Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everything "DUTCH OVEN'ISH" (Good-Bad-Ugly)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Everything "DUTCH OVEN'ISH" (Good-Bad-Ugly)

I found @ Walmart a porcelain coated Cast Iron 6 Quart Dutch'ish Pot. Easy to clean. $74.99 Anchorage.

Also several Aluminum 3 Qt. to 6 Qt. very light, Extremely LIGHT, Real world Back-pack-able. $38.00 to $58.00 Anchorage.

And Many Cast Iron "Dutch Ovens" up to 16" in Diameter (Guessing 12 Quart). These would be hard to clean in in a TEOTWAWKI event with no cleaning materials. $35.00 to $109.00 Anchorage.

Also some were much deeper, sometimes twice as deep, I should think this would be very good for avoiding boil overs when pit cooking.

I want to do a pit Dutch Oven meal at the Alaska Jamboree, and I want to own a good Dutch Oven.

Thanks for any real world or even "Googled" Information.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 04-29-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Oh, yeah. You might any second hand stores in the area like Goodwill. I've picked up some very nice, Lodge and Griswold cast iron locally.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Most of my cast iron is made by Lodge. It should be seasoned first even if the manufacturer states that it is already seasoned (Just my opinion). I use Lodge's instructions.

Seasoning your cast iron
    http://www.dutchovencookware.com/lodge-cookware.html

Legs or no legs
    I have two kinds of duct oven. One had three short legs and the others have a flat bottom. The legged ovens can be placed on top of coals and doesn't require a tripod or a fire set to hang from. The flat bottom ovens need to be suspended over the fire.

Fire set to hang your oven
    I usually hang the oven legs or not because it gives better control of heat. When cooking over an open fire it is better to cook over a good bed of coals then direct flame. It provides a complete even heating and prevents scorching of your foods from hot spots. My fire pit is large enough to allow for a fire on one side so that coals can be shoveled to the cooking area.

This fire set video shows how to use a fire set and its basic form. This one is versatile because it can also be used as a spit by placing the J ended irons vertical in the ground with the loop ended iron over the J hooks. You can lower the looped iron with S hooks to get closer to the fire. THe tripod limits how much you can hang over the fire. using a spit set up you can set two large ovens over the fire. Both companies are good people and I purchase from them almost yearly.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Sorry about the Video
    Tripod Video from JAS Townsand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtuIpkMaVBI

The tripod has two irons that have a J hook formed at the top which are placed in the loop of the third iron to lock in the top of the tripod. The video suggests that the two J legs are placed in the ground several inches at a bout 20 to 24 inches apart. The loop of the third leg is placed over the J legs which are crossed just below the hooks. This creates a stable tripod. You can suspend your oven below with S hooks and a chain to vary the hight form the fire.

Spit set up. Turkey foot traders
    http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/images/fire_set.jpg

There are several methods for judging heat, By hand and counting coals are the main two. this link covers the subject pretty well. I usually judge by feel which took a bit of practice. Of course watching the level of boil how much smoke from oil in the oven and indicators of heat level are also a good thing to know.
    Judging heat Dutch Oven Cooking:
    http://www.dutchovendude.com/campfire-cooking.shtml

I have a few cook books and can send a few recipes, what kinds of food were you thinking about cooking??

By the way acidic foods in cast iron can taste like iron unless the oven is well seasoned. If I cook with tomatoes its in a well seasoned oven or skillet and added at the last minute to just warm it up. The porcelain lined oven is great because you will not have that worry.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, yeah. You might any second hand stores in the area like Goodwill. I've picked up some very nice, Lodge and Griswold cast iron locally.

NOT, a viable option. It cost me $80.00 for fuel to go to Anchorage.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    . what kinds of food were you thinking about cooking??
    Wild Game (Moose). This would not be for day to day use. By TEOTWAWKI event.

If you can find used cast iron, be sure there are no cracks and only has light rust. If there is pitting you will never get it seasoned properly and the pits are impossible to clean. I have brought back into use lightly rusted cast. I have taken course steel wool and wire brushes to clean up cast iron and managed to salvage a few pieces.

