Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Everything "DUTCH OVEN'ISH" (Good-Bad-Ugly)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coyote hunter View Post
    I would definitely buy a 12 inch deep, and my personal preference is the Lodge brand.

I agree the deep one will be the best for me, even if it is smaller. They have the deep ones on sale at Sportsmans Whorehouse, in Los Anchorage.

See? I knew you'd make it into the city. Check with Goodwill before you go spending your gold at the ..... well, before you go spending it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

OK, Dutch Oven FANS.........This is down to the final Vote.

"LODGE" Brand 14" Deep oven (5" Deep) 10 Quarts. for $99.99 (Reg. price $134.95)

or

"CAMP CHEF" Brand 12" Deep Oven (5" Deep) 8 Quarts for Only $49.99 (Reg. Price $65.99)

SO will I be twice as Happy with the LODGE Brand, for twice the money.......????

I have heard good things about the Camp Chef ovens

well i guess it depends upon your needs. How big are the roasts that you cook? if just cooking for yourself i would imagine the 8 qt would be the best.

Dutch ovens are something i do not have any experience with, i have 2 of them along with alot of pans and a few pots, i use 2 of my skillets daily but have not experimented with pots or ovens yet.

Lodge is great to own and i have a few of them also have some from GSW and they work well for the couple of bucks i paid for them, cleaning is like most folks, i boil out and every two years i throw them in my camp fire then cover inside and out with veg oil.
    in my opinion i would purchase the smaller one.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I haven't heard of camp chef until now. They sound good at least according to the review below. I don't know if they all have a reversible lit like the one mentioned but I like the full size skillet idea. I use my lodge lids like a griddle for pancakes or frying fish. It sounds like theirs is much deeper "skillet" implies it will containing liquid.

Below From:http://www.galttech.com/research/hou...dutch-oven.php

Camping Dutch Oven:
    There are really only 3 recognized dutch oven brands when it comes to camping - Lodge, Camp Chef, Maca. Our preference is the Camp Chef Cast Iron 6 qt ($30) - this 10" Sacagawea Lewis & Clark Edition has a reversible lid that turns into a full size skillet. It's great for potatoes or cobbler and serves 12-14 people. This dutch oven comes pre-seasoned and includes a lid lifter, starter booklet with seasoning tips, sample bread recipe, dessert recipe, and main dish recipe. The Maca dutch ovens come in aluminum or cast iron and meant for larger group gatherings. The 13" 12-quart Maca dutch oven runs about $90 and serves up to 64 people. You can do whole chickens, small turkeys, roasts, etc. The #1 name in camp, or dutch, ovens is Lodge (see all Lodge dutch ovens here). The Lodge 10" Dutch Oven ($54) is great for soups, corn bread, and other side dishes or main dishes. The pre-seasoned dutch oven is ready to go when it comes in the mail and many owners say the chili this thing produces in camp is perfect.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would like to thank everyone who helped educate me about Dutch Ovens. I have not made a final decision on which one, but at least I now know what is important in that choice, and perhaps more important what to avoid. Thank you, well done.....

Not to sound like a total idiot but does it cost a lot more to have something shipped up to you ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coyote hunter View Post
    Not to sound like a total idiot but does it cost a lot more to have something shipped up to you ?

For SURE.......the Oven that sells for 49.99 on sale in Anchorage. I can Order for $64.95 """""""PLUS""""" $123.00 SHIPPING. Shipping is a killer.
    I want a good Wood COOK stove, but the shipping is $1,800.00 just the shipping.

Default Shipping

Sourdough, you probably thought of this but...why not have someone who is driving over for the jamboree bring you the things you need that would be particularly expensive to ship?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Sourdough, you probably thought of this but...why not have someone who is driving over for the jamboree bring you the things you need that would be particularly expensive to ship?

The expense is shipping from America. I can go to Los Anchorage for $80.00 worth of Diesel Fuel. And It is not in my nature to ask for help, it makes me look weak in my eyes.

I've always said, "Better to look weak than spend $80 on diesel fuel." I've said that a lot. I really have.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Getting help from ones friends does not make one weak, but rather strengthens the bonds of friendship.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

YOU'D do it for a friend wouldn't you?
    Believe me, if I were coming it would've been no problem. You order whatever you need, ship it to my address and if I were driving over for the shindig, I'd just bring it along. No big deal.

i looked at my stove tonight, my 12in skillet is a wagoner, not bad, my 8 in skillet is a lodge, the 8in wieghs more than the 12in, but the wagoner was a deal at a thrift store and i probably use it more than any other skillet, ifn i had to run quick it would be the first thing that i grabbed
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well I got the last $30.00 refund on my 2006 Federal Taxes and kicked in a wee bit and with some arm twisting, whining/haggling/small amount of begging/and only pulled my gun one time. I got the "Lewis & Clark Edition, "ULTIMATE" Dutch Oven by Camp Chef.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post

NO.....that is not it. This has a Heat Cone in the center and racks for making biscuits at the same time as making stew, and it is Deep and 9.5 Quarts. Part # UDO14
    Last edited by Sourdough; 07-27-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Congrats!! Now we expect to see posts in the "What did you cook today and how?" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    NO.....that is not it. This has a Heat Cone in the center and racks for making biscuits at the same time as making stew, and it is Deep and 9.5 Quarts. Part # UDO14
    Wow! An even better deal. http://www.campchef.com/store/item/1...cast_iron.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel