Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A non drivers Back up BOB

Blog Entries

Well to give you all a laugh, I actually "road tested" my main BOB in the garden. I spent 2 comfy nights and a 3rd not so comfy(I ran out of tea and chocolate, that's been remedied) It gave me a chance to see what worked, what didn't, what I needed and what was useless. The postman thought I'd completely lost the plot. As the only member of the F.A.R.T European Division it also gave me that little bit more confidence.
    Oh the other thing I did was take it for a walk. I managed to comfortably carry it for about 4 miles.

Edit; I agree that Bee's situation is a far more difficult one to be in. Just another thought though Bee, can you rent a drop box somewhere long term to store a BOB?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    I have always thought that your type of situation (big city) probably poses more challenges in the prep area than those of us in the more urban settings. In general, what kind of things do you keep at work? I am fairly certain that it will have to be sans weapons.
    I have a small, very light day-pack (7.5oz tops) with the following inside:

* Maps of Manhattan & outer boroughs, subway & bus
    * House key, $200 in small bills & roll of quarters, bus/subway card
    * Surefire LED flashlight, matches, Bic lighter
    * Victorinox Fieldmaster tool
    * Mace (Pepper spray)
    * Smoke Hood 15-20 min of breathable air (never tested)
    * Basic first aid stuff, antibacterial hand cleanser, personal hygiene stuff
    * Change of clothing, old hiking shoes, rain poncho, space blanket, gloves
    * Sunglasses & reading glasses
    * 3, 16oz bottles of H2O, 6 Zone bars, assorted packets of instant Miso soup, coffee, oatmeal, sm. bag of raw almonds & walnuts.
    * Titanium mug

These things stay in the pack permanently.
    Then there's the purse carry that has some of the same things as above.

I am constantly changing things, evolving really into making smarter choices for where I am and the limitations I live with.

Good show both of you!! Practice does make perfect or pretty darn good at least.

Benesse - Check to see if this is the hood you have.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/PRHTML06/06144.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's probably true and I hope it always is but it could be a dangerous assumption if something bad happened...again.
    Rick, you are absolutely right and I can think of endless scenarios far worse than before, where putting my head between my knees, etc., etc. would most likely be my best option.
    Without going nuts (so easy to do) about every single what if, I am trying to reasonably prepare for the most likely and build from there.
    And you know, some things may not even be worth surviving when you really think about it. I don't often "go there" but it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Good show both of you!! Practice does make perfect or pretty darn good at least.

Benesse - Check to see if this is the hood you have.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/PRHTML06/06144.html

It's this one-- http://www.bestsafetyapparel.com/broflima.html but I only got 2 single ones from Amazon (for me & Mr. B)
    Sounds good on paper although I wish I heard from someone first hand who used it.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I have a small, very light day-pack (7.5oz tops) with the following inside:

* Maps of Manhattan & outer boroughs, subway & bus
    * House key, $200 in small bills & roll of quarters, bus/subway card
    * Surefire LED flashlight, matches, Bic lighter
    * Victorinox Fieldmaster tool
    * Mace (Pepper spray)
    * Smoke Hood 15-20 min of breathable air (never tested)
    * Basic first aid stuff, antibacterial hand cleanser, personal hygiene stuff
    * Change of clothing, old hiking shoes, rain poncho, space blanket, gloves
    * Sunglasses & reading glasses
    * 3, 16oz bottles of H2O, 6 Zone bars, assorted packets of instant Miso soup, coffee, oatmeal, sm. bag of raw almonds & walnuts.
    * Titanium mug

These things stay in the pack permanently.
    Then there's the purse carry that has some of the same things as above.

I am constantly changing things, evolving really into making smarter choices for where I am and the limitations I live with.
    Looks like a good kit! Smoke hood indicates just what different challenges we face and yes I can see the importance of it although I would not have thought of it. I wonder how many may have been saved on 9-11 with such preparations? Being at what is sure to be ground zero would keep me nervous all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I agree that Bee's situation is a far more difficult one to be in. Just another thought though Bee, can you rent a drop box somewhere long term to store a BOB?
    Winnie, I am on the fence about it because everything reasonably close is in high rise buildings. Then there are some outside of Manhattan, (off the island) and I am just not sure which way I'll end up bugging out depending on what particular SHTF.
    Even though it might make sense, it's not realistic for me to cache in 3 different locations just in case one of them ends up being more convenient.
    Feels like I am either playing chess, or gambling.

Benesse,, Thank you for sharing that. Well thought out. Like AS says, both you and Winnie have a different environment than many here and you both seem to be heads and shoulders above the masses. Congratulations to both of you, and may you never have to use your kits.

Perhaps the only addition you may consider if space is available are a set of goggles (the type to keep dust out) as I recall that was a big issue on 9/11. Would go a long way on your being able to see when and or if you have to go.
    Last edited by Pal334; 04-23-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: my suggestion
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Looks like a good kit! Smoke hood indicates just what different challenges we face and yes I can see the importance of it although I would not have thought of it. I wonder how many may have been saved on 9-11 with such preparations? Being at what is sure to be ground zero would keep me nervous all the time.
    One doesn't have to be too imaginative to conjure up the possibilities. And if I allowed myself, I would definitely be much more nervous than I already am.

Would a small transister radio to stay apprized of emergency broadcasts be advisable?

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Benesse,, Thank you for sharing that. Well thought out. Like AS says, both you and Winnie have a different environment than many here and you both seem to be heads and shoulders above the masses. Congratulations to both of you, and may you never have to use your kits.

Perhaps the only addition you may consider if space is available are a set of goggles (the type to keep dust out) as I recall that was a big issue on 9/11. Would go a long way on your being able to see when and or if you have to go.
    Great point!
    I have them at home but I really should have them in my work pack.That, and a short wave radio. We already each have one in our home BOBs, and one just for home use. This survival proposition is getting real expensive--seems like it might be cheaper to just "buy the farm" when the time comes.

Great point!
    I have them at home but I really should have them in my work pack.That, and a short wave radio. We already each have one in our home BOBs, and one just for home use. This survival proposition is getting real expensive--seems like it might be cheaper to just "buy the farm" when the time comes.
    Maybe the cheap ones at the Home Depot type store would work. Under $5 each, not great optical clarity, but would be an eye full of dust.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Would a small transister radio to stay apprized of emergency broadcasts be advisable?
    Absolutely!
    Should have one in the work BOB--it's been in the back of my mind but have been putting it off.

Blog Entries

Ah, now here's something else I've been thinking on. My reliance on batteries. I'm giving some thought about getting a couple of these;
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=388758

Still thinking about it. Are they worth the money?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info Sjj, I'll bear what you've said in mind. I'm a complete techno dolly, so have very little idea of how these things work!

Would you pay $12 for that radio? Minimum purchase is $25.

https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/advgsa/...umber=EL030004
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    This is my favorite. Doesn't hurt that it is inexpensive. Keep loaded with 2AA lithium. http://www.countycomm.com/gp4light.htm

Your surefire is a mighty fine light. I think lighting deserve redundancy. I personally would "also" carry a very small AA flashlight that will last a very long time.

I'm very impressed with both Benesse's and Winnie's prepardness efforts. Makes me feel good about this forum.
    Thanks sjj, I just ordered it. Love the size, the price is right and the fact that you're recommending it...well, priceless.

Benesse,

I believe you will be happy with the radio. I know you have already ordered, but just wanted to say that depending on where you are at, if you want to get decent function from the short wave its best to have the little "retreivable" thin wire antenna they also sell if you don't already have such and/or handy enough to make your own. In my case, Short Wave just barely comes in regardless. If things haven't changed, it will come with little ear buds, but any ear buds will work. Use of the ear buds will extend the battery life double at least. They are small enough that I would include them in the kit.

You probably noticed that they sell these little radios wrapped in military/government brown paper bag. Truth is they drop these out of airplanes to third world folks during emergencies. They have always worked for me and I like them, my favorite - but do not expect big radio sound with their little speakers or you will be dissapointed.

If I had known you were going to be making an order - I would have suggested a couple other things they offer
    Suggest away please!
    Between my BOB, my husband's BOB, and each one of our work packs, I'm always moving things around between the 4, trying to improve, save space, anticipate a new need, etc. etc. It helps enormously to have a personal recommendation of someone who's opinion & experience I respect.

You are too quick. You copied and pasted before I was finished editing. I had deleted my offer of suggestion for other stuff - because I can't stand the pressure.

You can't imagine pressure 'til you try to assemble stuff, you have no personal experience with for a need that might or might not arise in a place where anything can happen.

Blog Entries

You can't imagine pressure 'til you try to assemble stuff, you have no personal experience with for a need that might or might not arise in a place where anything can happen.
    I'll take your word for it Bee! It's been bad enough deciding what's necessary for me. I don't mean any offence, but I'd hate to be in your shoes, there's a whole other bunch of stuff you have to think about!