SD thanks I didn't want to assume.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

Default Found some Moose Recipes

SD got me thinking about recipes. How do you cook a moose? I couldn't find any moose on a spit but found this site with recipes for wild game. The only thing wild I have cooked is venison or fish. So I did some looking to get an idea of any considerations made in the preparation of moose, elk, or other wild game. This site has recipes for frog to bear to raccoon....... This should be interesting.

http://www.wildgamerecipes.org/
    Karl

Love my Dutch ovens, mostly Lodge and a couple of old Griswold's.
    Love baking in them as well as general stews, soups, roasts.

I think a porcelain coated Cast Iron, might be a good idea, never tried one, as most of our use is primitive.

We generally "boil out" cast iron for cleaning, and re-season.

Note, I have not tried this, but was talking with a guy, the sorta specializes in buying old cast iron, cleaning them and selling at Rendezvous: He uses his self cleaning house oven set on "clean".

If I find any more pans or ovens, I'll wait till DW decides to "clean", and try it.

Thanks Karl, real good list of references.........
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-28-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

In a pinch, sand and water gets it pretty clean.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    In a pinch, sand and water gets it pretty clean.

YES, but what if there was no sand, or winter for 6 months solid. If it was for ever and ever, say the next 40 years, would I wish I had Porceline.....?
    Last edited by Sourdough; 04-28-2010 at 12:42 PM.

I love dutch ovens. I cook in them as often as I possibly can.

Everything just seems to taste better when cooked in a dutch oven... I don't know why.

Anything you can cook in a regular kitchen oven can be cooked in a dutch oven. I once watched a guy cook a very successful soufle in his dutch oven. It was delicious. I'm not that talented with my ovens yet, but then again, I can't do a soufle in a regular oven either.

Personally, I don't care for the dutch ovens that don't have the legs. That's strictly a personal preference and I know others like the flat bottom ovens. I just find it a lot more difficult to regulate the heat with ovens that don't have the legs.

Although I own a few different brands, I have developed a real preference for the Lodge brand. My preference for Lodge seems to be pretty commonly held as they just seem to distribute heat the most evenly. My other ovens do work just fine. Lodge just seems to have just a little extra.... something.

Cooking with dutch ovens is not difficult, but it does take some practice. For the most part I use the briquette-counting method for obtaining proper heat. Individual tolerances for heat can make estimating temperature by feel difficult to teach to a novice dutch oven cook. Counting briquettes is easier, you can put together a little graph for reference, and it is generally more accurate - except perhaps for those who cook with their dutch ovens enough to really get the "feel" down. I'm not there yet, but I'm progressing... slowly.

Whatever you do; don't leave your dutch ovens for use only in an "end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it" scenario. They are too much fun to use and the food you can get is too tasty to miss out on. So too, you will want some experience to draw upon so that in time of real need, the food you produce is edible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    YES, but what if there was no sand, or winter for 6 months solid. If it was for ever and ever, say the next 40 years, would I wish I had Pourcline.....?
    You don't use traditional cleaning products at all with a dutch oven. Putting dish soap in them completely destroys the seasoning you spend so much time and effort developing. There really are only two appropriate ways to clean the oven:

1. As already mentioned, you can "boil" out the ovens. As with Hunter63, this is my preferred method of cleaning. Just plain hot water and something to scrub with. NO SOAP!

2. You can burn everything out. Once you've served as much as you can you place the oven back on the fire and let it burn everything off. Some periodic scrubbing and dumping can make the process quicker but again, NO SOAP! If you've got fire to cook with, you've got fire to clean with.

Once you're done you coat the oven with a light layer of oil (I prefer vegetable oils as opposed to animal fats) and you're done.

You could use just about anything to scrub with. I wouldn't particularly care for sand as it will abrade the nice patina that is the hallmark of a properly-seasoned dutch oven, but if that was all that was available, it would work. Store-bought scrubbies (whether metal or plastic) work well as do sponges, rags, tree/brush branches, snow, etc.
    Last edited by lucznik; 04-28-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Titanium Cookware Versus Copper And Brass

ARTICLE

"Titanium cookware is showcased as silvery metallic elements that became one of the best cookware nowadays. It is an ideal and popular type, suitable for most households. Titanium has healthy cooking advantages.

Cookware is made of different materials. And these materials have varying characteristics that can either be useful or disadvantageous to cooking. Most of these cooking items are made of copper and brass. Some are made of titanium.

