Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to start watching for venomous critters

Banned

Default Time to start watching for venomous critters

From My Local Newspaper,

Time to start watching for venomous critters

By The AGFD
    Published: Friday, March 26, 2010 1:20 AM MDT
    KINGMAN — Welcome to springtime in Arizona; home to the most dangerous rattlesnake, spider, lizard and scorpion in the nation.

The temperatures are rising and those slithering, crawling, burrowing and web-spinning critters are ready to eat.

The Arizona Game and Fish Department reminds the public these venomous insects and reptiles become active this time of year and people who take the time to learn and educate themselves and their children can minimize the likelihood of a dangerous encounter.

“It’s just about time,” said Zen Mocarski, public information officer at the Game and Fish Kingman office. “After a winter of inactivity, they’re ready for their first meals of the year.

“Spiders, scorpions, rattlesnakes, the Gila monster, and a variety of other critters are part of life in Arizona. As it warms up, they’ll become increasingly more visible.”

Mocarski worries most about young children who have a natural curiosity of their surroundings.

“Parents need to teach children not to pick up any type of wildlife,” he said. “Teach your kids to come and get you when they see something.”

The most commonly encountered rattlesnake in Arizona is the western diamondback, which also accounts for the most bites. And, while there is no such thing as a typical rattlesnake bite, the Mohave is accepted as the most dangerous, although the potency of its venom can vary from region-to-region.

“What’s the most dangerous rattlesnake?” Mocarski asked. “The one that bit you.”

Mocarski said accidental bites are rare and many incidents involve alcohol. However, if bitten, the rules to follow are simple.

“Remove any restrictive clothing and jewelry and get to a medical facility as quickly as possible,” he explained. “Forget what you’ve seen in movies and get treatment with anti-venom.

“Do not cut open the bite area and try to suck out the venom, don’t submerge the bite area in ice, and do not tie off the area with a tourniquet.”

While approximately 30 percent of rattlesnake bites are considered dry bites — those that do not require anti-venom treatment — a medical professional should make that determination.

In addition, do not spend time trying to capture or collect the rattlesnake. Identification is not necessary for treatment.

Understanding wildlife behavior can go a long way in avoiding bites and stings.

Rattlesnakes are cold blooded and have to work to try and maintain an ideal body temperature. During cooler times, such as evening hours, rattlesnakes will seek out a heat source such as pavement. During the heat of the day, they will seek shade.

Mocarski added that it is a myth that rattlers will always rattle before a strike.

“It’s our jobs to take certain precautions,” Mocarski said. “Keep a close eye on the sides of trails and never place your hands and feet in an area you can’t see.”

As for dogs, Mocarski said encounters with rattlesnakes can be dangerous.

“Dogs tend to be bitten around the face and neck,” he explained. “Training can help, but keeping your pet on a leash and close to your side will help avoid bites that occur as a result of a dog’s natural curiosity.”

For scorpions and spiders, Mocarski said to wear gloves when working around wood or rock piles and to shake out shoes that have been left outside. He added that open-toed shoes provide little protection.

Most scorpion stings are comparable to that of a bee. However, the sting of the bark scorpion can be more severe. Its sting can be harmful to young children, the elderly, and individuals in poor health.

While all spiders are venomous, two factors must exist to be considered a threat to humans: the venom must be strong enough to do damage and their jaws must be able to break human skin. With these factors in mind, two spiders in the area are considered dangerous to humans: the brown (a relative of the brown recluse), and the black widow.

The Gila monster is the only dangerous lizard in North America. Its bite is extremely painful and can result in vomiting and convulsions. The Gila monster is also notorious for not letting go and victims have been known to show up at an emergency room with the lizard still attached.

“A Gila monster bite is not something an individual wants to experience,” Mocarski said. “The good news is that if people leave them alone, they’ll leave the people alone. I’ve never heard of an accidental Gila monster bite.”

Mocarski added that the Gila monster is protected and it is illegal to disturb, capture, or kill one. It is rarely seen, spending much of its life underground.

“All these animals are important parts of the ecosystem,” Mocarski explained. “Rattlesnakes help keep rodent populations under control while scorpions and spiders feast on a number of different types of insects.

“They’ve been here a long time. It’s our job to learn to live with them, not their job to learn to live with us.”

http://mohavedailynews.com/articles/...1416486218.txt

sadly, snakes are on a serious decline in my area, with all the development.

even 15 years ago it was quite easy to find gopher snakes and rattle snakes here. now the rattlers are almost unheard of until you head up to the hills.

being a guy who likes snakes [and likes to eat snake], you can imagine i'm sad to see them go. they just don't seem to live as long or breed as much the busier the roads get.

i'm sitting out in the back right now, and there are probably a dozen black widow spiders within 6 feet of me right now, but they never bother me. i haven't seen a scorpion around here in years. i think the bridge and irrigation squatters have trouble with them, since they tend to share the same types of sleeping areas.
    Last edited by canid; 03-26-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    The temperatures are rising and those slithering, crawling, burrowing and web-spinning critters are ready to eat.]

If you see my Ex sithering around, say Hi for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    If you see my Ex sithering around, say Hi for me.
    She May Bite me ahh you just reminded me of something, ever heard this LOL, I LOVE This !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cYoM1Rxmpg

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a fishing spot down at the lake called "Rattlesnake Point". They are abundant here. Temps on the rise are a sure sign they will be crawling. High water table means they can't stay in their holes. I've seen 3 snakes in the last 4 days working in yards, cleaning flower beds. a White Oak, and 2 gopher snakes. all harmless, thank goodness, but a nice reminder that it's that time of year. Snake leggings are a must trekking through the swamps of South GA. When trekking the creek, I'm normally barefoot in shorts, like a fool, but that's a good example of what NOT to do lol.

I was told that if you get bit by a snake, to call the fire dept. and they will send a heli to pick you up and take you to the nearest facility, which happens to be a 3 hour drive from here. If you are a couple hours into the woods, you're dead if you don't call, so I ALWAYS carry a snakebite kit.
    Do you know who to call if you get bit?

good thread starter Justin.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    There's a fishing spot down at the lake called "Rattlesnake Point". They are abundant here. Temps on the rise are a sure sign they will be crawling. High water table means they can't stay in their holes. I've seen 3 snakes in the last 4 days working in yards, cleaning flower beds. a White Oak, and 2 gopher snakes. all harmless, thank goodness, but a nice reminder that it's that time of year. Snake leggings are a must trekking through the swamps of South GA. When trekking the creek, I'm normally barefoot in shorts, like a fool, but that's a good example of what NOT to do lol.

I was told that if you get bit by a snake, to call the fire dept. and they will send a heli to pick you up and take you to the nearest facility, which happens to be a 3 hour drive from here. If you are a couple hours into the woods, you're dead if you don't call, so I ALWAYS carry a snakebite kit.
    Do you know who to call if you get bit?

good thread starter Justin.
    I would call 911,, But they say now that a snake bite kit doesn't even work , I guess you cant simply suck the venom out , If you are bitten on the finger i suppose you could cut it off real quick ? Who would you call ?

Blog Entries

like I said, an EMS tech told me to call the fire department. My kit contains antivenom, not just lancets and suction. Military grade stuff care of my loving aunt in AK who works on the army base She sends a new one every year containing AV for coral, rattler, and moccasin. Hopefully it'll get me out of danger at least, and to the doctor.

anybody ever watch that show on Animal Planet, "Once Bitten"?
    I really don't want that to happen to me, but the possibility is very real.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

I don't think cutting off appendages for a snake bite is a wise idea. Yes, call 911. Stay calm. Keep the bitten area lower than your heart. If it is a finger, and it has a ring on it, remove it (it's going to swell a lot). Again, if it's a finger - start wrapping (bandage if you have it, but clothing can work) a compression type wrap (not a tourniquet) from your elbow toward the bitten area.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I suppose I should add - awareness and protective clothing are your best bets. No different than any other wild creature. Awareness and respect for the habitat that you are in.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Although we only have one venomous Snake In the UK, and it's rarely fatal, I remember seeing a programme on TV about Snakes and Snake bites. On the prgramme it recommended marking the area bitten, just in case you were not in a state to tell the responders what had happened. I don't know if this is a useful piece of advice or not.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned

like I said, an EMS tech told me to call the fire department. My kit contains antivenom, not just lancets and suction. Military grade stuff care of my loving aunt in AK who works on the army base She sends a new one every year containing AV for coral, rattler, and moccasin. Hopefully it'll get me out of danger at least, and to the doctor.

anybody ever watch that show on Animal Planet, "Once Bitten"?
    I really don't want that to happen to me, but the possibility is very real.
    That kind of a kit would be awesome,, I wish I had one like that ! I am allergic to bees also, I have to be VERY careful because we have those Killer Bees and Regular Bees all over the place here, In fact I seen a swarm fly by the house yesterday,, Glad they didn't stop here, BTW, Fun Fact, A swarm of bees sounds like an ultra lite flying by, (not kidding)

Blog Entries

yes ma'am it is. Especially if you are very far from help!

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Although we only have one venomous Snake In the UK, and it's rarely fatal, I remember seeing a programme on TV about Snakes and Snake bites. On the prgramme it recommended marking the area bitten, just in case you were not in a state to tell the responders what had happened. I don't know if this is a useful piece of advice or not.
    The purpose of marking the wound is to document swelling. After you have made sure you are out of any further danger. Observe any visible bite and swelling. Mark the outside. if possible every 15 minutes to 30 minutes trace the effected area again.

The doctor will use these rings to determine the amount of venom injected. This is the only safe way to determine IF anti-venom is needed and what dosage. Also, there are many other things that need to be available to offset anaphylactic reaction to anti-venom.

When the article above advises that you don't need to identify the snake the are hoping its a rattlesnake. If someone has lost a pet you could have an exotic species. Know the species in your area. In the extremely unlikely event you are bitten venomous snake that doesn't fit the area, you will be asked to pick it out from a photo line up. If it wasn't one of the locals in an different color phase then your treatment is going to be delayed while they make sure your symptoms match those of the snake they think bit you.

I remember at one of the big Weblos camps a kid got stung by a scorpion. They rushed him to the hospital even though here in Florida as well as most of the US, the kids was no worse of and the treatment is exactly the same as for a wasp sting.

Black widows and brown widows are everywhere here. Bites are EXTREMELY uncommon. Black widows are shy spiders that will retreat unless they are on the egg sacs. I would take the time to learn to identify the egg sac of the widows.

In the woods widows don't move around during the day and build their homes under leaves where you probably won't ever know they were there.

Blog Entries

Ah, thankyou Batch, I stand corrected. I'm afraid the memory is not what it was.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned

Seen my first snakes of the year just now, 2 Bull snakes, one about 2 ft the other about 3 ft.. they were within 100 ft of each other, (never seen that before)
    Last edited by Justin Case; 04-02-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: sp

When we loaded the Polaris Ranger up last weekend we must of picked up a red rat snake. He must of ridden back to the place where the Ranger and trailer get kept.

We found him just before he would have gotten driven over.

I'll post picture when I get near a computer.

Good posts, Batch. Here's a pic of the Black Widow and the egg sac. I placed one of the bird baths top down on the ground over the winter to keep snow out of it. When I turned it over this spring there were two black widows inside of it. Most unusual. You will rarely see one around here but to see two in so close proximity was sort of cool.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here's a pic of the Brown Recluse, sometimes referred to as the Violin Spider. About as common as the Black Widow around here, which is fairly rare.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I dont think the second one is a Brown Recluse Rick, http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=QBIR&qs=n&sk=

It looks more like a brown widow http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=n&sk=&sc=1-11

. Military grade stuff care of my loving aunt in AK who works on the army base She sends a new one every year containing AV for coral, rattler, and moccasin. Hopefully it'll get me out of danger at least, and to the doctor.
    Why are these kits sent to AK? I thought Alaska was like Maine in that there are no poisonous snakes there.

It's the Army. If the manual says that anti-venom is required, then the manual wins. Logical or not.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel