Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One pot meals

Default One pot meals

I was finishing putting the final seasoning in my new green beans, diced potatoes and ham chunks and my old memory was jolted.

In 1978 I had moved from Missouri to the Las Vegas area and had become friends with a couple of families from California.

I grew up with a lot of one pot meals, Ham & Navy beans, Beef stew topped with biscuits, pot roast with taters and carrots Etc. Nothing fancy but you got all you wanted to eat.

I had just cooked up a large pot of Ham & Navy beans with cornbread and invited my new friends over for dinner. As we sat down for dinner, one of the men remarked that he had never had a dinner where there was just ham and beans to eat. Several other members of the group also echoed the same remarks.

I just smiled and told them to enjoy a southern style family dinner. I served them ham & Navy beans, chopped onions on the side, fresh made cornbread, real butter, homemade jam, honey and their choice of beverage.

I am sure that none of them went away hungry, but later when I would invite them over for dinner they always asked what I was fixing.

I guess them California folks eat different.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I grew up with a lot of one pot meals, Ham & Navy beans, Beef stew topped with biscuits, pot roast with taters and carrots Etc. Nothing fancy but you got all you wanted to eat.
    Same when I was growing up, Beans. Still the same now.

One of my favorites is a New England Boiled dinner. Smoked Shoulder, cabbage, onions, carrots, and potatos. Of course, some of us add chourico to spice it up a bit.

Mom would fry up thin steaks with potatos and onions in a tomato gravy - that's gravy, not sauce. Great one-pot meal. Then there was spaghetti & meatballs with some veggies tossed in. lots of others like Beef Stew and Spare Rib Stew.

One of my best and favorite one-pot recipies today is my paelle.

You said California, right? I don't think we're unique on this one.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/one-pot-m...age/index.html

http://www.eartheasy.com/eat_one_pot_meals.htm

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgu.../winteronedish

http://www.gloriouspotmeal.com/recipes/index.htm
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Same when I was growing up, Beans. Still the same now.

One of my favorites is a New England Boiled dinner. Smoked Shoulder, cabbage, onions, carrots, and potatos. Of course, some of us add chourico to spice it up a bit.
    I nearly posted the New England boiled dinner but thought I would let a real New Englander do it! I didnt have to wait long! My other favorite up here is the baked beans (on Saturday nights if you are a real traditionalist). They dont get made often in my house but it is another one pot meal that is a staple up here.

I haven't had New England Boild dinner in quite some time. The Sourthern version of it is a seafood variation called Low Country Boil http://www.coastalliving.com/food/en...0400000001984/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Mmm, paelle, I have had it in Spain , Puerto Rico, Ecuador and of course the USA, and can say I never had a bad one, all have a slight local twist, but yummy. My favorite "one pot" meal was always Navy Beans with a big old chunk of ham.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

The English version of ham and navy beans is a bacon hock and pease pudding (not a pudding at all, split yellow peas tied in a cloth and boiled with the ham) Mmmmm
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

LOL. After reading about ham -n- beans with a side of corn bread I had to do a recon of the freezer for ham. I also like a side of mustard greens. Good eats.

Mmmmmmmm.....Ham and navy beans.

For one pot meals, don't forget chicken and dumplin's.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Mmmmmmmm.....Ham and navy beans.

For one pot meals, don't forget chicken and dumplin's.
    Oh, man. Them slick dumplin's can't be beat.
    My pop used to cook up a big pot of fish chowder for the winter holidays. He used white fish, diced potatoes, bacon, onions, butter and a big pile of biscuits on the side.
    It tasted even better after a couple days.

Who knew when I started reading this post that I'd finish reading by writing up a grocery list! We do the beans/ham a bunch in the winter. Bake the cornbread in my grandmother's cast iron skillet. Perhaps I don't need to wait until it cools down, after all!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Blog Entries

Growing up we had a lot of sheppards pie / cassarole. It was both good and cheap. Peas, corn, ground beef covered by mashed potatos.
    My favorite is corned beef brisket will all the veggies.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by huntermj View Post
    Growing up we had a lot of sheppards pie.....
    That's one of the very few meals I won't touch. Everybody I know besides me loves Shepard's Pie. Everybody says that their (or their Mom's) Shepard's Pie is the best. Well, I've tried 'em all. The only thing I had to decide was which one I hated the least. I can't stand that meal, and so, to paraphrase a former President of the United States,

"I do not like Shepard's Pie. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm the Director of Quality Control at the Wilderness Survival Forums, and I'm not going to eat any more Shepard's Pie."
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Banned

That's one of the very few meals I won't touch. Everybody I know besides me loves Shepard's Pie. Everybody says that their (or their Mom's) Shepard's Pie is the best. Well, I've tried 'em all. The only thing I had to decide was which one I hated the least. I can't stand that meal, and so, to paraphrase a former President of the United States,

"I do not like Shepard's Pie. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm the Director of Quality Control at the Wilderness Survival Forums, and I'm not going to eat any more Shepard's Pie."
    This from a guy that likes "Caviar" YUCK !

(Mmmmm shepards Pie,,,,,, GOOD !)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    This from a guy that likes "Caviar" YUCK !

(Mmmmm shepards Pie,,,,,, GOOD !)
    I'm with Ken when it comes to shepard's pie. It seems strange though because I like all the ingredients.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    It seems strange though because I like all the ingredients.
    Me too, Camp.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    I'm with Ken when it comes to shepard's pie. It seems strange though because I like all the ingredients.
    Do you eat one thing at a time from your plate ? maybe that has something to do with it, ?? I Mix everything all up

Blog Entries

Camp, you know how some real fancy restaurants do that nouvelle cuisine thing? They pile up all the food, one ON TOP of the other, instead of spreading it out on the plate? I HATE THAT!!! It reminds me of SHEPPARD'S PIE!!!

Something about a great piece of tenderloin sinking in soggy garlic smashed potatos that are drowning in some kinda' sauce that's buried under soggy onion rings.........

Hell, use a bigger plate and give everything its own place on the plate.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Do you eat one thing at a time from your plate ? maybe that has something to do with it, ?? I Mix everything all up
    Nope. Never ate that way. Take a bite of this, and that, and that, and this again. It's just that I don't like eating something that looks like hash at every meal.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I eat one fork load at a time. No, I dont think that is it. I like soups and chowders and sandwiches and all kinds of other concoctions. Just not shepard's pie

Banned

Nope. Never ate that way. Take a bite of this, and that, and that, and this again. It's just that I don't like eating something that looks like hash at every meal.
    You would die in Jail ! LOL,, I beat up a meter reader once and got thrown in the Can,,, I asked one of the guys the first day what they gave us for lunch, he said "Mystery Meat:,, I thought to myself, It cant be THAT bad,, boy was I wrong ! I really could not tell what kind of meat was on that sandwich,,, but it was spicy ??? LOL