Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dangers of Microwave Ovens Everyone Needs to Know

Banned

Exclamation The Dangers of Microwave Ovens Everyone Needs to Know

Snip,

by BodyEcology.com

Do you stand in front of your microwave while it's heating food?

Or do you turn it on and run for cover, worried about the potential microwave dangers?

Microwaves, a common appliance found in just about every household, may be convenient, but they harm your health.
    Continued @ http://www.bodyecology.com/07/08/02/...ve_dangers.php

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Great post, JC! My husband and I got into organic/natural foods awhile back and I started studying microwaves a little over 2 years ago and was horrified at what I found!!

Needless to say, as soon as I saw some of the info, the microwave was banned from use in the home. I actually found that using the stove for everything was not at all inconvenient, it just took getting used to.

I think what clenched it for me was reading about someone who died because a nurse warmed the blood in a microwave before a transfusion. Even though the blood was the right temperature, the complete make-up of the blood had been altered and the person died. Imagine what we are eating when we eat food heated in a microwave; it has been completely genetically restructured!!!

Besides, if/when stuff hits the fan, it will be good to not be accustomed to a microwave, anyway! This is a small, simple way to start scaling back on electricity dependence, and it can only improve health in the long run!

Blog Entries

Microwave ovens generate waves in the 2.45 GHz range.

The microwave is constructed to act as a type of Faraday Cage for the frequency range and wavelength in which the microwave oven itself operates, +/- a margin of safety. Even the glass door of the oven has a screen mesh to prevent the escape of waves OF THAT FREQUENCY AND WAVELENGTH.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned

I was "Shocked" (no pun intended) by some of the info in that article,,, I was a little surprised nobody had any comments,, Thanks smhg
    Last edited by Justin Case; 05-05-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: sp

And to think that someone on this site tried to get me to cook my eggs in one of those "death machines"!!

Banned

Here is a Useless "Fun Fact",, I guess something had spilled in the Micro,, woke up to find a trail of those little grease ants going in there, there was a bunch in side,,,, I got all excited as I decided to nuke those biting little &*%$ ers,,, so i set it 60 seconds and pushed start,,, watching through the window , expecting to see "POP Corn Ants",,, NOTHING,,,, UN phased,,,, Didnt bother them at all,,, as I watched in disbelief at this miracle of Life in the Oven,, ALL their little friends had crawled from the counter yo my arms and BIT THE *&%^ out of me

These do a pretty good job of cooking eggs ---- and anything else close by. http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../an-sps-10.htm
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by smhg View Post
    Great post, JC! My husband and I got into organic/natural foods awhile back and I started studying microwaves a little over 2 years ago and was horrified at what I found!!

Needless to say, as soon as I saw some of the info, the microwave was banned from use in the home. I actually found that using the stove for everything was not at all inconvenient, it just took getting used to.

I think what clenched it for me was reading about someone who died because a nurse warmed the blood in a microwave before a transfusion. Even though the blood was the right temperature, the complete make-up of the blood had been altered and the person died. Imagine what we are eating when we eat food heated in a microwave; it has been completely genetically restructured!!!

Besides, if/when stuff hits the fan, it will be good to not be accustomed to a microwave, anyway! This is a small, simple way to start scaling back on electricity dependence, and it can only improve health in the long run!
    I hope the person who heated the blood up was penalized in some fashion. The heat would cause the proteins in the blood to denature and be worthless.

To check if your microwave is leeching electromagnetic radiation, an easy to tell is to place a cellphone inside and call it. If the cell starts ringing, then the waves are getting in and means that waves are able to get out.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post

To check if your microwave is leeching electromagnetic radiation, an easy to tell is to place a cellphone inside and call it. If the cell starts ringing, then the waves are getting in and means that waves are able to get out.
    Hey thats a nifty little trick,,, I didnt know Cell phones were "Microwave" I thought they were in the 800-900 mhz range,, ?

I hope the person who heated the blood up was penalized in some fashion. The heat would cause the proteins in the blood to denature and be worthless.

I don't remember if she was or not...it was over 2 years ago that I read it.

Great idea about calling the phone.

It is not just what leaches out that concerns me, it is what the microwave does to the food while it's in there that concerns me most, because that is the nutrition going in the body as well.

Hey thats a nifty little trick,,, I didnt know Cell phones were "Microwave" I thought they were in the 800-900 mhz range,, ?
    Mobile phones use electromagnetic radiation in the microwave range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...ion_and_health
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

Microwave are designed to allow SOME electromagnetic radiation to escape. The simple fact that the light is visible through the glass door is proof of that.

However, the Faraday properties of the unit itself - including the mesh fabric in the window panel, is designed specifically to prevent escape of the microwaves in the 2.45 GHz range that the microwave itself generates. The fact that a cell phone will receive calls inside is irrelevant to the issue of oven safety because you're talking about a completely different frequency and wavelength all together.
    Last edited by Ken; 05-05-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Microwave are designed to allow SOME electromagnetic radiation to escape. The simple fact that the light is visible through the glass door is proof of that.

However, the Faraday properties of the unit itself - including the mesh fabrib in the window panel, is designed specifically to prevent escape of the microwaves in the 2.45 GHz range that the microwave itself generates. The fact that a cell phone will receive calls inside is irrelevant to the issue of oven safety because you're talking about a completely different frequency and wavelength all together.
    I guess I stand corrected. Then what if they do not get the call, nothing?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

I guess I stand corrected. Then what if they do not get the call, nothing?
    It's really not relevant and could result from a number of factors. The thing is, it's simply not a valid test of the oven's safety or "leakage."
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Banned

so would a microwave protect your electronics from an EMP ?

Blog Entries

"Checking Ovens For Leakage

There is little cause for concern about excess microwaves leaking from ovens unless the door hinges, latch, or seals are damaged. In FDA's experience, most ovens tested show little or no detectable microwave leakage. If there is some problem and you believe your oven might be leaking excessive microwaves, contact the oven manufacturer, a microwave oven service organization, your state health department, or the nearest FDA office.

A word of caution about the microwave testing devices being sold to consumers: FDA has tested a number of these devices and found them generally inaccurate and unreliable. If used, they should be relied on only for a very approximate reading. The sophisticated testing devices used by public health authorities to measure oven leakage are far more accurate and are periodically tested and calibrated."

http://www.fda.gov/radiation-emittin...cm142616.htm#8
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Nope. Want me to do a post about that?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Nope. Want me to do a post about that?
    Are you going to wear a tin foil hat ?

Blog Entries

Are you going to wear a tin foil hat ?
    Nope. Got one for you though.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

One of our friends here asked me that question in a PM. I copied a bit of my PM back to him in my reply above - here's the whole thing. It only covers the basics in a simplified way, but here it is:

EMP travels at close to the speed of light in very powerful waves similar to broad-band radio waves in the 10 kHz -100 MHz range.

A microwave oven is designed to act as a Faraday Cage only for the frequency range and wavelength in which the microwave oven itself operates, +/- a margin of safety. Even the glass door of the oven has a screen mesh to prevent the escape of waves OF THAT FREQUENCY AND WAVELENGTH.

However, unlike EMP (10 kHz -100 MHz range) microwave ovens generate waves in the 2.45 GHz range, usually with a substantially longer wavelength than EMP, which has a much wider range of wavelength simply because it is generated chaotically rather than by a finely tuned magnetron. Therefore, the "gaps" in the window mesh screen are much too wide to prevent most EMP waves from entering the oven.

Explained differently, light itself also travels in electromagnetic waves. However, the construction of the oven permits you to see the light through the glass panel - that light is visual proof that electromagnetic waves of a shorter wavelength and different frequency can pass through the oven, in BOTH directions, just as EMP can pass through in both directions.

EMP is a product of all nuclear explosions. Ground or low altitude detonations produce far less EMP than a detonation high above the Earth's atmosphere, particularly if an "Enhanced EMP" weapon - designed primarily to release EMP rather than for it's blast/heat/radiation effects - is employed.

EMP is created when the gamma radiation released by the explosion enters the upper atmosphere and strips electrons from air molecules, creating very powerful pulses of negatively charged electromagnetic radiation. These pulses race to the closest "ground" available (the Earth's surface) in a series of very powerful waves similar to broad-band radio waves in the 10 kHz -100 MHz range.

Just one nuclear bomb, detonated 100 to 200 miles above the earth, could literally saturate the continental United States with EMP, which is essentially an intense electronic surge, and could potentially "burn out" and render most civilian electronic equipment useless.

This phenomenon should not be confused with the damage caused by an electrical arc or a lightening bolt. Although the result to equipment is essentially the same, EMP acts like an immensely powerful radio wave rather than an electric current. Therefore, devices such as lightening arrestors are of no value with respect to EMP.

As you know, shielding is the only way to protect against EMP. The degree of equipment protection given by a Faraday Cage or similar shielding is highly dependent upon the strength and concentration of the waves striking the shield. Compare this to a sponge - it can absorb only so much water at a time. The construction of the shield and the intensity of the pulses (waves) are the determining factors.

At the very least, the electronic equipment being protected must be entirely insulated from the shield itself.

Microwave ovens are not designed to contain electromagnetic waves of the intensity one could expect from EMP. Since the oven is not designed to contain it, it stands to reason that it will likely not prevent it from entering, either.

Now let me digress.......Back when I taught NBC classes, I had some low-level radiation "sources" called "pellets" that were just about the size of a tic-tac mint. My students were trained to use radiological monitors to locate the pellets and measure the radioactive level and calculate "safe times" and "safe distances."

The pellets were normally kept stored in a locked lead cylinder with 4" thick walls all the way around. The top had a handle and was threaded to "screw in" place and the thing weighed a ton. It was called a "Pig."

This protection, the best available, was to contain the radioactivity of pellets that were extremely weak in terms of radioactivity - barely enough for training purposes in a location like a gymnasium or a fire department apparatus room. And even then, my more sophisticated equipment could still detect, up close, the radiation when the pellets were inside.

My suggestion in terms of the best, and probably most inexpensive, protection can be found in the roofing section of Home Depot or Lowes, in the form of rolls of lead roof sheeting. Take a look at this link - it's from a roof lead sheeting manufacturer.

http://www.maycoindustries.com/radiation_shielding.htm

This sheeting is extremely pliable - it will literally fold around an internal insulating material such as a wooden box, and it can be applied in layers as well.

As you know, lead is an extremely dense metal which offers tremendous protection from radioactivity and EMP. Unlike many Faraday-type cages or shields, it is not porous and leaves few, if any, avenues for "leakage."
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark