Thread: Beach Combing & Scavenging = FUN

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Beach Combing & Scavenging = FUN

Did a hike yesterday along the south shore of Turnagain Arm, and the winter has washed up a new crop of priceless (Free) treasures. Beach combing is fun, good exercise, and rewarding

What sort of stuff is washing up? Just curious, here in NJ is usually medical waste
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    What sort of stuff is washing up? Just curious, here in NJ is usually medical waste
    Random dimension lumber up to 2"X12" fishing bobbers, coolers, propane bottles, huge Styrofoam logs, docks, small wooden boats, sheets of plywood, etc. (GROSS about the medical waste)

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Did a hike yesterday along the south shore of Turnagain Arm, and the winter has washed up a new crop of priceless (Free) treasures. Beach combing is fun, good exercise, and rewarding
    Rodger that, I think I spend most of my life in "beach combing, scrounging" mode.
    Not just beaches, all the time. (ooh, ooh a shinny nickel......., piece of flint, cool looking bird....)

Going for a walk is always rewarding whether your on a beach or not (I like beaches).

I check my bottom field after a flood, never know what it brought you.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I do enjoy beach combing. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that your beaches and the ones around here might be slightly different.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I do enjoy beach combing. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that your beaches and the ones around here might be slightly different.
    Ours are clay and glacier silt, very slippery, with short marsh grasses, no sand, however a lot of it is jagged rock, and tide guts. Really it is not very pretty up close, looks picturesque from 200 yards.

That is some neat stuff, I agree with you, all good finds. Guess you won't be doing much sun tanning on that beach though
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I found some used syringes anda condom the other day on the beach. Makeshift slingshot?

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    I found some used syringes anda condom the other day on the beach. Makeshift slingshot?
    Hawaiian Sling.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

When we were up there a couple of different folks said the tidal flats where glacial silt had built up was pretty dangerous. They said you can sink in it and the triangular shape of the silt locks in place. One guy told me the fire department had to hose a guy out one time with the tide coming in. Were they picking on a Cheechako or is that true?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Man, I always miss out. Lived in the FL panhandle for over 16 years and after I leave, I could collect tar balls! Don't expect much in CO.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Wow! I don't know about tar balls but you could have tar heels, feet and toes. North Carolina has to be so envious!!! Free tar heels.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm always in scrounge mode. No beaches around here, but you never know what useful junk will turn up around old sheds and barns. I'm keeping an eye out for anything that looks like knife material for you guys. A lot of folks are reluctant to part with old tools that have been hanging in their barns for 40 years, but it never hurts to ask!
    It's another version of "Identify the Resource" games. your resources just aren't growing lol.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    When we were up there a couple of different folks said the tidal flats where glacial silt had built up was pretty dangerous. They said you can sink in it and the triangular shape of the silt locks in place. One guy told me the fire department had to hose a guy out one time with the tide coming in. Were they picking on a Cheechako or is that true?
    It is true......I try to stay on the stuff that has sedges, it is less sticky, and firmer.