Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do TODAY to be healthier?

Default What did you do TODAY to be healthier?

In honor of Crash and all those who've taken that first step or are further along on their journey, tell us what you've done. Big or small, doesn't matter, it all adds up. And if you're not quite there yet and need a little motivation, there's no better place than right here with all your friends cheering you on.

Blog Entries

Three weeks ago i went to see my doc about my blood pressure, 144 over 92.
    He put me on an ace blocker and told me to not have more the 1.5 grams of salt a day. its been tough to change my diet like that but its better then being dead. Today i stoped to have it checked and it was 124 over 71.
    So i cant go out to eat anymore or have any prepared foods, no canned no packeged no, well mostly a lot of no's there. thats ok, i can cook pretty good.
    Im just glad the BP came down. My father had a stroke 4 years ago and never really recoverd. Thats not the life for me.
    On a side note it turns out that pretty much all unhealthy foods have a lot of salt so ive lost about 7 pounds.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

I played basketball for 2 1/2 hours with a bunch of 20 year old kids. That is some serious exercise.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Well.....I just started this a couple of days ago. My wife bought a Wii last year so I'm using that blasted thing to start working out. Don't laugh too hard, I work up a sweat with it. Besides, it won't stop raining.

I do three balance games (Hey, I'm gettin' old)
    2 dance step games (works on rhythm)
    2 games of hula hoops
    3 sets of tennis
    1 short run (2 minutes)
    1 round of boxing

If the weather permits I ride a bike.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It always amazes me to find out how many other benefits happen (huntermj's case) when one decides to just work on the heart.

I went for another bike ride, today. Where I like to ride, there is a bike path that is about 3 miles. I ride down and back, for a 6 mile ride. I've been trying to do this at least twice a week. (The rain hasn't been helping.) The first time that I rode that 6 miles, I didn't think I'd make it back to my truck. Today, when I got back to my truck, at the end of that 6 miles ride, I realized that I wasn't winded. I guess it's time to step up the pace, or the length, of my rides.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    2 games of hula hoops
    I'll Bet thats a sight to see

....Oh, Oh, Oh.......and one day last week, I had a salad, for lunch!
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Banned

I took B complex and drank orange juice and had them leave the mayo off my roast beef sammich(which I know only eat once a month) I didn't eat anything fried. I drank a Xyience Xenergy Drink Zero calories NO Sugar instead of a soda pop. I ate healthful snacks and smaller meals every few hours to increase metabolic rate. Moderate carbs, high protein and low but NOT no fat. Almonds, raisans, yogurt, fruit.

Banned

as I said in The Thread Crash started, I drink a full Glass of water right before eating , this makes me full with 1/2 the food, Easy Portion control.

Yeah, but is a shot glass really all that effective?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Big Glass,,,,,,,, Actually , It depends on whats for dinner, If its something I really like,, Maybe a shot glass

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    as I said in The Thread Crash started, I drink a full Glass of water right before eating , this makes me full with 1/2 the food, Easy Portion control.
    That's a neat trick and it DOES work.
    I remember my mom saying at the dinner table when I was little...don't drink so much water, you won't be hungry for food.
    My, how things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, but is a shot glass really all that effective?
    It would be kinda hard to swallow a bigger one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    That's a neat trick and it DOES work.
    I remember my mom saying at the dinner table when I was little...don't drink so much water, you won't be hungry for food.
    My, how things have changed.
    Yes, It works VERY well,, It also helps stretch the groceries a little farther, More Leftovers

Today I started the first part of my lifestyle change. It will last for two weeks and is designed to detoxify the liver. If anybody is interested, I'll post what it entails.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Today I started the first part of my lifestyle change. It will last for two weeks and is designed to detoxify the liver. If anybody is interested, I'll post what it entails.
    I DEFINITELY want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Wait....you're not gonna post that picture of Rick, in a thong...are you???
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I know that if I try to make big changes, I'll never stick to them. I've been trying to make little changes, here and there, that I will stay with. I switched from drinking a lot of Pepsi, to drinking sweet tea....and everytime I make a jug of tea, I use a little less sugar. I'll still have a couple of ham or roast beef sammich's for lunch, but I have them on whole wheat, instead of white. And I'll leave off the cheese, and just use some spicy mustard. I go for a bike ride every now and then, but I found a place to ride, that I enjoy, and I play "spot the resources" while I ride. It's a lot more fun, that way.

In my first two weeks of doing these simple things, my blood sugar is where it should be, my blood pressure has dropped 10 points, and I've lost 6 pounds.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Default Here It Is

This two week plan is from a book titled The Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman. Here is the two week protocol diet.

Oil
    Daily intake: 1 tablespoon twice daily of organic high-lignan flaxseed oil.
    Purpose: Essential for its high omega 3 fat fighting and insulin regulating potential.

Lean Protein
    Daily intake: Up to 12 ounce per day (up to 8 ounces for women)
    Choose from: All varieties of fish, seafood, lean beef, veal, lamb, skinless turkey or chicken, and whey.
    Purpose: Protein raises metabolism by 25 percent and activates the liver’s detoxifying enzymes.

Eggs
    Daily intake: Up to 2 per day
    Purpose: The omega 3 enriched eggs contain antioxidants.

Vegetables
    Daily intake: Unlimited – raw or steamed
    Choose from: It’s a pretty lengthy list with quantity restrictions on carrots (1) and olives (3)
    Purpose: These fibrous and phytontrient rich vegetables will help spped your liver’s cleansing and provide valuable carotenoids.

Fruits
    Daily intake: 2 whole portions daily
    Choose from: 1 small apple, ½ grapefruit, 1 small orange, 2 mdeium plums, 6 large strawberries, 10 large cherries, 1 nectarine, 1 peach, and 1 cup of berries.
    Purpose: High in enzymes and minerals and low on the glycemic index

Cranberry water
    Daily intake: 8 glasses daily (8 ounces per glass)
    Purpose: The cranberry juice water mixture eliminates water retention, cleanses accumulated wastes from the lymphatic system, and also helps to clean up cellulite.
    How to: To prepare cranberry water I use R.W. Knudsen Just Cranberry. It is a 100% cranberry concentrate with no additives (many use white grape). Add 16 ounces of the concentrate to 1 gallon (minus the 16 ounces) of water.

There are some guidelines about spices and Stevia is the only sweetner she recommends (or allows to use her words). She also has restrictions on coffee intake and recommends some suppliments.

When I am through with this, basically I am going to follow a diabetes menu. I suppose that I have been blessed in that my blood pressure has always been low, cholesterol and triglycerides well within recommended parameters, and have not had any issues with diabetes. Basically a balanced diet with measured portions. Looks like Mom was right all along.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel