Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BOV Rebuilding and Readiness?

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

The Argo 8X8 wins me over. Gotta figure out a way to buy one of those.

http://argoatv.com/default.aspx
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Have you guys checked out Rokon 2 wheel drive motorcycles? I have also had Otters and the older Ranger track vehicles too that do well deep in the woods.
    Many years ago I rode one. I just had to test the "can climb up a wall" claims. The claims are true......until your rear wheel nears the wall, at which point gravity takes over. Alcohol may have been involved - I can't remember that part.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Somewhere last week-end two fellahs were looking into the motor compartment of a camo 6 wheeled ATV. One looked up at the other and said, "You know the motor is too big, for that. To which the second guy replied, "Yep. Came that way. It was only $800."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post

Have you guys checked out Rokon 2 wheel drive motorcycles?
    A buddy had one back in HS. It was a blast to ride but I never really liked that unguarded chain running out front! I suppose a newer one..or one less abused might have had a guard on it but this one didnt.

@Crash, I also remember testing the "it can climb a wall" claim. The trick is to climb a stone wall not a house.

A buddy of mine has the 6 wheel Argo, was going to use it for ice fishing, he didn't have the tracks and went about 300' and got hung up in the snow, and had to be hauled out by a couple of 4 wheelers. When there isn't much snow on the lake (he still doesn't have the tracks), it goes real well on the lake, and if he was to break through, at least he would float. It is quite loud in my opinion.

The new Coot2. Base price $12,500 and they are looking for dealers.

http://www.coot2.com/coot2_faqs.php
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Those are great! I have never seen anything like that before. Thanks for posting the photos

My grandfather had a farm in WV. He used to have a six wheeled vehicle. We called it the "Hustler", and I imagine that was it's model name. It did not have a steering wheel, but had two sticks, and it drove like an old tank. When you wanted to go left, you pulled the left stick back and pushed the righ stick forward. I was told it floated, but we never took in the water. I had good times with my cousins, cruising the farm land in that thing.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius95 View Post
    My grandfather had a farm in WV. He used to have a six wheeled vehicle. We called it the "Hustler", and I imagine that was it's model name. It did not have a steering wheel, but had two sticks, and it drove like an old tank. When you wanted to go left, you pulled the left stick back and pushed the righ stick forward. I was told it floated, but we never took in the water. I had good times with my cousins, cruising the farm land in that thing.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'd love ot have one. Brings back a lot of fun memories.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

I made a short video of Coot going over stumps and logs to show how it articulates (and to play with my camera). Another advantage to articulating is the only bumps I feel are from the one tire I am sitting over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwICVKvb9wg
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 04-20-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Nice demonstation of the Coot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great job and you did a great job on refurbishing those Coots.

The one in the video has a 275 serial number making it one of the first made in 64. It's all original and that 47 year old motor runs as good as motors did from that era. I still need to paint front tub.

I hear you. I was one of the first ones made in the mid 50s and I run about as good as any model from that time frame, too.

I just dont see the Coot as that great of a getaway rig...sorry AS. They travel slower then 2nd gear on my 4 wheeler, are to wide to pick through the trees and rocks like a wheeler, they dont have a great turning radius, the range (fuel) is far less then my Honda, they are loud, they look very uncomfortable (I would hate to do 100 miles in a day on one...if you even could do 100 miles on one!) and other then being able to swim, I see no benefit. I'd guess they are not as good in the mud because they have no momentum and no power to clean the tires..With the two racks on the wheeler and the gun rack, I can pack quite a bit of stuff on the wheeler and still have a good ride.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

I had a Honda 450 ES and have a Polaris 400 now so I know 4 wheelers also. The Coot is not as fast but in the video it running slow in low and will go faster but only about half the speed of 4 wheeler. The Coot out performs it in mud big time. Equal weight on the ground all the time and no differentials make a huge difference. You don't need momentum with the kind of traction a Coot has. It also has Attachment points on the wheels for cleats that are chained down pieces of steel stock.

I've also seen Coots with Terra tires that ride on top of the snow. Then there is a matter of power. The Coot has ten times the power through gearing and enough traction to use it. Side by side the Coot is not much bigger than large 4 wheeler. I'll line them up side by side for a picture later.

For my Bug out I use obsticals to stop any that follow even 4 wheelers. 4 wheelers don't fair so well off trail and I can roll over small trees with the Coot that stop the 4 wheelers and then hill climbing the Coot is unmatched and that includes the tracked vehicles I've had except some of the new snowmachines. I rode my nephews 800 Assualt and all I can say WOW! It's built for high marking. The turning radius on the older Coots is horrible but the newer ones have 4 wheel steering and with it out turn 4 wheeler with a 7 1/2 foot turning radius but one of the things I like about Polaris over the Honda I had is I can put it in 2 wheel drive and spin out in a tighter circle. I have almost all the parts needed to upgrade one of the Coots to all wheel steering.

The there is the whole water thing. Just about everybody has 4 wheelers around here and I have been building buggys and riding off road for nearly 50 years. Having both 4 wheeler and Coots I know the attributes of each. The Coot is a workhorse and the 4 wheeler is more of a race horse. The idea of a BOV is to be able to go where no one else can (including 4 wheelers) and that's what the Coot does. The Coot rides much smoother over rough terrain becuase of the way it articulates. Deep in the woods reliability counts too. 47 years and still going strong in Alaska is a testament to that. It's rated to carry over a half ton not to mention pull a much bigger trailer than any 4 wheeler so I can carry all the fuel I need for range. I'm looking into alternative energy to power one as well to give infinate range. I'm repowering the other Coot with Honda motor that will run quieter. Even considering electric conversion and using solar and Honda generator like a hybrid. That would also give me portable power with an inverter.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 04-21-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

...wonder if I could do that with an RV?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    ...wonder if I could do that with an RV?
    With a 20,000 pound winch you could.

Here you go, Sarge. Complete with bowling alley and wave pool.