Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man cave, Man room ??????

i reckon everybodys idea of a man cave is a little different. some fellas might see a basement with a pool table and a wet bar as their man cave. some guys use a garage with a card table and such for theirs. for me though i like a cabin in the woods. my wife and kids don't come back there very often.

Hey Hunter,

nice cabin and nice view.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The kids lovingly named my "area" the "Chop Shop". Everyone likes to go in there and look and touch all my skins and furs and arrowheads, and bone items, and...
    It's just a room in the garage where I keep my tools for work. Not really a "man-cave" but it serves me well.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    How do I get one of them Man-whatevers?
    There is a process involved, Much like the recovery programs.

Step 1. Admit that you are helpless in your own home, have lost control furnature placement and style.

Step 2. Admit that there is a higher power, and you are married to her.

Step 3. Accept the fact that in the main part of the house you are not allowed to wear shoes, smoke or swear.

Step 4. Find a small portion of unusable space and declare it your own. Hide the existance of this space under some term that will cause repulsion of the female psyche, hopefully resulting in the avoidance of "your space".

Step 5. Reject any color scheme in claimed area and eliminate any color bearing the name of "dusty rose", "country blue" or ending in the word "pastel", or even the half empty cans of such paint.

Step 6. Never admit the real object of the "Man cave". Once the object of seperation of male/female zones is recognized the man cave will be needed for some "family use" that costs several thousand dollars and eliminates the existance of the "man cave".

We will end this program with only 6 steps since the women in our lives will confirm that we are only "half there" anyway.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Default Now wait a cottonpickinminute!

I only WISH I had a cave, man or otherwise.
    For all of y'all who are lucky enough to have a garage, shed, workshop or a basement to do your man thang...guess what? I'd trade the rest of the house for just one little room to be mine. ALL mine.
    This whole notion of women hijacking the house for their own little decorating schemes is bogus. Ask any of them and they'll tell you: give me one room as my personal retreat and YOU take over the rest. Clean, maintain and entertain. I'll act as a guest and slink off when the real guests leave. In fact, I'd like to be a guest in my own house. You pick the wall color and I'll watch Dr. Phil in the garage. How's that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I only WISH I had a cave, man or otherwise.
    For all of y'all who are lucky enough to have a garage, shed, workshop or a basement to do your man thang...guess what? I'd trade the rest of the house for just one little room to be mine. ALL mine.
    This whole notion of women hijacking the house for their own little decorating schemes is bogus. Ask any of them and they'll tell you: give me one room as my personal retreat and YOU take over the rest. Clean, maintain and entertain. I'll act as a guest and slink off when the real guests leave. In fact, I'd like to be a guest in my own house. You pick the wall color and I'll watch Dr. Phil in the garage. How's that?
    Right with you on this one too, Bee!
    Even though Winnie jnr comes and goes, it's funny how I seem to lose "my space" when he's here!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Default I'm on to you, kyratshooter!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    There is a process involved, Much like the recovery programs.

Step 1. Admit that you are helpless in your own home, have lost control furnature placement and style.
    Very convenient.

Step 2. Admit that there is a higher power, and you are married to her.
    Takes the pressure off.

Step 3. Accept the fact that in the main part of the house you are not allowed to wear shoes, smoke or swear.
    Small price to pay, and you know it too.

Step 4. Find a small portion of unusable space and declare it your own. Hide the existance of this space under some term that will cause repulsion of the female psyche, hopefully resulting in the avoidance of "your space".
    You'll make up for it later.

Step 5. Reject any color scheme in claimed area and eliminate any color bearing the name of "dusty rose", "country blue" or ending in the word "pastel", or even the half empty cans of such paint.
    Token resistance, right on!

Step 6. Never admit the real object of the "Man cave". Once the object of seperation of male/female zones is recognized the man cave will be needed for some "family use" that costs several thousand dollars and eliminates the existance of the "man cave".
    And you're the first one to fold like a cheap lawn chair.

We will end this program with only 6 steps since the women in our lives will confirm that we are only "half there" anyway.
    You wouldn't have it any other way.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I built a bit of a man cave myself. But I call it a man shack. It's an old shed, around 15x20. It's got shelves, a fully functional coke machine (not full of coke ) a wood stove, a couch, a recliner, a few stackable chairs, an ihome, and hopefully soon... satelite tv. It's nice in there. I even put in astro-turf so I can remove my shoes if I wish. It's AWESOME!

Hunter - There is only one official definition for ANY room to be a man cave...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hunter - There is only one official definition for ANY room to be a man cave...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ZwrVElW8Q

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The wife used to tell the tale of mom visiting relitives and leaving Dad with the three girls for a weekend.

The incident in question involved Dad trying to bring beer from the man-cave beer fridge into the upstairs portion of the house.

The girls found the beer in the upstairs fridge and returned it to its proper downstairs home. Dad went down to fetch it back and encountered his three girls, ages 4,6,and 8 blocking the top of the stairs with threats of calling Mom if he tried to put beer in the upstairs fridge again.

Yep, he caved!

I'm rooting for ya, we're all in this together.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Workshop is about 100yds from the house. I find if I put on ear protectors, turn on a piece of equipment, unplug the phone I am good for a long time especially if it happens to be cold or raining. Naps are necessary to recharge.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Default Here's a "Group" man cave

Funny Aussie beer commercial:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE9tk7h5Tjk

I guess this idea is kinda timeless, just a name thing..........
    Garage beers vs house beers...........story.

At age 18 I had my first "real job" working for a small city.
    Was out of high school, paying room and board.

Middle of July laying asphalt, hot, sweaty, long day.
    Came home, opened the fridge, looking for something cold.
    There in front of my eyes was a 6 pack of my favorite beer! All cold and good looking.

I asked my mother, what was up, and she says,"Well, as you are a man now, with a job, helping out with the bills, I thought I would get you a 6 pack, as I do for your father".

Say no more, pulled the top on the first and second and dumped them down.......slowed down on the third, and took off to clean up.

Father came home from work, then ask me to follow him out to the garage for a minute, had something to show me.(his way of "discussing stuff").

With out saying a word he pulled the old red wagon from in front of a fridge, in the garage. Freezer on the top, fridge on the bottom, (we had been led to believe that the fridge didn't work).
    There was his 2-3 cases of beer.

He says, "Son, these are garage beers, the ones in the house are "house beers"......got to last you 2 weeks, till next payday.

Then it dawned on me, we would say, "Honey, need to cut the grass".........head out and have a beer while "sharpening up the blade".......stop for a sharpen job about half way thru.... and so on.

When he got done, he would head into the house and say, "Well, I'm done, guess I'll have a beer"......And my mother would just beam at her, hard working, one beer, husband............

Used to keep my garage beers in there as well........kinda a guy thing, still do.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That's a sweet story hunter.

Banned

Yes, Great story

Great Hunter, just great. Now the secret is out!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'll bet Mom knew about the garage stash and just let it go.

Good story. Sadly, no garage here. Got a little fridge in the workshop though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My shed is all work, stuffed with tools and bikes. But, I do get to decorate the guest room. Basically, anything my wife wouldn't let me put up in the living room. I have all my books on a huge book shelf, plus lots of odd little things that I keep around. I hung my army dress uniform along with my boys scout uniform on one wall, with the American flag I got for getting my Eagle Scout. I also put up a bunch of patriotic pictures from my grandmother. I have my bullet casing collection on one shelf. My gun case is in their, and it used to have guns but they were all stolen . Anytime someone visits and stays in the room, the wife is quick to point out that she did NOT decorate the room.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMe
    plus lots of odd little things that I keep around.
    My wife keeps odd things, too. I've been around for a long time.