Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spray your bait with WD-40 ?

I always thought it was how you wiggled the worm.. Not how you greased it up....
    Sorry

I have heard of this for quite some time but I find it easy enough to catch fish without adding petroleum based products to the ecosystem.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

I have read this tip in a fishing magazine once... It's very interesting but Im not sure how true this would be?
    Never without my Paracord Survival Bracelet an essential part of any Survival Kit !

I have tried this myself. Didnt notice much of a difference. People will believe anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    One practice here is to wash your boots before leaving one waterway going to another to prevent invasive species contamination.
    Thanks for bringing this up, beat me to it, applies to boats and water-craft as well.
    Turning into a big problem.
    MF, and Uncles, believed in tobacco spit..........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome Brian. Why not fish your way over to our introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Here's a template to help.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by BushedOut View Post
    I have read this tip in a fishing magazine once... It's very interesting but Im not sure how true this would be?
    I used to read, collect, try all the tips I could find in outdoor mags, hunting fishing , camping, canoeing etc.......

I starting to believe, that they never really tell you the truth, or give you the whole story.........because if they did, everyone would know the "real, best, never fail method, way, size, caliber" and they couldn't sell magazines any longer.
    Just a thought...........

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    I have heard of this for quite some time but I find it easy enough to catch fish without adding petroleum based products to the ecosystem.
    Mystery question of the week:

Where did the petrolium based products come from?

I will guarentee you that your car/boat motor puts more residue into the water getting you to the fishing hole than a full can of WD-40. In fact, I'll bet the production of your fishing rod caused more polution that squirting a full can into the creek would produce.

I live on the Ohio River. Above me is every industrial and urban complex from the eastern contentintal divide to the halfway point of the rivercourse. Fishing is banned from the Licking River for the last 40 miles of its course before it dumps into the Ohio at Cinnci, where the entire city dumps the sewage of 1,000,000 people into the pristine flow.

Do you pee in the water when you go fishing?

Spray away. WD-40 is probably the cleanest stuff in the water.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well, okay, but that's no reason to add more to it. Stand in front of those industrial behemoths with your can of WD-40 and a sign proclaiming you refuse to pollute. Lead by example my good man.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We're talking about a squirt on a worm!

One of your thong posts adds more pollution to the environment due to the instant gag reflex and puking!

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well I will share this with you folks - my understanding is that 1 gallon of gasoline contaminates (unfit for drinking ) some 10,000 gallons of drinking water, now I don't remember where I heared that... but there we are. Almost all the streams here in Chester / Montgomery around Valley Forge are contaminated with a wide varitey of contaminates and the fish are regulated to eating one, less than one per week. In the last two years even the tiny micro drop of murcury that makes a Florescent Bulb light, is not allowed anymore. I honestly doubt that a squirt of WD40 today is going to make a difference.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Seriously, guys. In truth one squirt is too many to put in the water. That argument is similar to, "those guys are stealing lots of money so it's okay if I steal a little". Here, at least, you can eat any of the fish and as much as you want. The fish are checked all the time by DNR and if you are caught polluting you face big fines, individual or corporation. There are signs posted everywhere with an 800 number to call if you see anyone polluting the water. Even curb side run off is strictly controlled because of yard fertilizers and insecticides. The Yard guys have had to change what they use to get away from phosphorous in the fertilizers. I prefer my foods and water to be clean and safe. When the SHTF and you come looking for clean water I'll just hand you a can of WD-40 (smirk, snort).

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Mystery question of the week:

Where did the petrolium based products come from?

I will guarentee you that your car/boat motor puts more residue into the water getting you to the fishing hole than a full can of WD-40.
    Spray away. WD-40 is probably the cleanest stuff in the water.
    Wellllll, see my favorite fishing, I walk to... and there are no motorized boats.
    also, it's spring fed with no streams or rivers to bring in road runoff...
    If everyone said, " this little squirt won't do much harm..." you know where i'm going with this....

Then of course, there's the whole problem with it being a bunch of crap... if you need wd-40 on your bait... well, let's just say you might wanna pick up a new hobby....

If you really want to spray it on, go ahead.. your favorite spot isn't my favorite spot.... adding more pollution to polluted water doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but hey, what do i know?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

I agree with Night Shade for sure. We still have many ponds that don't even allow electric motors on a boat or canoe. I guess if you want to catch bass that can take to wd 40, in your lakes and ponds then go ahead, but when you come to Maine please remember not to continue that practice on our waters. Brook Trout are very sensitive, and they just don't need it. If you want to talk about water pollution, check into Rock Snot, it will make you want to clean your boots for sure.

I know there are a ga-jillian different uses for WD40, including spraying your cows coat for judging at the State Fair.
    I guess I just don't have to catch fish, that bad.
    Not for me..................

Well, one thing about it, your fish shouldn't rust.

...or squeak.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Heavy metals will do that if you don't lubricate them.

I'll be darn!

That micro drop of mercury isn't a micro drop. Funny thing is the EPA has us jumping through hoops for disposal of fluorescent bulbs. But, they don't care what we do with our mercury containing neon tubes.

Also, fluorescent tubes are less harmful to the environment then LEDs. The LEDs are greener for the consumer. But, an environmental train wreck to manufacture.

Oh, and Levi Garret as a fish attractant? Get real Days O' Work or Mail Pouch or stay on the porch!

Yeah this does work, however it is frowned upon because it can cause water contamination. I wouldnt recommend doing it.
    Last edited by SurvivalKid; 02-17-2011 at 08:39 PM.