Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A non drivers Back up BOB

Blog Entries

Default A non drivers Back up BOB

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. Most of you have BOBs in your vehicles that can act as a back up. Now I have no idea how many other members don't drive and therefore maybe don't have a 2nd BOB. So these are just my thoughts on an idea. I've recently started putting a few bits and peices together in a small Rucksack for storage in my shed. This seemed the most sensible place for me to have a 2nd BOB, just in case. It doesn't have the same "stuff" my main BOB has, but will do for a night or two and it's accessible, if for some reason I can't get into the house. I did worry that as the main BOB is by the back door, what if I had to use another exit? All my plans would have been for nought. Just a few musings that might be of use.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Good thought. Always good to have an alternative in place that best suits your situation. Is a good reminder that preparations are not a "cookie cutter " process
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Winnie, I don't have a car nor another BOB. (I do drive, and rent cars any time I feel like getting out of the city) My BOB is under my bed so if I happen to be elsewhere, say at work, I'm out of luck. NYC is extremely impractical when it comes to owning cars or having caches. That's just a limitation I am learning to live with 'til I figure out something that makes more sense. However, my wheels are always turning for a better plan.

Banned

I dont think anybody can be "Too Prepared"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Winnie, I don't have a car nor another BOB. (I do drive, and rent cars any time I feel like getting out of the city) My BOB is under my bed so if I happen to be elsewhere, say at work, I'm out of luck. NYC is extremely impractical when it comes to owning cars or having caches. That's just a limitation I am learning to live with 'til I figure out something that makes more sense. However, my wheels are always turning for a better plan.
    Bee, the stuff I've collected together including food fits into a very small Rucksack with dimesions of about 12"x18"x6". Could you keep a tiny one like that at work?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Winnie - To add to your thoughts. My bag is designed to get me home. If I happen to be in the city (or anywhere else) and something happens then I want to make certain I can get home. Of course, I also want it to sustain me if I break down in the back country (not a whole lot of that around here) or need something "extra" when I'm out in the woods.

If you ride the bus or other public transportation then a rucksack would be just the thing to get you back home. Most are unobtrusive and won't draw attention to you, which is exactly what you want.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Now there's another thought! This little Rucksack would be perfect! It's not stuffed full and doesn't weigh much. I posted a couple of pics of what I got to go in it, in the "What did you do this week....." thread. The water carrier is for the house though Although thinking about it......
    Last edited by Winnie; 04-23-2010 at 12:52 PM.

I tried to put together the smallest kit I thought would be of any practical use that may be useful. It is bigger than an Altoid tin but should still fit in your purse with room for your normal stuff too. It all fits in the black pouch that has belt loops on it except Sierra cup and measures about 3x6 inches. In the blue stuff sack is a 5x7 foot poncho.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

To the right of the BIC is a monocular...correct? I just wanted to make certain it wasn't another flashlight.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    To the right of the BIC is a monocular...correct? I just wanted to make certain it wasn't another flashlight.
    Yes and there is a magnifying glass folded into to the compass too. My eyesight isn't what it once was. Someday I may adding a cane and box of Depends. Thanks for drawing attention to my age.

You're most welcome. I try to help when I can. Don't feel bad, however. I'm looking for an all terrain wheelchair to keep me going.

Blog Entries

That IS small AS. I think I've covered all the bases with what I've got/getting for my situation. Once it's all together I'll take a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Bee, the stuff I've collected together including food fits into a very small Rucksack with dimesions of about 12"x18"x6". Could you keep a tiny one like that at work?
    I do have some basic stuff at work but it's hardly a BOB.
    One advantage of living & working in Manhattan is that I can always make it home on foot in less than an hour and to either river in 1/2hr.
    Central Park (843 acres) is also very close, and as I'm learning, has all sorts of wild edibles year round.
    Guess it could be better but it could be a lot worse too.

You're most welcome. I try to help when I can. Don't feel bad, however. I'm looking for an all terrain wheelchair to keep me going.

This is the kind of caring and compassion I am counting on in my Golden years.

Here's mine:
    Last edited by BENESSE; 07-05-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    That IS small AS. I think I've covered all the bases with what I've got/getting for my situation. Once it's all together I'll take a pic.
    You should also try to use things in as many ways as you can. The less you carry the more creative you have to be.

Blog Entries

The main BOB covers all of that and more, Sjj. This little one is in case I can't get to it. I thought it may be worth sharing

I like hiking/ultralight back packing and have been doing it long enough to see the evolution of gear and techniques. The old school way was just not carry it. Making do with a wool blanket and a few odds and ends rolled inside it. Advances in materials and design has made it possible to bring much more and still keeping it to a weight you don't notice. I use mine as one step in a progression of kits. This kit fits into a pocket of my fanny pack that has more and it straps to my pack that has even more. If I understand OP correctly your intention is to always have access to it which adds size limitations to the equation. There has been much posted on pocket carry items that may give you some ideas. It's hard to carry much in a small package but I think on things that will be helpful to improvise other things into what you need and only carry what you can't otherwise make is the approach I take.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 04-23-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I do have some basic stuff at work but it's hardly a BOB.
    One advantage of living & working in Manhattan is that I can always make it home on foot in less than an hour and to either river in 1/2hr.
    Central Park (843 acres) is also very close, and as I'm learning, has all sorts of wild edibles year round.
    Guess it could be better but it could be a lot worse too.
    I have always thought that your type of situation (big city) probably poses more challenges in the prep area than those of us in the more urban settings. In general, what kind of things do you keep at work? I am fairly certain that it will have to be sans weapons.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Benesse
    I can always make it home on foot in less than an hour and to either river in 1/2hr.
    That's probably true and I hope it always is but it could be a dangerous assumption if something bad happened...again.