Thread: Heating water with an aluminum water bottle

Default Heating water with an aluminum water bottle

So, I am going on a self-support kayaking trip on the Selway River next week, and due to space considerations I have to pack ultra-light. So, doing a little brain storming, I started thinking about not taking a stove and fuel.

So, I am thinking of taking one of those SIGG-type Aluminum/Stainless steel looking water bottles, and then filling it up with water and putting it in the fire to heat water to then pour into a backpacking/ MRE meal.

Will this work? Is this a good idea?
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Not familiar with the bottle you mentioned but just make sure it is single wall.

In Scouts we would always rub some soap on the bottom and sides of the pot to keep it from being too much of a PITA to clean the soot/black carbon crap off the outside of the pots. That stuff just gets everywhere and on everything if it's not cleaned off. So maybe grabbing a small nylon sack to put your bottle in when you are done is a good idea, seeing as how you probably won't want to pack extra soap/weight. Just my .02

It will work fine if, as RCKCRWLR it is a single wall bottle. If it is double walled, the added pressures will cause the bottle to rupture. I know you meant dehydrated/freeze dried meal (MRE's don't require water), but are you going to use it for water purification too? If not, a canteen or bottle and cup combo may work better - that way you only are boiling what you need to rehydrate your food, and will still have a cold water drinking supply.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

if it is aluminum, then it is lined with plastic. I know that the SIGG bottles are lined. If it is stainless, then it is not lined. I wouldn't put a plastic lined bottle on a heat source. But others have done it before and say nothing happened to them. I have a stainless one that I put in the fire all the time to heat water.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The water bottle is the one next to the chili can that says "lifeline green" on it. Notice that the threads are not plastic. Some metal bottles have plastic threads to save money. I wanted one that I could put in the fire and not melt the threads. Also, walmart just started selling this design for $5.

Also, I made a cozy for the bottle. I cut up some closed cell foam sleeping pad and duct taped it around to form the cozy. So, if it is winter, and I want my water to stay warm longer, I can put it in the cozy for insulation. Obviously the opposite works if I want the water to stay cold longer.
    Last edited by finallyME; 04-28-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Adding a cookpot and packing some of your gear inside the pot gives you cooking ability without taking up space. A 1 pound coffee can is excellent for this. No worries about dents or dings. When it is used up throw it away and buy more coffee.

I have been on many trips with nothing but a water bottle and a coffee can for cookgear.

It is not modern but the old GI canteen and cup is an excellent space saving choice. Made for exactly this situation.