Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spray your bait with WD-40 ?

Banned

Question Spray your bait with WD-40 ?

Snip,

Attract fish. When sprayed on fishing bait, WD-40 covers up the scent of human hands on the bait to better lure fish, according to USA Today. The WD-40 Company receives hundreds of letters from consumers confirming this use, but prefers not to promote WD-40 as a fishing lure since the petroleum-based product could potentially pollute rivers and streams, damaging the ecosystem.

http://www.wackyuses.com/wd40.html

My uncle has been doing this for 20 years now. I hadnt really noticed him catching more fish than me the times we fished together but it is his "trick".

And the fish he catches never squeak or rust!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Upside-hooks don't rust
    Downside-fish slide off hooks
    I think I will try it, altho I do believe that fish will hit a moving rock if they are feeding. Gum wrapper around a bare hook even works.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Gum wrapper around a bare hook even works.
    Hmm, Thats a good idea ! Flashy lure ,,

I hope people keep it out of our drinking water, it's bad enough now, w/o the WD-40. It would be a shame to see people putting it in the few pristine waters that are left.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    I hope people keep it out of our drinking water, it's bad enough now, w/o the WD-40. It would be a shame to see people putting it in the few pristine waters that are left.
    Just think of the Pollution a Motor Boat adds to the water ,,

We still have a lot of waters here, where you can't use a motor, even electric, not to mention the small trout streams that are all over. Just don't think it should be done, just my opinion.

human spit is a fish lure that work just spit on your bait every time you cast it out it works been doing it for over 40 years now think I read it in sports afield or outdoor life
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

I think they prefer Levi Garret over plain spit.

I have tried the WD-40 many times. Don't know if it works. Sometimes they just won't bite anything.

Paul
    I like this little guy

http://pmooreknives.webs.com

Whether WD-40 or spitting on yours hook works is totally dependendent on how you hold your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    Well we are in trouble then. Because it has been done for over 30 years that I know of. Some people swore by this when I was a kid.

Banned

Just washing your hands in a stream probably pollutes it more,

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Just washing your hands in a stream probably pollutes it more,
    Eeeeewh, and fish pee in it as well.

Paul
    I like this little guy

http://pmooreknives.webs.com

One practice here is to wash your boots before leaving one waterway going to another to prevent invasive species contamination.

WD40 is made from fish oil. That's why it attracts. Carp and catfish fishermen have used it for years. It's not designed as a lubricant. It's for displacing water. It won't stop rusting on steel either. In the long run, since is a bio product, it may even cause some rust. Be careful using it on guns for long-term use.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
    WD40 is made from fish oil. That's why it attracts. Carp and catfish fishermen have used it for years. It's not designed as a lubricant. It's for displacing water. It won't stop rusting on steel either. In the long run, since is a bio product, it may even cause some rust. Be careful using it on guns for long-term use.
    Fish Oil ? No Fooling ? It doesn't smell like fish,

You need to check the MSDS sheet. It's petroleum based not fish oil. It's composed of Hexane, CO2 (propellant), mineral oil and inert ingredients.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I tried this and it didn't work. Scientifically speaking it should as should any oil forthe mostpart, but for me it didn't and it actually made things worse.

Supposedly bilge water that has used motor oil mixed in works best for salmon.

Why does anyone want to put any kind of oil in the water? Isn't there enough carp (not the fish) in there already.