Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Crawfish

Your call my trap was full in less than 2 hours, and that is my 1 cent. I used herring for bait....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

is there a certain time to set the traps? or is anytime a good time?
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Oh, maybe it was the place i put mine. I go around the rocks, but maybe the weeds is the answer. herring... hmm. Maybe i'm going about this all wrong.

If you read back in my post I tried bread balls and herring. The herring worked best. Any fresh cut bait will work cut brim, etc. I did it through mid day. I have also seen them come to a lantern when camped on a lake. I think they are more active during a full moon at night.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

In Australia here we love eating not only yabbies (Your crawfish) which abound in rivers, farm dams and lakes but we also have freshwater Spiney Crayfish which grow up to nearly 3 feet long. These are covered in spines and found in many rivers in various places in Aus. Unfortunately, when it was discovered they were great eating, they were nearly fished to extinction as they are easy to catch and they are illegal to hunt now - but many people still catch them.
    Yabbies are commercially farmed here as well as caught in the wild.

Cheers,
    Rowan

I am very interested in what your calling spiny crawfish.. I'll do a search but any info you have would be nice! I wanna farm crayfish...

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/spiny.html

Them are some big crayfish! Is it possible you could send me a male and female?

That article is very conservative as far as the sizes are concerned, in isolated areas the crays will reach double the sizes stated in the article. The pictures do not show the spines well, you have to have some experience in handling them so as not to get your hands full of spines. I spent a lot of my childhood waiting for tips of the sharp spines to grow out of my hands when I mishandled them. Painful.
    Sorry CowboySurvival, I doubt it would be easy to export these creatures. Australia is very strict on exporting native animals.

Your right! What was I thinking' I know we all have to keep our resources natural and ferel animals intoduced to a foreign ecosystem is not a good thing. I'll just go after the biggest US species... Thanks for responding and telling us about these large crayfish of Australia.

Banned

One of our local Chinese Buffet places actually have crawfish on their hot bar. BUT it's precooked, frozen and then they cook it again so it's seriously over cooked. That's what happens when you have Mexicans cooking Chinese food and not one Cajun in the mix. I jokingly walked up to the kitchen door and yelled "Imigracion!!!!!Imigracion!!!" in a high voice then, "ICE nobody move!" in a deep voice one day. The kitchen was vacant of all Mexican and Chinese workers in under 15 seconds. The parking lot looked like a Chinese firedrill, if you'll pardon the expression.

If you recall I had said I had picked a male and female for pets. I thought I saw my pet crawfish mating. Well this week my male comes up dead and now the female is going to be a momma She is carrying an egg clutch that could mean more than 500 baby crawfish. One problem she is in a tank and should be burrowed to hatch her young. I have got to get this right. 500 little babies what should I do? I am thinking either return her to a burrow in the wild or try and switch her to a dirt burrow in an aquarium. Any ideas?

See the last post...

Look close under her tail...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have used a section of pvc pipe. I us about a 3 inch piece, then a 90 dagree elbow, then another 3 inch piece, then an end cap. This was for ghost shrimp mind you, not craws, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Or do they need to be where its dry to lay their eggs? IN that case, you could weight it, then trap some air in the pipe. Just a thought.

Tastes like chicke...I mean lobster.
    Attached Images Attached Images

let me tell u they are delicious!!u can use a trap to catch them,or go out at night ,in a creek,ditch,where ever u see they're holes/stacks,catch them by hand,jus watch those pincers.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"

Default Update

We have successfully breeded our craws and now have literally hundreds of little ones. They are too small for pics, plus I need to clean the tank...gonna be hard to clean with the baby craws. They were hatched underwater (full tank) it appears they are doing good..I will post pics when I am able!

Do I sense some etoufee in your future?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah or some kind of crawfish dish?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nah! I am amazed at the beauty of it and sharin' it with my little girl. She is 6 and these are her Craws...She is even writing a book! about the Jestation period. Maybe a future Science Fair project! I am so proud of her! Straight A's in the first qtr. nothing under 97!

It's that time of year again. Cowboy, did you ever get around to making that trap? I'm still interested in catching these things. How many gallons is the tank that your daughter keeps them in? I'm thinking of raising some, so I know exactly what's in them. No harsh pesticides. I have a ten gallon I'm looking to try, but I've also got my grubby little paws on a huge 100 gallon setup. I think I might be able to breed some craws in there. We'll see what happens. My traps are out. I used ground beef, because I couldn't find anything fishy. This weekend I'll make a run for the city to get some fish. The cheapest, grossest fish I can find should suffice. Right?