Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Crawfish

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

On the west side of the lake, there are a whole bunch of fist sized rocks that were put there by man to keep the waves from ruining the road. On the shore, there are a whole bunch of bodies from craws, mostly claws. I don't know if there are lots of crawfish there or if thats where the gulls take them to be eaten. Do they preffer lots of vegitation or lots of rocks?

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    On the west side of the lake, there are a whole bunch of fist sized rocks that were put there by man to keep the waves from ruining the road. On the shore, there are a whole bunch of bodies from craws, mostly claws. I don't know if there are lots of crawfish there or if thats where the gulls take them to be eaten. Do they preffer lots of vegitation or lots of rocks?
    Common Ya'll.....butter and "seafood sauce"-whatever that is. Come on down to New Orleans if ya wanta eat dem der bugs sher. We do em right with cayenne pepper, salt, lemon oil , and other seasonings. Boil them with mushrooms, potatoes (not fallin apart), corn on the cob, cellery, sausage, onions (whole or cut in half), and whatever else ya like. Dump da whole ting on da table an go afta it (lay down news paper first). You can buy the seasoning mix in stores around here and it is called "dump". you dump it in the boiling pot and get to cookin. The "Zatartanz" brand is pretty good. You can also buy liquid "boil" to put in the water instead of "dump". but the "dump" is waaaayyyy better. Different seafood houses where ya buy the live crawfish have their own "dump" recipies but all the good one are pretty close. Timming is everthing too when boiling them. If ya boil them too long the shells get hard and you cant peel the tail w/o destroying the meat. When done right the tail meat slips right out when gripped with your froint teeth. no peeling of the tail is necessary. Pull the head and suck the juice out, then put your teeth on the little bit of meat sticking out of the tail and gently pull away from your mouth (simultaneously pinching the bottom of the tail) leaving a hunk of meat between your teeth. The boiling procedure goes like this for perfect crawfish every time---Put your prefered seasoning("dump"--Zataranz) into you boiling pot and bring to a boil. You need one box of "dump" per sack of crawfish (about 40lbs) place your live crawfish into the water (they should be in a basket for easy removal). At this point the water will have stopped boiling because you added in the cool crawfish. bring the crawfish and water to a boil again and immediately turn off the propane. Let the crawfish stand in the water for 15 min and pull them out. Ready to eat. An average person can eat about 5-10 lbs in one sitting. Some people way more than that. Man I just got myself hungry!
    Last edited by glockcop; 06-14-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Flandersander I dont know what I did to this freaking computer to pull up your reply and put it with mine but that was not intentional. Sorry brother. I am very new at this forum stuff.

Hey don't worry about it buddy, It was useful information.

Here is one of the crawfish caught back when i first posted. We have what we think is a male and female for pets. We think this guy is the male. His name is Bearclaw.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

He's a nice color. Howd ya catch 'em?

He's a nice color. Howd ya catch 'em?
    He is one I caught in the trap I posted. Look back at the post. Any how we have had them more than a month and they are doing great! Learnin' how to breed them I think.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    He is one I caught in the trap I posted. Look back at the post. Any how we have had them more than a month and they are doing great! Learnin' how to breed them I think.
    Ummmmmmmmmm.........nevermind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here is the pair. I figure the male is colorful and the female isn't.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

hey cowboy, I don't believe you ever did post pics of that new trap design. Did you end up making it?

Here is a link to determine the sex.

http://biog-101-104.bio.cornell.edu/.../crayfish.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just about the only thing I miss about Louisiana are crawfish. They are so delicious. I miss Gumbo too though.

hey cowboy, I don't believe you ever did post pics of that new trap design. Did you end up making it?
    I made a good start at it but never finished it. I'll post it when I do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Here is a link to determine the sex.

http://biog-101-104.bio.cornell.edu/.../crayfish.html
    Good link Rick! you solved a dilema we were having as to being sure of the sex. I had found an identifying prong is used for louisiana crawfish. It is absent in the species I have been catching. This should clear it up for me thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I made a good start at it but never finished it. I'll post it when I do though.
    Hey, hey, hey now. You just march yourself out to your workshop and finish that knife. No getting side tracked with fishing!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Hey, hey, hey now. You just march yourself out to your workshop and finish that knife. No getting side tracked with fishing!
    Thanks Crash soon everyone will know how I jump from project to project. Seriously I do intend to try my hand at the forge this weekend. Oh, have to build the forge first.....

does anyone know if you can find crawfish in so-cal? ive been researching and looking in fishing/hunting forums but cant find anything.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

I am sure they are in your state. I know they were in NM.

thanks cowboysurvival. i actually found out that they are some in big bear lake. im gonna start making some traps and try to catch some.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

i found that i catch more by flipping over rocks, and scooping them up with minnow or butterfly net. They're really fast though, and i think they look like a frog shooting away. You've can't be afraid to be pinched, thats why i started using a net. easier, and less pain. Thats just my 2 cents though.