Thread: Boot Oil

Default Boot Oil

I got my Danner Elk Hunters today and I am need of some silicon boot treatment...I have never used it...so any good recommendations?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I have only used mink oil and snoseal on mine (not elk hunters, but other boots). I really like the snoseal. Not silicone (I think) but wax based.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

But, it only works on full grain leather. If your elk hunters aren't completely full grain, then a silicone spray maybe? Sorry I am no help here.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I went to the site and looked up the outer material, says "full grain leather".
    I would guess that they would come with recommendations from Danner ? (Made in USA, Good job!)
    That lacking, I would recommend mink oil as well, to start with, couple of applications then the Sno seal.
    That what I use on mine, (Remington),had them for over 20 years, and love them for "Out West" trips.
    Real good for mountains, up-land, high country, cactus (steel shanks), 11" uppers anckle protection and the lug soles. (do collect mud in the big, aggressive lugs)
    They will handle some snow, dew.

Cool (very cool) boots, but your original post talks about "swamp boots"?
    I guess they would not be my first choice for wet areas?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Neatsfoot Oil worked really well.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I went to the site and looked up the outer material, says "full grain leather".
    I would guess that they would come with recommendations from Danner ? (Made in USA, Good job!)
    That lacking, I would recommend mink oil as well, to start with, couple of applications then the Sno seal.
    That what I use on mine, (Remington),had them for over 20 years, and love them for "Out West" trips.
    Real good for mountains, up-land, high country, cactus (steel shanks), 11" uppers anckle protection and the lug soles. (do collect mud in the big, aggressive lugs)
    They will handle some snow, dew.

Cool (very cool) boots, but your original post talks about "swamp boots"?
    I guess they would not be my first choice for wet areas?
    Hunter maybe this will clear it up. I already have chippewah waterproof snakeproof to my knees boots, hip waders, chest waders. I wanted something lighter cooler for long trecks, not in the swamp but around them. The Elk Hunter is waterproof good for about 6 in. of careful wading. Guess my post was a little misleading. Danner specified silicone based treatment.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

I looked up reviews of that boot. Impressive long wearing boot. I read several accounts of people having the boots over ten years with a resole or two. You can send in the boots to be relined and resoled by the manufacturer. If they recommend silicone and those people used silicone based, it looks like you have a good boot. Now you got me considering a pair.

I do what Hunter suggested on my buffalo moccasins and have had them for 11 years two resoles and a good washing in woolite every fall.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Hunter maybe this will clear it up. I already have chippewah waterproof snakeproof to my knees boots, hip waders, chest waders. I wanted something lighter cooler for long trecks, not in the swamp but around them. The Elk Hunter is waterproof good for about 6 in. of careful wading. Guess my post was a little misleading. Danner specified silicone based treatment.
    Well there you go, that would be my decision, use what's recommended.
    And that did clear that up, but after your swamp pic' I was kinda ??????.

Anyway, Congrats, looks like a real good pair, like I said, had my Remingtons for over 20 years, but then again I don't wear tham every day.
    ( I probaly spend more money on boots and Moc's that any other kind of shoe I have, and you get what you pay for.)

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    I looked up reviews of that boot. Impressive long wearing boot. I read several accounts of people having the boots over ten years with a resole or two. You can send in the boots to be relined and resoled by the manufacturer. If they recommend silicone and those people used silicone based, it looks like you have a good boot. Now you got me considering a pair.

I do what Hunter suggested on my buffalo moccasins and have had them for 11 years two resoles and a good washing in woolite every fall.
    I am very impressed with them..like Hunter said you get what you pay for. They have a pretty substantial 2 yr warranty. Included is also an offer to have them completely reconditioned inside of think it was 20 yrs. Including resole, stitching repairs etc. I am going off memory so if I am wrong about any of this I'll repost. Kind of just browsed over the info. last night. I will contnue to give a review on the boots since it seems some are interested. I wore them a bit around the yard yesterday evening. They are very true to size, a little stiff but of course they are new. As always it requires some care to get the tongue to fold in correctly untill it takes a permanent set. More after a few more hours in them.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    Neatsfoot Oil worked really well.
    I didn't do too well on a pair of Redwings with neatsfoot. I could've done something wrong but the price was right and I "picked" up a quart at work and had stained boot socks for a month. I did find I used silicon spray on my last pair of Redwings because they called for it, and yes I got the silicone at work also. Those boots are linesman boots, more steel than the wife's new car yet I have worn them since around '93 and they will outlast me.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Sadly for me, being from Wisconsin, I was a big fan of Lacrosse boots, even had a small plant in Racine, WI.
    Back of my truck looked like a Lacrosse ad, chest waders, hip boots, 14"snake proof rubber boots, Pac's, light and heavy weight, and pac-moc's.........Made everywhere but USA, now.
    Glad to see your Danners are still made in the good old USA.
    How about Red Wings, still made in Red Wing MN. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I didn't do too well on a pair of Redwings with neatsfoot. I could've done something wrong but the price was right and I "picked" up a quart at work and had stained boot socks for a month. I did find I used silicon spray on my last pair of Redwings because they called for it, and yes I got the silicone at work also. Those boots are linesman boots, more steel than the wife's new car yet I have worn them since around '93 and they will outlast me.
    My socks were OD green and real dirty, so I guess I didn't notice.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880