Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A non drivers Back up BOB

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I'll take your word for it Bee! It's been bad enough deciding what's necessary for me. I don't mean any offence, but I'd hate to be in your shoes, there's a whole other bunch of stuff you have to think about!
    No offense taken Winnie, you are absolutely right.
    Actually living with the target on your back is not nearly as hard as the knowledge that you can't prepare for it properly even when you know how.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    No offense taken Winnie, you are absolutely right.
    Actually living with the target on your back is not nearly as hard as the knowledge that you can't prepare for it properly even when you know how.
    I think more are in that situation than is known. I have studied luck using scientific methods and while odds can be affected the only control you have over luck is to open the door to possibilties. There is a diffrerence between possibility and probability. If you buy a lottery ticket the odds of winning are 1 in a million but infinately greater than not buying the ticket. Give yourself a fighting chance and you have done your part. You may be able to change the odds with more preparation but you can't change your luck. No matter what the odds only one lottery ticket is drawn and when the time comes you will be locked into one coarse of action. Your odds may be bad, but hows your luck?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I think more are in that situation than is known. I have studied luck using scientific methods and while odds can be affected the only control you have over luck is to open the door to possibilties. There is a diffrerence between possibility and probability. If you buy a lottery ticket the odds of winning are 1 in a million but infinately greater than not buying the ticket. Give yourself a fighting chance and you have done your part. You may be able to change the odds with more preparation but you can't change your luck. No matter what the odds only one lottery ticket is drawn and when the time comes you will be locked into one coarse of action. Your odds may be bad, but hows your luck?
    That's all I'm trying to do--change the odds & hedge my bets.
    As for luck, I never count on it. I could say that I've been lucky so far but that can change in a millisecond. Just don't want to be there when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    That's all I'm trying to do--change the odds & hedge my bets.
    As for luck, I never count on it. I could say that I've been lucky so far but that can change in a millisecond. Just don't want to be there when it does.
    I never discount luck, good or bad. I said this as how I deal with things to remove worry. Once I have done what I can It's time to just accept whatever happens. I have come to about the end of my preparations and will for all intents and purposes be putting my preparations in a box only to be opened in case of emergency. I have already gotten away from other forums that talk politics and other types of disaster because I have made my preparations to deal with it when it comes. Why think about it anymore? I have 2 projects yet to complete and when done I probably will not even give any of this stuff a second thought, just put it all in a box and hope all it does is gather dust. I'm getting back to the life I knew before I became aware. I was happier then and now I will be happy and prepared.

Blog Entries

Just ad a thought Bee. If space is a constraint on your work pack, how about a pair of cheapy swimming goggles? they take up no room at all.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj
    but I understand that is not because they are stealth; rather, don't want to drive customers away.
    The only known photo of our president.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Benesse et. al. - Don't lose site of the fact that you start preparing for the most probable event (most likely weather related or fire) and work your way toward the least likely event. All of us are in that boat but we want to spend our resources where we get the biggest bang for our bucks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Just ad a thought Bee. If space is a constraint on your work pack, how about a pair of cheapy swimming goggles? they take up no room at all.
    You just reminded me that I do have a pair of motorcycle goggles that I bought years ago to keep the wind and debris out of my eyes during particularly windy days in the city. They look just like these and take little room. (now where did I put them?)
    Last edited by BENESSE; 07-05-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Try THAT drawer in the kitchen, you know the one.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Winnie, I have added another thing to the kit that I would ordinarily have anyway just made it more useful. I made a belt using strap material and a 3 dollar buckle I purchased at REI. They have a small section with different kinds of plastic fittings to customize straps that I have found to be great for backpacking. I also save plastic fittings whenever I find them.

Backpacking gets you thinking about dual purposes and this style belt will do much more than hold the kit on my hip or hold my pants up. It is capable of complete adjustment and can be used as a cinch strap, tourniquet, and is wide enough to be wraped several times to apply pressure or be used as splint. Heavy enough to be used as climbing harness in emergency situation and propably a alot purposes that will not occur to me until the situation arrises. It is also soft enough to be worn over shoulder as strap to carry a load.

Blog Entries

Well, I've finished putting it together now. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

My curiousity is peaked. Can't wait.

Blog Entries

Ooops! Forgot! Later.

Blog Entries

So here it is. Bear in mind this is for emergencies, and not a wilderness survival pack.
    The contents are:
    Emergency shelter and cordage
    2 emergency blankets
    Waterproof jacket
    plastic bin liner
    disposable dishcloths
    2 main meals, cereal bars, packet soup.
    Basic first aid kit.
    Mess tin
    Enamel cup
    Lighter with torch
    mini lantern
    fuel tabs
    penknife
    3 pairs socks(with underwear)
    Pair PJ's
    Toothbrush
    Baby wetwipes
    Hairbrush

There's also 2L bottle of water and my wellington boots in the shed.

I still haven't put in tea and coffee, and I want to store each subdivision in ziplock bags. It's not exhaustive, but it covers the basics if need be.
    Last edited by Winnie; 05-14-2010 at 02:50 PM.

I like it. Looks like some useful items. I think I have a better understanding of what you are trying do seeing your kit. I have one concern that you may want to do something about having warmth. Does it get cold in England? If it does I would consider gloves, wool scarf and a wool hat or what ever you need to stay warm in your environment. The waterproof coat makes good sense if it is warm enough by itself. One item you may be interested in are survival candles. I have seen them with as many a six wicks and can be used for light, heat and even cooking. I have some that cost about 5 dollars and will burn 36 hours on one wick, 24 on two or 12 hours on all three and produce enough heat to heat small space like an automobile if stranded. Easier and faster than building a fire. They could replace your lantern and stove.

Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 05-12-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Blog Entries

I suppose cold is relative AS! Compared to what you suffer, no. But I think -12 C IS! The socks are thermal, and I'm not sure how well those survival blanket things work, and to be honest I hadn't thought of hats etc. Many will tell you here I'm hopeless at starting a fire with one of those firestarter things (two have been hurled at speed over the fence in frustration), hence the fuel tabs and lighter to get a fire going. I like the look of those candles though, I can see the sense in having a couple of those in there. Thankyou!

Looks like a good setup. Good start
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Nice start Winnie.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel