that spark really makes no difference in the grand scheme.
    I prefer a bic because even if it runs out of fuel, it'll still throw sparks and I know lots of things that will make a flame with a little spark. A match is pretty much a one shot deal. Multiple methods helps ensure you'll have your bases covered no matter the situation.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I keep options as most folks do. I don't smoke but Bic lighters have been my favorite. Never fail, cheap and easy to pack or carry. A rod or matches are backups only.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Well lighters require fuel, Then again if you carying matches if the striking pad gets we then your screwed unless your carying strike anywhere matches but if those get wet then your still screwed. Personaly i would perfer matches, but dont ask me why lol.
    Stealth And Skill Can Kill.

With matches and lighters you can get away with less preparation on the smaller level, which is important if you are cold and wet and miserable.

Well a match is one light, a bic is a thousand lights - provided it too isn't wet.

A good skill is too learn to remove the child proof clasp.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Blog Entries

Bic is the way to go. I have a few matches as a back-up, for use after the 5 bics I carry are used up.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I have a few options when I am out and about. If I have my fire kit with me I have three ways to start a fire; firesteel, bic lighter, and storm proof matches.

For EDC I carry a mini bic and yes my firesteel as well.... I like to have different options.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by WOO
    I keep thinking the Pioneers of 200 years ago like "George Washington" were incredibly gifted
    Nothing gifted about them. That's all they had so they used it. They would probably be in awe if they could see what we have today.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

"Real men" use Highway FLARES and gasoline. "Real Women" just give ya that look, and the fire starts.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 05-31-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Banned

This is pretty cool ! waterproof lighter, > http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-...ter-storm.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    This is pretty cool ! waterproof lighter, > http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-...ter-storm.html
    It's waterproof until you remove the screw cap. After that, all bets are off.

Back in the day when I smoked and was always on a boat, I had a windproof lighter - a freebie from the cigarette company. Thing worked really well so long as it was dry, which wasn't very often.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

You were Blackbeard?! He was back in the day, smoked and was always on a boat.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well a match is one light, a bic is a thousand lights - provided it too isn't wet.

i washed my bic about 6 times and it still works
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you brought it up...

I'm with those who like options. Water-proof matches/lighter are my back-up. It it's good enough for the Boy Scouts.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

I use the flat Scripto-like lighters you get in a three-pack: After disabling the child-proof thing and the flame adjuster
    they make a heck of a flame. Plus they are see-thru so you know how much fuel is left.
    I also carry waterproofed strike-anywhere matches, magnesium sticks and ferro rods.

But there is that wet and cold thingy along with the, "Heck, I ain't scared no more with this fire," thingie.