Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62x39 options

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Ruger also offers a Stainless carbine size bolt action in 7.62X39.
    I guess I still have to question spending the money on Ruger bolt gun in 7.62 X 39 when there are so many more calibers available...........

Now if you already own an AK, SKS, I guess I could concede wanting a bolt gun as an addition, redundant caliber, or you already have all the other calibers, have access to unlimited supply of ammo, or just want a new gun?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Clem, thats a sweet looking machine, but for that price one could get 3 Saigas and 4000 rds.of ammo. I would ship it directly to Q.C. ( Crash/Ken) for an eval. P.M. me for my ...I mean their address.

Sourdough, don't know why the Mini-30 is so hard to find around here. There are Mini-14s everywhere. You would think with the .30cal. ammo being cheaper there would be more of them around.

Hunter, the bolt gun would be just for kicks (but aren't most of them). I'am really liking the CZ 527. It has the same size bore as the military semis. Some of the bolt guns have a .308 bore, others .311.

I am leaning towards the Saiga today. Anyone have personal experience with one?
    Last edited by chiggersngrits; 05-31-2010 at 09:22 PM.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

I a lot bigger fan of the .308, as they have truely made it into a sporting round as well as military, I concure with your opinion.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    I am considering getting a Galil in 7.62x39 myself. Uses AK mags and AK ammo, and is much more accurate than the AK.

http://elitefirearms.net/galil.html

http://www.gunblast.com/LT_Elite-Galil.htm

I wonder how much more accurate you can make the 7.62 X 39?

I'm not a fan of ANY of the modern military cartridges. Cartridges have sacrificed to much lethality to accomidate mechanical advancements in weapons. I like the classic military cartridges like 7x57 Mauser that C. W. Bell used to kill over a thousand Elephants or the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser and the 30.06 that have proven themselves far beyond the battlefield. The only cartridge that maintained its better qualities and modified the weapons to accomidate the cartridge is the Russian 7.62x54. Those weapons have an extra mechanism that allows cartridges to be chambered individually being able to keep rimmed case. Tapered cases burn powder better too. This cartridge has never reached its full potential do to weak actions and .310 groove depths. The military has many more factors to consider than just creating the best weapon they can, especially for the individual.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

7.62 rimmed gave the Russian designers fits due to the rim and heavy taper. It complicates the design features to an unacceptable degree and it was the mid '50s before they overcame the problems enough to make a true simiauto issue rifle in the full caliber cartridge.

We had done that in the late '30s. The Germans were well on their way as were the Danes and FN.

The Russian accuracy problems have always been due to variations in bore size due to unskilled labor, poor QC, using reamers and broaches too long and mad dash production needs. If the bore was always .310 it would be no problem. I have micked them all the way out to .325 after seeing keyholes at 25 yds. A .308 rattled down that bore like a golf ball down a sewer pipe!

Not that they are all bad. Sometimes one gets lucky.

The Enfield suffers from the same problems, but the design was superior to the MN, and the U. S. gis were familiar with them due to association with the Brits, so they fared better on the surplus market.

The cheap guns and cheap ammo in 7.63x39 has been its redeaming quality, and that is nearly dried up in both regards.

Something about picking up an old mauser in any of its caliber offerings. You can look down the bore and know that if the rifling is good it will shoot where it looks. It will be powerful enough to do the intended job. And no one is going to look at you strangely whern you take it out of the guncase.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

To get an idea of how accurate the Russian cartridge is the Finnish M-38 is the rifle to shoot, many of which were made by SAKO. War time production runs often sacriced quality which is why the Arisaka is known for have the strongest and weakest action depending on when it was manufactured. It also contributes the unmatched quality of the Swedish Mauser that never fought in battle. BTW I'm not expressing opinion. Back in those days countries held matches using the host countries weapons and a matter of record and the Swedish Mauser was by far the most accurate. The Russian cartridge won the 1936 Olympics if I remember correctly and the Finns proved it on the battlefield and had a sniper with over 500 kills using open sights. No one has come close to breaking his record. P.O. Ackley tested actions to the point of blowing them up. My own experience confirms what I have read with the most accurate being the Swedish Mauser followed closely by the Finnish M-38. Rear lockin lugs of the Enfield makes then the fastest action but accuracy suffers because of it and they have seen so much action as has the Mosin Nagant to find them in good condition. Turkish Mausers have a good reputation but have not seen the advantage over German Mausers. The market does dry up and I have been stuck with a few like the French Mas in 7.5. The best ones will survive if they can prove themselves as hunting rounds like the 30.06.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Many years ago I read that the SOP for Russian Field armorers was to never repair a Mosin. If disabled they were to be sent back to one of the production sites where the barrels were removed, cut into three pieces, and turned down on lathes to produce three Ppsh submachine guns. The barrel was the most difficult part to produce and except for barrel and bolt the entire gun was sheet metal stampings.

They equipped entire batallions with nothing but the Ppsh. Except for their snipers, accuracy secondary to putting something that would shoot into the hands of about a zillion soldiers.

I am sure the snipers got to hand pick their Mosins.

When the SVD came out in the '60s there was a $1,000,000 reward for the first unit turned over to the CIA. I think it was finally collected by some Afgan in the mid '80s. They were amazed that the gun was not any better than it was. 3MOA was standard with service ammo. The spooks had expected a super-rifle and found that anything we had issued in the past 100 years would outshoot it.

I must admit that I hold little regard for the "half-a-cartridge rifles" now the standard.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks for all your responses. Gonna have to think on it for awhile. I read that some of the problems with the AR in 7.62x39 have been fixed with redesigned firingpin and boltface. The prob was mostly with steel cased ammo.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.