Thread: Big Problems in Thailand

Default Big Problems in Thailand

We have a forum member whose (at least last know) location is / was Chiang Mai, Thailand.

His handle:Chiangmaimav

Last Activity: 02-11-2010 08:43 PM

I am familiar with his location, and know that it is generally north of Bangkok where the bulk of the current unrest is. Just sending out good wishes and hope he is far enough out to avoid the violence. Hopefully this is the closest any of our members will ever get to this type of civil unrest and violence.

Be safe Chiangmaimav

This is just a sample of the media coverage

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100519/...iland_politics

6 more dead in Bangkok protest zone

BANGKOK – Witnesses say at least six more bodies from the Bangkok unrest are lying in a Buddhist temple in the protest zone.

They say the temple, Wat Pathum Vanaram, was supposed to be a sanctuary for protesters from the street violence but troops have yet to secure the surrounding area.

Hundreds of people fled there after the army launched a crackdown to end a two-month standoff in the Thai capital.

Canadian journalist Mark MacKinnon, who was at the temple, said the situation remained dangerous with bullets flying overhead until a cease-fire was negotiated late Wednesday night.

Medical volunteer Anan Thongniem said the dead included two protesters, one protest 'guard' and two medics.

The deaths would bring Wednesday's death toll to at least 12.

BANGKOK (AP) — Thailand's prime minister says he is confident order will be restored and has promised firm action to crack down on arson that has spread through the capital and other areas around the country after troops cracked down on protesters.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva tried to reassure his country in a televised announcement Wednesday that the government would restore calm, although fires spread through the city after troops moved earlier in the day against thousands of protesters holed up in central Bangkok.

"Please rest assured that the government, officers and I are confident and determined that we can overcome the problems," he said, adding that troops had been given the go-ahead to shoot at suspected arsonists.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I was watching this morning on the news. Looks pretty bad there. I think it was a bank building that was on fire.

Stay safe Chiangmaimav.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I hope he's OK. On the news a while ago, the central shopping centre has been badly damaged by fire and is still burning. It's a scary situation.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

retired American

Hello and thank you guys very much for thinking of me. I have not written for long time but not entirely due to situation here. My computer was hacked into and after that did not work and had no internet. The fact is I was thinking often during last few weeks that I would have liked to have been able to read and speak with forum members.
    Right now there is a curfew and everyone has to be off the streets from 9pm-5am. I have some photos maybe I can send which i took of people lighting 2 fire trucks on fire. For the moment it is mostly quiet,but the problems are definitely not over and probably this will go on a very long time. It has turned into now basically a class struggle. Chiang Mai is Thaksin's home and the center of the redshirts, and at first I agreed with much of their ideas but now they have turned into a mob of violent thugs and terrorists and are destroying the country. I work as volunteer police here, but unfortunately police force in Chiang Mai mostly support redshirts and are pretty useless.

I have a wife and business and home here and have no intention of leaving , unless for some reason the foreigners get deported in which case I will obviously have to leave. I do have a plan to go to Laos if I have to but that is last resort.
    On the down side here, as foreigner I am not permitted to own firearms of any kind so am somewhat defenseless here, however so far violence has not been directed against foreigners, but my opinion is that is liable to change, but maybe not.

I will try to keep in touch with you guys and thanks again.

Blog Entries

Well that's a relief! I'm glad you're relatively safe for the time being.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Good to hear from you. Stay safe. I know from experience in country that the dynamics can change quickly, so your idea of Laos probably has some merit. at any rate keep your head below the fenceline and be safe.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Glad you are safe and were able to give us an update. You are living through a situation that some (not on this forum) romanticize about. I suspect that there is nothing romantic about the situation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Glad you are ok chiangmaimav,stay safe,and sending prayers for you and your family.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chiangmaimav View Post

On the down side here, as foreigner I am not permitted to own firearms of any kind so am somewhat defenseless here, however so far violence has not been directed against foreigners, but my opinion is that is liable to change, but maybe not..

This is about people with nothing and people with wealth. I don't see how they would not torn on the rich foreigners, be they rich French, Yankees, Britt's. I use the term rich in relative terms. If it goes on long enough, I fear it could get dangerous for non-Thai's. My real fear is that this could flare-up through out the world, Turkey, Greece, Argentina, even America in cities with high unemployment.

Blog Entries

I'm glad you posted and that you're safe, my friend. Stay that way, okay?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark