Thread: 3 Day Solo Blades and Gear

Default 3 Day Solo Blades and Gear

3 Day Solo Blades and Gear

I've got six of the three day solo trip videos up on the channel now.

One of my formative experiences in this whole area happened when I was a kid. My dad was deer hunting alone in Wisconsin and broke the top off his shin. He ended up self extracting by tying his unloaded rifle with the barrel in his boot and his deer drag rope and sling holding the rifle against his leg as a splint. He then scooted backwards for several miles until another hunter found him.

In my head he has become somewhat of a baseline for wilderness survival gear. If he couldn't have done it in that condition it is not a wilderness survival technique. I highly value primitive and bushcraft skills but see wilderness survival skills and preparations as the thing I want with me to face the terrible day.

This video is a rundown of the blades and gear I took on the trip. This list doesn't change a whole lot. I do alter the contents of my pack between rainy and dry seasons.

I think it is very important to keep wilderness survival and bushcraft skills in perspective. I see wilderness survival equipment as the first line of defense in a wilderness emergency and I get out to practice with that kit often. Most of the time I go out I'm going out there to practice primitive skills and bushcraft but I never do so without my emergency gear.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Good video. I agree with you that wilderness survival and primitive skills aren't necessarily the same thing. The easiest way to make a fire is with a lighter, some cotton/vaseline tinder (or some other variation). A fire bow or hand drill will work, but take a lot more time and energy. Every method you know for making fire is a plus, and carrying more than one way to do it is vital. Thanks for sharing!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

The sound on my PC isn't working. I had to inject sounds to the vid as I thought appropriate. The click of a flash light, flys and you shooing them away, a burp... (you get the point). Other than that, nice vid.

Well done Mac. Another nice video.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Yes,, Well done ,, as always ,,

I enjoyed watching all 9 videos. Thanks for taking the time to video, edit, and post for all to see.

I agree with you on separating and keeping in perspective the use of emergency gear. It is good practice to see if you can do the necessary things with something like an injury.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned
    Blog Entries

Man, I wish I could watch videos.