Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WAREAGLE is Right.......WE the MEMBERS are KILLING OUR Forum..It has become a JOKE !!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Sarge, I think Sourdough might appreciate a lady friend more than a door. Now how can we pull that off?
    (maybe the two go hand in hand though--get the door first, the women will follow)

Thank you, but this should be the last year for the outhouse. With luck the outhouse will moved to a new location & become the new generator shed. What is crystal clear from the owner of this house I have wintered in, is that it is to be sold ASAP. So I had better get my arse in gear this summer, however I still have 39" of snow on the ground, and the property is only accessible by snow machine till mid-May.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Sarge, I think Sourdough might appreciate a lady friend more than a door. Now how can we pull that off?
    (maybe the two go hand in hand though--get the door first, the women will follow)
    Maybe even a survival Inflatable would be nice

(sorry, Couldn't help it)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Maybe even a survival Inflatable would be nice

(sorry, Couldn't help it)

Aaaahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
    That's the funniest post, in months!

(And yes...I would chip in, to get him one! He may be a curmudgeon, but he's still one of us.)
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 04-21-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Everyone has a valid point. It sounds like a cheep way of avoiding the original start of this thread. Maybe it is. The off track direction some posts take is annoying at times and yes makes me chuckle. This is part of the comfort we have with each other we call "family", I value that stress relief.

The off topic joke stuff seems to be a barometer indicating a need for distraction from, as sourdough said;"the financial and social foundations of America, and the entire inter-woven world of man-kind is dancing on the the edge of some horrible lurking event."

Lets face it economically who owns US.

I see off topic diversions in conversations at church, pipe band practice at the store. A lot of joking around serious discussions. Its part of hanging out. Maybe its because I'm new to WV and still making friends but I seem to want to just hang out with those who I consider "birds of a feather". I'm stressed money is getting tight prep is slowed way down. Joking and hanging out helps.

As much as I enjoy the jokes I don't know how this effects the forum, this was the original purpose of this thread. Is hanging out effecting the forum negatively? I value the opinion of what has been called the core members of this forum. Some think so.

I'm done blathering. The only suggestion I have is redirecting the thread back to its original subject after the joke has been made out of courtesy to the poster.

just my 1¢ worth. (on a budget)
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 04-21-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

If you don't want anything but dry information, look it up. I know my part of the country pretty well by now but I still can learn and I don't bother with any other forums, waay too busy. I don't read everything, don't know everything either. Ain't got any complaints and if it's going down the crapper I stumbled on it, liked the straight up agreements & disagrements and get a laugh. If you don't like it, move on. If you don't like what I might type ban me. Nough said.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Before coming to this forum, I was a member of 4 other forums. I also lurked on a few others. I just added this to the list. Three of the other forums relate slightly to this one, but mostly not. They are all about backpacking and hammocks. But despite the difference in topics, there seems to be a common factor, people like to mess around. Anyways, I lost my train of thought. Keep it the way it is.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This forum has provided many people with valuable information. Yes, it seems these days that you have to sift through a lot of worthless sand to get to the gold, but the information is there.

Maybe 90% useful content is a bit much to expect from a public forum, but think about this:

Do you go to a football game and sit there and talk about basketball all afternoon?

Do you have over a 1000 posts in less than six months, 90% of those have nothing to do with survival?

Have you read a thread started on a topic you were interested in only to find that it has gone off topic before the end of the first page?

Remember, the commercial value of a forum is based on the number of it's members and the volume of the hits it receives. You can talk about most anything as long as you keep coming back.

The quality of the forum is in the hands of it's members.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

IMHO I respectfully disagree true their is some information that some may look at as useless or drivel. To me some of it is just that, however some is social interaction from friends who can't get together snywhere else. I know I myself have posted "non-survival" information. But as red lake said. Posts that don't relate or don't interest me I skip over. IMO if we go to the "training manual" postings and dry statistics them one of the reasons I come here, friends and the comraderie will be gone. Then how mwny members will do likewise? Like Poco that's just my two cents worth.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I understand Oldsoldier and your right about the majority of the members. I do believe the forum has evolved into a social club, and that's what the majority wants.

I wondering if eHarmony though is talking survival now?

Still Friends buddy, hope to see you soon.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Today is my two year Anniversary of joining this motley collective of curmedgeons, cutthroats, dirt bags and dim wits. I came here for wilderness survival discussions, but I stay here for the community. Some of you aren't nearly as funny or witty as you might think. BUT, since I have few friends... I keep coming back and reading your pathetic and boring attempts at humor, and sometimes get a laugh, and heck sometimes even gain a nugget of wisdom on something relevant to my life

I belive there is only one way to learn wilderness survival skills...that's boots in the field experiece. Other than that, its all just talk and theory, and I find plenty of both of those here. Personally, I don't mind a little bad humor with my "talk and theory" learning on-line. If I want to read dry discussion of survival techniques I'll read Tom Brown, or Thomas Elpel...but if i want a sense of community, a sense of humor, then I'll read some here- then go outside and try to apply the reading to my life.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Take this anyway you like, but the wrong way.

I lurked on this site for a very long time before joining almost 9 months ago. The reason I joined and decided to participate was due to the fact that everyone seemed friendly and didn't mind helping the "newbies" like myself. Sure, occasionally I have seen a few veterans be a little snippy when it comes to questions that have been asked a few dozen times, but they did point out that the question has been answered before. I am one of the few that does not mind seeing the same questions raised. Why? Because maybe someone has learned something new regarding that issue and will be able to share their experience.

During the 9 months I have been here I have only asked a few questions regarding items I wanted to purchase. The answers I received contained information I found to be very helpful, and thus I printed off said information and saved for later use.

I have also started threads that have been derailed. It's usually due to inside jokes like those you would hear at a family reunion. I just take it in stride and try to get the thread back on topic. Sometimes it fails, other times it does not.

I will admit that I am one of those not fond of the Ken vs. 2dumb thread and to be honest it almost put me off from joining this forum, mostly because I didn't fully understand why it was being done. But I decided to observe for a time and in the end decided to join. Like a few others I only participate in threads that I am interested in and avoid those I am not interested in.

In the end a forum is a meeting place of like minded individuals in which they can share their experiences. So please share away.

Personally, I have never read any of the "Ken vs 2 dumb" thread...the post title seems to even be OT and all an inside joke. I figure it has nothing to do with Wilderness survival- or me. So, I've never read it.

maybe we should have an Off Topic section that is just shenanigans...not even general chat...just sillyiness. Then anytime someone makes an OT post to a regular thread, the poster or a mod can transer it over to the OT section, and those of us just looking for shiits and giggles can hang out in that section and the real on-topic threads can stay clean
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
    Personally, I have never read any of the "Ken vs 2 dumb" thread...the post title seems to even be OT and all an inside joke. I figure it has nothing to do with Wilderness survival- or me. So, I've never read it.

maybe we should have an Off Topic section that is just shenanigans...not even general chat...just sillyiness. Then anytime someone makes an OT post to a regular thread, the poster or a mod can transer it over to the OT section, and those of us just looking for shiits and giggles can hang out in that section and the real on-topic threads can stay clean
    We could call it "The Wastelands" or "The Badlands" and that's where the mods can put all of our OT threads and the like.

I was a member of another board unrelated to the subject matter of survival. The conversation lounge/general chat receive more post then any other area. I made friends I still talk to now because of that place.

Anyways, a movement was started to close the general conversation lounge and concentrate more on the subject. The board is all but dead. Oddly enough, it was the owners who enforced the moment more then the members.

Some threads do drift pretty far off topic, but given the information received, its a minor detour. I like it here, and am not looking forward to any changes.

Boker
    Ken has helped me out so much with legal stuff, I need to keep track of it so I can pay him back. I will be placing a 'score card' in my sig as a reminder.

DEBT:

Repaid:

I'll read some here- then go outside and try to apply the reading to my life.
    I avoid some topics completely because they are just too arguementive and even quit posting on a topic I may have started. Rather than explain what they don't know to them at aggrivation to myself I am content to chuckle to myself and let them go into the wilderness with a fully stocked Altoid tin and a wire saw. I like comparing different experiences and even intellegent questions from less experienced but I only share what I choose with those I choose. The rest can learn the hard way. This is like wathing TV for me and if I will just change the channel to see what else is on if I loose interest. I do wish some of the jokes were as funny as the posts are informative.

PS-please don't post anymore pictures of fat guys in thongs!
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 04-21-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Hey now....

Today is my two year Anniversary of joining this motley collective of curmedgeons, cutthroats, dirt bags and dim wits.
    who you callin a cursmuge...uh curonion...anywho, I resemble that remark.

Anyway, who you gonna listen too? Guys you like? Or guys you don't?

Here's some other "Non-Wilderness-Survival" stuff that goes on here:

The Dept. of Caring.

Knife give-aways.

support for injured members; remember when Beo got cut up by "Johnny Butter-butt," & shot while over-seas? What about Kilkak's Mrs. & Gray Wolf?

Think about it people; this IS survival!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

I agree Sarge,, Living through all the "Bad" jokes (Ken) , Is a form of survival

I have never read the Ken vs 2D thread either.

Anyways, I thought the general chat area was an OT section.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    who you callin a cursmuge...uh curonion...anywho, I resemble that remark.

Anyway, who you gonna listen too? Guys you like? Or guys you don't?

Here's some other "Non-Wilderness-Survival" stuff that goes on here:

The Dept. of Caring.

Knife give-aways.

support for injured members; remember when Beo got cut up by "Johnny Butter-butt," & shot while over-seas? What about Kilkak's Mrs. & Gray Wolf?

Think about it people; this IS survival!
    Thanks sarge i couldn't agree more
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    huntermj,
    Thank you for your honesty.....I respect that.

To the rest of the members,
    If you think my post bring this forum down, then grow a pair and say so.
    I promise you, I don't want to be anywhere that I'm not welcome.
    No, in a way it "livens it up" with "Comic relief. Sometimes I read your and Ken's thread, sometimes I don't. It all depends on the mood I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Third-poco.

You talk about how great this forum is, and how you like everyone so much, but you just keep complaining about how the forum works. You said that you used to spend hours here, but now you only spend a few minutes here. Well, with all that spare time, here's an idea.....if you are interested in a thread, spend the extra two seconds and click on it, to see if there are any post that you have not read!

I think I'm through venting now.

Anybody else want to talk???
    I do use the "Todays Posts", but that doesn't always work right either. This isn't a problem that Just I am having either. Batch, Dogman, RWC1969 also have/had the same problem. When there is a problem I report it. If it gets fixed I shut up, if it doesn't I keep reporting it. Just think of me as the squeal button on the brake pads!! Or the Knocking sound a motor makes just before it throws a rod!!