Thread: Wild Plants - wildmanstevebrill

Blog Entries

Default Wild Plants - wildmanstevebrill

Here's another great source of information with excellent pictures and discussion. The author, Steve Brill, is a Forum member.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla...er/Plants.html
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Oh, you bet. Benesse did one of his tours a couple of weeks ago. Wild Man sort of sets the standard for what I want to be when I grow up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That is a great link! Thanks!

I get to pick up where I left off last year trying to learn more useful plants.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

I posted about my tour with Steve in the "what did you do to prepare..."
    thread. After harvesting over 3lbs of Japanese Knotweed on the tour I tried his recipe for Strawberry-Knotweed cobbler--easy and delicious.
    I included the recipe in my post but he's got it and many more on his site too.
    My next recipe will feature Pokeweed since it could be found in abundance right now in Central Park.
    I've never been this excited about anything since I got Poco's knife.

Thanks for posting that link Ken.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, you bet. Benesse did one of his tours a couple of weeks ago. Wild Man sort of sets the standard for what I want to be when I grow up.
    don't you mean "IF", Rick?

I'd love to get that pokeweed recipe Benesse, I have several sprouts staked out and I'd like to pick them before they turn red.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Tomato, tomahto. At least we agree there is still some maturing to do.

Benesse, dear, do be careful with the poke weed. Make certain you make at least two changes of water when preparing it. All parts of common pokeweed are toxic to humans, pets and livestock. You can absorb the juice of the plant through your skin.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weed...ord.asp?id=270
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Tomato, tomahto. At least we agree there is still some maturing to do.

Benesse, dear, do be careful with the poke weed. Make certain you make at least two changes of water when preparing it. All parts of common pokeweed are toxic to humans, pets and livestock. You can absorb the juice of the plant through your skin.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weed...ord.asp?id=270
    Steve has said as much and he spells it out on his website.
    He also said something funny about using pokeweed (the wrong way) in a recipe for your boss.
    He is a regular cut-up that Steve.

I've used Steve's book and website to ID, in part, and to prepare several wild edibles this spring.

If he didn't try to force tofu down everyones' throat I'd probavly use more of his recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    I've used Steve's book and website to ID, in part, and to prepare several wild edibles this spring.

If he didn't try to force tofu down everyones' throat I'd probavly use more of his recipes.
    rwc, you can absolutely substitute tofu for chicken or any other meat you like without compromising the recipe if you like the rest, that is. I was blown away with some of the stuff he shared with us for lunch...like ice cream made with Japanese Knotweed. I haven't tried to make it because I don't have an ice cream maker but otherwise it's worth a try.

Here's another really good link from Wildman Steve: http://foragingpictures.com/ I like it because it specifically lists inedible and poisonous plants and then breaks mushrooms up into edible and inedible too.