Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOV Rebuilding and Readiness?

Default BOV Rebuilding and Readiness?

BOV Rebuilding and Readiness?

Like many others I don’t have the money to purchase new ATV’s without going into debt so I get old stuff and fix it up. I picked up a couple of 45 year old Coots. One would start with a little coaxing and the other one would not run at all, but between the two I was sure I could have one running perfectly.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I do a lot of things different from most people and tackle rebuilds making them better from the start. Most would tear a project like this down completely and it would be not running during this time or never run again if it does not get finished. The first thing I do is get them running. I pulled the one that did not run into my shop and got it running and getting everything on it working good. Now I had two that would run so I could work on one and still have one to bug out with if needed.

After getting them in good mechanical condition I begin with the modifications. Adding a prop triples their speed in the water.

I added seats to carry 4 and still have the room to carry 4 packs that I have made up.

Now that one is running perfectly I feel more comfortable taking on bigger projects on the other one that may have it down for a few days but still will keep projects so the can be finished up and back on the road in less than a couple of hours if needed if I see the need to bug out coming soon. A few examples of this follow.

I sanded and painted rear half of other Coot.

I put the wheels back on, sand painted and sprayed bed liner in rear cargo box.

I then covered the back with tarp and did some mechanical upgrades like adding battery box, add PTO, and get it to purr like a kitten. All that needs to be done to bug out is to throw seat back in front and remove tarp.

I have cleaned up motor compartment to prepare for camouflage paint job.

I have more improvements to make and even am building up another motor to re-power one but it should only mean a couple of hours of down time to accomplish that doing all the work in advance. People have all sorts of goals but you need to plan how to get there from here. One step at time going in the same direction is how I get places and get the job done.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-06-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Restored Post

Man those are neat! I admire your skills! Hope my life slows down to being able to do these types of things again soon. I used to all the time!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

that is really cool, i've been wanting to find a coot for the same purpose.

Well done AS. I had not heard of those (until your earlier post about them). Good stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Great work there, AS!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

You did, and we are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i think i hear you on that point AS, i'm the same way. getting something working is on the list and then improve it as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I was trying to make the point of maintaining readiness while doing your projects. I hope that message was not lost because I think we have to be ready always from here on out not just preparing for some distant event in the future.
    I dont think it was lost at all. Nice work with the coots. It is so much harder to work on a project when you are also keeping them at the ready! Nice job!

Nice job. I can't wait to see what they look like when you finish.

I believe you can still find some Old Coots in West Virginia.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

BOV Rebuilding and Readiness?

Like many others I don’t have the money to purchase new ATV’s without going into debt so I get old stuff and fix it up. I picked up a couple of 45 year old Coots. One would start with a little coaxing and the other one would not run at all, but between the two I was sure I could have one running perfectly.

I do a lot of things different from most people and tackle rebuilds making them better from the start. Most would tear a project like this down completely and it would be not running during this time or never run again if it does not get finished. The first thing I do is get them running. I pulled the one that did not run into my shop and got it running and getting everything on it working good. Now I had two that would run so I could work on one and still have one to bug out with if needed.

After getting them in good mechanical condition I begin with the modifications. Adding a prop triples their speed in the water.

I added seats to carry 4 and still have the room to carry 4 packs that I have made up.

Now that one is running perfectly I feel more comfortable taking on bigger projects on the other one that may have it down for a few days but still will keep projects so the can be finished up and back on the road in less than a couple of hours if needed if I see the need to bug out coming soon. A few examples of this follow.

I sanded and painted rear half of other Coot.

I put the wheels back on, sand painted and sprayed bed liner in rear cargo box.

I then covered the back with tarp and did some mechanical upgrades like adding battery box, add PTO, and get it to purr like a kitten. All that needs to be done to bug out is to throw seat back in front and remove tarp.

I have cleaned up motor compartment to prepare for camouflage paint job.

I have more improvements to make and even am building up another motor to re-power one but it should only mean a couple of hours of down time to accomplish that doing all the work in advance. People have all sorts of goals but you need to plan how to get there from here. One step at time going in the same direction is how I get places and get the job done.
    Adding a bit longer shaft would help the prop alot I think you'll have a cavitation problem...at least from here.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Don't kid us AS. Calling this a BOV is severe rationalization/justification for buying two really neat toys!

You live in Bute, AK. Who are you bugging out to avoid and where do you plan on going? We should all live in fear of the urban mobs you face!

Neat toys though.

Wonder if I could fit my Murry lawn tractor into my John boat with the wheels sticking out the bottom?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-06-2010 at 01:42 AM.

NWO is my concern. They want to control everything, everywhere.
    Well, if it's everywhere - where ya going?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

High mountain Canyons and Glaciers.
    So it'll be everywhere except there?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good lookin' coots! I like your thinking ahead and preparedness.

This thread reminded me of the movie I tried to stay up and watch last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcZhmyd7D7A

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

What search term do you use to find those for sale? All I ended up with was links to birds.
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Try "Coot ATV"

Or try this...

http://www.cootworld.com/

You might also look for the Argo amphibious 6X6. I think they call them "Bigfoot".

There is also a Kid 8x8 amphibious ATV. Take your pick!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazito View Post
    What search term do you use to find those for sale? All I ended up with was links to birds.
    I typed in "four wheel drive coots" and got quite a few responses. There's even a forum dedicated to them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Damm! I want one of those!!!!! How much weight will they carry on land and while afloat???
    I know what hunts you.

@AS..What's the range on them on a single tank of fuel? How loud is it sitting on that motor?

After my FIL passed away, I inherited? a old 6 wheeled ATV. (No else one wanted it)
    This isn't the one, mine was in rougher shape..........

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDIQ9QEwAw

It was sitting in a metal shed, all 6 tires flat and weather checked.
    Looked like a faded red, big, dead tick.

Because the tires were flat I couldn't get it out the door of the shed, too wide for the door,(must have just fit with air in the tires).
    Too much stuff stacked around it/in/on it to get at the tires.

Ended up taking the side of the door off, (rusted bolts) just to pull it up on a trailer with a come-a-along.

FIL had it for hunting, as he was a vet quadriplegic.
    He had gotten it, to find that the motor had been replaced with a 3 cylinder, 2 cycle Kohler, which add way too much power, had a real bad habit of breaking sear pins in the most precarious places, middle of the swamp, lake (did leak some) or deep woods.

My BILs and everyone else, always ended the reference sentence with, "You know the motor is too big...."

So, dragged it home, fixed the shear pins, fixed the exhaust pipe(broken off) with one those pipe wraps, put a battery in it, mixed up some fresh fuel, and fired it up!

"Slimed" the tires with several cans, and aired them up, and took it for a test ride.

After a "camo" paint job, put it in a yard sale and sold it for $800 bucks.
    Put the money toward my first new 4 wheeler........................
    (you know the motor is too big, for that.....)

Still like to find an old 60's 4-wheel drive pick up, in good shape.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-19-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27