Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BOV Rebuilding and Readiness?

Here is the side by side comparison. The Coot is slightly longer. It still will fit in the back of a pickup with the tailgate up.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The wheel base is about 4 inches longer.

It is wider but more of an advantage than disadvantage. More stable on uneven terrain, still narrow enough to go down 4 wheeler trails but just wide enough to stay out of the ruts plus I have seating for 6. Articulation and lower center of gravity adds to stability as well. Ground clearance is about the same but the smooth bottom of tubs are 16 guage steel reinforced with plate steel running full lenght and can drag bottom easily where my 4 wheeler gets hung up. Also while I can drive over small trees the 4 wheelers plastic rips apart in brush and once had on sapling drive through spaces in engine and break apart the tool box on the rear of my Honda. Something that just cannot happen to a Coot.

With a 2 wheel drive differential axle you only have as much traction as the wheel with the least traction. In essense a one wheel drive. 4 wheel drive basically is only as good as the two wheels with the least traction. The Coot does not have differentials and all wheels drive all the time and makes as much difference as compared to 4 wheel drive as 4 wheel drive compares to two wheel drive and when you add to that articulation that keeps wheels evenly balanced on the ground all the time the traction is unbelievable. There really is no comparison. BTW the Coot in this picture is only 45 years old.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 04-21-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Here you go, Sarge. Complete with bowling alley and wave pool.

Now that is one cool-looking machine!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I went to the Honda shop and ordered new motor today. I opted to get recoil start model without either the 3 amp or 10 amp charger. There was a 500 dollar difference and I will be installing a pulley and a perment magnet generator that will produce much more electricity and when power is run through it will work as starter. It should be here in 10 days. That will also give me a spare motor for my other Coot.

New motor arrived. I will be keeping fuel tank, air filter and muffler attached to motor as is and see this as an improvement. I will probably just extend throttle to keep things simple. Simple translates into reliability in the woods.

I have a flange that screws to muffler to route the exhaust. The pipe will only need to be about 6 inches long.

One difficulty is the cylinder is not vertical and makes motor wider than the original. I have removed sub frame and will need to move mounts 3 inches if I can shoe horn this motor in place. I'll need to get a shorter belt and think I'll have to move brake assembly to another location on driveshaft. If this does not work I will be mounting motor in rear tub with motor reversed for clearance and every thing running backwards to go forward if that makes sense. I may not be able to explain it but I can see it in my head.

Next on the wish list is custom centered wheels to increase turning and 12 inch wide Armstrong True Track tires.

AS, those are cool as hell.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Once mounted will you still be able to get to the crankcase drain and oil fill plugs? I don't know how the Coot is built down inside the engine compartment.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Filling will be ok, draining is messy but it prevents rust.

I didn't figure there was a "drain" in those things since a hole in the floor would negate its buoyancy. Can you use an oil hand pump for removing the old oil? I know a lot of marine engines require one to change the oil.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ven=Aggregates
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is all I can think of when I look at the pictures of those Coots....Sorry AS!

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

I have a yamaha rhino. I probably drive it more than my truck. It's nice, I love it, I've used and abused the bejeezies out of it. Pulling logs, picking stone, hauling firewood, spilling beer (just a little). It's a nice outfit but it's expensive and I believe a lot more complicated than a coot. I've been looking for a coot, they are hard to find.