Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BP Oil

Blog Entries

Default BP Oil

Well i hate to say this but it looks like the gulf will soon be dead.
    I checked on the BP rov camera and while i was watching the the darn thing completly blew out. http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8238/oilboom.gif
    Thats a shortened clip of what happened and it continues on. If this is the new flow rate and i lived anywhere this, i would move. This is so bad i dont have words. So many anamals will die for no reason, it's makes me sick and sad.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

I don't know what the true tally is. I heard 6 million gallons for far. The Exon Valdez was nearly double that. And now BP has another problem on their hands. They had a huge spill on the Alaskan Pipeline today and they've had to drastically reduce output on the pipeline. When it rains it flows.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...atestheadlines
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The guy directing the hole being plugged has quite a reputation. Lets hope he is right!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37321309...ew_york_times/
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

A local radio talk show had a lot of our local spill responce team professionals calling in which was very enlightening. News being reported has not been following protocal. They discussed how accessments of damage and containment are determined and that initial decisions are made within 24 hours to bring in all affected parties to establish a joint responce. The Feds continue to drop the ball and preventing locals from helping too. Everybody with a boat responded to Exxon spill. Why are the fishermen sitting on thier hands? It is time somebody starts looking at worst case senario and release the volume numbers of oil in that field. It is a known number or they never will have drilled and maybe then they will take this serious and pour needed resources on this.

Banned

Breaking on CNN, the Top Kill Failed , Plan B, is to build a special "Cap" for the well, I dont think they can stop this. Man I feel so Bad for the people that live in that region, This is soo Terrible,

Eventually it will affect a lot more than just that region. They are getting hit first and the hardest.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

TODAY: EPA Administrator Returns to Gulf Region to Oversee Ongoing Response to the BP Spill

CEQ Chair Nancy Sutley joins Administrator

WASHINGTON - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa P. Jackson, joined by Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley, is back in the Gulf Coast today to monitor EPA’s on-the-ground response to the BP oil spill and speak with residents about efforts to mitigate the spill's impact on the region.

This marks Administrator Jackson’s third visit to the gulf region since the oil spill began. During the trip, the Administrator and Chair Sutley will visit the command center in Robert, La and will also travel to Venice and New Orleans. The visit will include a tour on a Trace Atmospheric Gas Analyzer (TAGA), a self-contained mobile laboratory being used by EPA to sample and analyze outdoor air quality in the gulf. Administrator Jackson and Chair Sutley will also tour oil impacted wetlands by boat in Venice.

At 4:15 p.m. CST, the Administrator will hold a press conference in Venice, La.

Administrator Jackson arrived in the Gulf Coast last night, where she attended a briefing at the Unified Command Center and met with BP officials along with U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral Landry.

Banned

5/29/10
    Top Officials to Return to the Gulf Coast

Trips by Top Leaders to Inspect All-Hands-on-Deck Response Total 28

WASHINGTON - At the direction of the President, Department of the Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson and NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco will return to the Gulf region next week as they continue their work, aggressively responding to the BP oil spill.

These officials' actions on scene will be coordinated by National Incident Commander Admiral Thad Allen, who is leading the administration-wide response and directing all interagency activities.

Administrator Jackson will make her fourth trip to the Gulf Coast to inspect coastline protection and cleanup activities and meet with community members to discuss ongoing efforts to mitigate the oil's impacts on public health and the environment. A native of the Gulf region, Administrator Jackson will spend a total of six days on the ground, visiting Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama to review plans for cleanup of oil-impacted wetlands and marshes, analyze scientific monitoring of dispersant use, and ensure that recovery and cleanup plans are proceeding quickly.

Secretary Salazar will make his eighth trip to the area to meet with top BP officials, federal personnel and government scientists in Houston to get a firsthand account of the on-scene direction and oversight of BP's efforts to cap the leaking well. He will also participate in discussions with state, local and business leaders to discuss the ways the administration is supporting their communities during this catastrophe.

Administrator Lubchenco will make her third visit to the affected area to meet with top government and independent scientists and engineers who are working with BP and coordinating efforts across the federal government to ensure the best science is used to assess and mitigate the BP oil spill’s impacts to the environment.

President Obama visited the affected area for the second time yesterday to view the administration's all-hands-on-deck response to this unprecedented disaster. He spoke to the frustration felt by those in the local community and across America and discussed extensively what he saw touring the tragedy this morning. The President also commended those in the area who have “rolled up their sleeves” to help with the clean up, saying that “we’re in this together.”

In total, senior administration officials have visited the region 28 times since BP's oil rig exploded on April 20—including trips by the President, National Incident Commander Admiral Thad Allen, Interior Secretary Salazar, EPA Administrator Jackson, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Energy Secretary Steven Chu, Commerce Secretary Gary Locke, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen, NOAA Administrator Lubchenco and SBA Administrator Karen Mills.

Blog Entries

Ya all the washinton folks are going to do what they do best, TALK and not much more. There in cya mode and trying to make it look like there doing something. New estimates are 18 to 40 million gallons have leaked so far.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Banned

Now I've heard 1 million to 40 million. . . . . . . . This spill is very worrisome. (starts looking at Prius prices)

Quote Originally Posted by HeritageFarm View Post
    Now I've heard 1 million to 40 million. . . . . . . . This spill is very worrisome. (starts looking at Prius prices)
    It takes more oil in the mahufacture and use of a Prius over the expected life of the car than it does for a Hummer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Interesting... Source?

How about walking--you know...one foot in front of the other? The way we might have to do if TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI?
    Here's a chance to practice.
    Worst case, get yourself on a bike. The Chinese and Indians managed to do it all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by HeritageFarm View Post
    Interesting... Source?
    While the report that came out is not without controversy, it should make us think about more than just mpg. http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why wasn't the blasted thing imploded when it first ruptured. I understand that the cost of rigging a new well was too great so they decided to let it leak.. I don't know, it was just discussion among friends. This should have been taken care of in the first 72 hours. If you can't cap it for later, blow it up and forget it. The pollution and the biological impact this will have is far greater than we imagined it could be and it's gone on long enough.
    How do we convince them?...
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Some people have thought about it. http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0504/rus...lf-oil-geyser/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I just translated this from the Provada , It appears that Russia has blown a few closed, but not underwater, Am I reading this right ?

Powerful nuclear "plugs" - sometimes 3 Hiroshima - we have enjoyed until 1979. And only once failed. In 1972 in Kharkov region failed to block the emergency gas blowout. The explosion was mysteriously left on the surface, forming a mushroom cloud. Although the charge was minimal - just a 4 kiloton. And laid deep - for more than two kilometers.

Total probability of failure in the Gulf of Mexico - 20 percent. Americans could take a chance. The chance of dying during the flight to the moon they were even higher.
    Of course, we used a civilian nuclear program on the ground, the Americans as to the sea - under water where the ocean depth reaches 1500 meters.

But in principle there is no difference - you still need to drill a well at a distance from leaking. And it lowered the bomb. As in the movie "Armageddon" with Bruce Willis in the role of a driller. It is desirable that the calculations were done correctly. Such hope is: the U.S. is full of smart scientists and powerful computers. And Russia could have contributed. We still live peaceful nuclear demolition.
    http://www.kp.ru/daily/24482/640124/

I think the article is a crock.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    While the report that came out is not without controversy, it should make us think about more than just mpg. http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/
    Hmmmm... Interesting. But after the Prius is made, it's impact is much less. While the Hummer might take less to make, it's impact is much more. This may just be a slam against Toyota Prius. But I'll look into it more.

It's the price we pay for living the good life.

So many meetings, talk shows, articles and such. At least we know how to talk about doing something.

I'm sure in 10 or 20 years when all the fish and chain of life in the ocean "again" begins dying off we'll be blaming it on el nina or changing trade winds, etc.
    LOL!

Hell, for all we know it'll still be leaking in 10 years.

Pretty Sad!