Titanium cookware has the highest strength-to-weight ratio compared to many different metals. It is considered a durable, lightweight cookware. Many industries and households have switched to titanium pans, for healthy living and cooking. The high cost actually pays off in the long run.

Titanium cookware is advantageous in many ways. It has a patented non-stick, high-tech abrasion-resistant surface finishing. It is therefore highly resistant to scratches. You can even use metal utensils for stirring.

It secures a fine grip because of its heat-resistant handles. It is screw-less and rivet-less. Its handles, knobs and lids can be oven proof (up to 260oC).

The thermostatic base is impossible to warp in years of daily use. It definitely looks new, classy and elegant even after a long time of use.

The 8 mm thick hand cast aluminum core can conduct heat seven times as compared to steel or iron. This provides even heat distribution as well as retention for evenly cooked meals. No oil or water is required. It even keeps the food from burning.

Titanium layers are non-porous, very resistant to warps, and durable. It prevents aluminum from leaking onto the food. It also gives indirect heat for a perfect cooking atmosphere. Glass lids are heat-resistant, allowing the viewing of the cooking process.

Titanium cookwares weigh less than cast iron pots and pans. It is good for people with arthritis. Its lightweight nature is ideal for camping and backpacking adventures.

Titanium cookware is non-porous, posing no potential harmful poisons and toxins that can make their way onto the food you cook. It is ideal for health-conscious individuals because the non-stick feature requires lesser amount of oil to cook. Having less cooking oil is a healthy way to eliminate much fat or calories.
    Titanium cookwares are also heat quickly and evenly, and easy to clean after use. It works on any stove top. It is dishwasher safe. It has an anti-bacterial coating (titanium dioxide). This kills nasty bugs that cause food poisoning.

Titanium cookware is considered as a perfect material for cooking with class. Popular forms are open French skillet, stir-fry pans, stock pots, sierra cup, multi-compact cook set, sauce pans and backpacking cook set.

With the onset of titanium, it is often compared side by side with brass and copper. Although these last two materials have been used for many years already in manufacturing cookware, it has disadvantages. First and most important of all is its high ability to rust and corrode, and thereby contaminating the foods cooked. Although copper and brass cookware is lined with non-corrosive materials, it wears off after several washing.

This is what sets apart the titanium. For the same rate of durability and usefulness, titanium is proven to be safer. More and more cooks are switching to titanium cookware because of the obvious advantages."

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Titanium Oval Dutch Oven

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://www.pillsburystore.com/p-6765...-Titanium.aspx
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

I think a porcelain coated Cast Iron, might be a good idea, never tried one, as most of our use is primitive.
    I just thought of something else. My sister called me a few months ago because she wanted to buy a dutch oven for her husband's birthday and she was asking me about some porcelain-coated cast iron pots she had found at a Sportsman's Warehouse. She told me the makes and models and I Googled them. What I noticed was that they all had domed lids. What this means is that you would not be able to place coals on top. This makes them O.K. for use in a regular kitchen and where all the heat is from a stove but, definitely unsuited to camping and/or survival chores. Having coals on top is critical to successful dutch oven cooking.

So anyway, the point is that whatever dutch oven you buy, make sure it has a flat lid with a lip so that you can place coals on top.

Ken,

That there titanium stove sure looks nice but, it costs $200!!! Definitely out of my price range.
    Last edited by lucznik; 04-28-2010 at 06:09 PM.

The next 40 years? Seriously, though, 20 or 25.....maybe. I'm right there with you. You might make it longer than that but someone else will be doing the cooking at the Wilderness Survival Home.

The International Dutch Oven Society (IDOS) has lots of good info. http://www.idos.com/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    So anyway, the point is that whatever dutch oven you buy, make sure it has a flat lid with a lip so that you can place coals on top.

Good Point, Thank You.

I would definitely buy a 12 inch deep, and my personal preference is the Lodge brand. I have some friends that tried the cheaper ones and they said that they didn`t heat evenly. Needless to say they now own Lodge`s ! lol A friend of mine bear hunted in British Columbia a few years ago and brought back a recipe for moose stroganoff in a dutch oven. If you are interested in that I can try to get the recipe. I am going to fix a bear roast in the dutch oven this weekend.